Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 Special Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Freemoe, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Freemoe

Freemoe
    from Fowler, CA

Two months ago I purchased a good old fashion 29 Ford Model A special coupe. Nice stock four banger with some rattle can paint here and there. When I bought the car I was told it did run but the wiring needed to be looked over, not much of a wiring harness stock. New tires and to sweeten the deal all the books to learn from, glad the HAMB isn't in book form.

Last few weeks I've felt like I've been studying for the final exam which was to drive a Model A. Today was that day. I have much to learn, fix and memories to make and that is why I keep at it.

List of new and standing issues.
    Breaks - Have a lead on juice brakes.
    Steel wheels, maybe 40’s Ford after brake upgrade.
    Water pump - squeak.
    Transmission - noise in 2nd.

On its way to its new home. 20141029_164948.jpg
    After a few weeks of work
    20141030_180215.jpg
    First drive / test drive/ inspection drive
    IMG_0751.JPG-1.jpeg

Dave Mc likes this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Looks nice to me --but I am a little biased on these cars. Best wishes!

Pete 12-21-14b.jpg 12-21-14b.jpg

maplefrm likes this.
  3. Remember if you run wire wheels on hydraulic drums you need adapters, and if you run solid wheels on mechanical brake drums you need adapters. I for one like the wire wheels and run the adapters with hydraulics on my '32. Remember that the transmission on a Model A has straight cut gears and will be a little noisier than later transmissions (go for a ride in another one). There are some good leakless water pumps for the Model A out there, ask on fordbarn.com. Wash, wax and a few minor repairs and then drive it for a year to decide what you want to do with it.

Charlie Stephens

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

My avatar is a 28 Special coupe I built in the early 90's and sold in the late 90's, had a V8 60 flathead, 40 brakes with 35 ford wires and they do need a spacer. I also have a 29 Special Coupe I rebuilt in the mid 80's, stocker but still fun. Always liked the Special Coupes, don't see that many of them. The leakless water pump is a good idea, I also run a modern points plate. Snyders has a lot of parts for Model A's and is good to deal with. I have a 30 Pickup with an inserted 4 banger, high compression head, modern distributor daily driver but a banger powered A is still a 50 mph car. I've had several and still have three now and drive them all the time.

Attached Files:

waxhead and Dave Mc like this.

5. Great looking car. HRP

6. Backage

Backage
    from New York

Hello, And good luck. I have been lurking around here for a few years and everyone has great answers and stuff. Just got a 35 Ford a few months ago. I think the Charlie Stephens said it right. Get it so you can drive and enjoy it with the good and bad. Then see what you want to do. Brian

7. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

Nice car... any updates?

8. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great start! I am biased towards special coupes too. I have heard they were Henry's favorite model.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456463078.702811.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456463107.637638.jpg

9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice looking coupe, watching.