Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Selling cars outside the USA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Mar 12, 2015.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I Have sold a number of cars outside the country over the years and always had great transactions with really good people. In the last five months I have sold three cars outside the country where people paid me immediately and I've never heard from them again and they've never come to pick up their cars. All were on Ebay and all ads specified that the cars were to be picked up in seven days.
    Does anyone know how long I need to be legally responsible for the cars? I don't want to store them or be responsible for potential theft

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I should specify that all three are vintage project cars with no titles and ranged from $2500-4500

3. Buyer won't respond to you? Seem like you could clear it through ebay???

4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Ebay doesn't handle transactions more than 90 days old.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I had a Dodge truck I sold to a guy in Italy, he paid, waited like 8 months, then wanted a refund because it would be too expensive to ship. I kept his money and resold the truck. That was several years ago.

I know after 6 months there's no way for them to reclaim their money through Paypal or a credit card chargeback, after that I think I'd just resell them. But it's going to suck storing cars for that long, and that's assuming the people never contact you.

Unfortunately, the arbitrary pick-up times you state in your ad don't mean shit to eBay, they'll always side with the buyer, so I think all you can really do is wait it out and see if they contact you.

6. Squablow

Squablow

the 90 day thing changed (slightly) in a recent rule change, now people can claim a "significantly not as described" as much as 180 days later. Apparently eBay and PayPal were getting hit with credit card chargebacks that they couldn't just pass on to the sellers, so they extended it out to 6 months to cover their own asses.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Seems I read about renting one of those first month free storage lockers and sending them the key.

jazz1 and unclescooby like this.
  8. The car I sold outside the United States that went to Tokyo was picked up within a week. HRP

9. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I can see it taking some extra time to arrange international shipping but five months without arranging for storage here is excssive in my opinion. I sent that car to storage four months ago and haven't paid the storage bill. I think they are going to auction the car off soon.
    The second one has been here for three months, and I'm thinking about just refurnding his money to his paypal account.
    The thirdy one has only been a couple of weeks.but he's given me five dates and then not shown up on any of them. I'm starting to look like a used car lot here.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

7 days to pick up a car, it is not reasonable for international sales, not easy to do if you are more than few hundred miles away, if i dont get a few weeks to get the car i do not consider even buying it,

look at this your giving only one week end at best to pick up a car for usa buyers, international guys need to make a lot of arrangements and you not giving them time to, even usa transport companies need a few weeks of notice,

11. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Yeah, I get that. That's why I didn't pester them until a month went by...then two...then three...then four...now five. No contact at all from the buyers. No replies to my messages.

12. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I also think 7 days isn't enough time. I have shipped cars that take weeks to get, and those are staying stateside. You have been pretty lenient with no contact , but I would pay the storage and resell that car yourself. Have you tried contacting thru ebay by looking up the buyer and message them. Good luck

13. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I would suggest you check with your state, county or municipality re: abandoned vehicle regs. Explain the circumstances, see what ordinances apply. I'm going to bet you get to keep/resell the projects after 90 days.

14. Notify them about your storage fees after 4 or 6 weeks. And the car won't be released untill the fees are paid.

15. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Here is the problem. It has become almost impossible to ship out of the US without a title, and almost as difficult to process it on arrival in the country of destination, even in countries that don't have titles.
    Many folk in those countries don't understand the importance of a title - after all they have never had titles for cars. It is likely that they can't find a shipper that will handle an untitled car and just don't know what to do.

One of the UK message boards frequently has the question " How difficult is it the get a title in the USA?" Further questioning usually reveals the same story " I bought a car from the US without a title - what do I do now?"

lothiandon1940 and unclescooby like this.
  16. I sold one to a fellow in new Zealand ,paid me asked if he could leave it for a while ,I said ok as long as I was not responsible for the car, he had to pay full cost of a shipping container so he decided to purchase a second car ,in a while a fellow showed up with a roll back to haul car to port for shipping, overall worked out good, as the one fellow stated it may take awhile for arrangements to be made ,in the end we are all car collectors where ever we live maybe try to work with them as much as possible ,have to think if shoe was on the other foot lol

17. my car had a title ,but was just curious as the cars were all listed as projects with no titles if they could be shipped as parts only, what would be the regulations on this, anybody know for sure

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I sold a car a few years ago to a guy in Finland and was very clear about the lack of title. It eventually got abandoned outside a port when they couldn't ship it. I've been VERY clear about that fact since. I'm positive this is what has happened with the car I've had for 5 months. Maybe with the car I've had for three also. If they'd just communicate I'd gladly resell the car for them or even maybe buy them back minus storage.
    Right now I'm just kind of in a bind for space

19. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Depends on where you are shipping to. I may have some input on this but think this is not a subject for discussion on this forum. If anyone wants help PM me a phone number

20. oldolds

oldolds

That is one of the problems with selling things on the internet to buyers worldwide. The rules are different in every state and every country. Nobody can really answer what is legal. I would guess that, given the value of these parts cars, you could just resell these cars. There are few lawyers that would take a case for 33% of $4500 on an international case. At the most that will ever happen is that you will have to give the money back plus the profit you might make if you sell it for more the next time. If you refuse you might not be allowed in that country because you are a criminal in that country. I am not a lawyer, but I watched Perry Mason last night!

21. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

France and New Zealand are the countries of destination

22. I bought a car from the U.S., and was in constant contact with the seller before it was picked up. Yes, a some folks outside the U.S. don't know (and don't care) about titles, but nothing leaves the U.S. without one. There is no requirement for a title to enter most countries.
    Even though they might have to ring you in the middle of their night, I would be calling you at least to let you know what is going on. After 3 months of no contact (I think they have telephones and email in most countries, even France and New Zealand!), I would consider the cars yours again to resell, etc. If they come back in 6 months and say "where's my car", you can say "6 months storage at $100 per day = probably more than the car is worth" where is my remaining storage fee?",
    We use this for deadbeats who move out and leave all their crap behind, and then call a year later- "where's my stuff?". They never come back.

23. GaryN

GaryN

I found this info on line regarding exporting a vehicle from the U.S. into Canada. The rules changed last year and I would assume are the same no matter what country the vehicle is being exported too. I don't know if this new rule is maybe what has caused your problems or not but food for thought.

If you are planning to buy a used vehicle in the United States and bring it home to Canada, a new U.S. government rule means a bit more legwork.
    If you don't do it, it could cost you a lot more money.
    The rule requires electronic export information (EEI) to be filed for any used "self-propelled vehicles" -- any automobile, truck, tractor, bus, motorcycle, motor home, agricultural machinery, construction equipment or any other kind of special-use machinery designed for running on land -- through the U.S. government's automated export system (AES).
    "Starting April 5, the exporter in the U.S. is required to file automated export system information. They have to report to the U.S. Census to tell them who they are, what they're sending, who it's going to, in a nutshell," said Trevor Franzmann, sales and marketing manager at A.D. Rutherford International, a Winnipeg customs broker who works with customers on both sides of U.S.-Canada.
    "This is absolutely making it more difficult to buy a vehicle in the U.S. and bring it across the border."
    Statistics Canada's international accounts and trade division figures for 2013 showed there were 1,332 self-propelled vehicles imported to Manitoba alone from the U.S., for a total value of about $44 million. Across Canada in 2013, there were 18,441 vehicles brought in from the U.S., for a total value of more than $555 million
    Since April 5, self-propelled vehicles exported from the U.S. to Canada are no longer exempt from AES filing. The filing must take place 72 hours prior to crossing the border.
    A fine up to $10,000, under the U.S. Census Bureau foreign trade regulations, can be levied for failing to submit the AES information.
    "It's excessive, to say the least. The bottom line is it (the vehicle purchased) is not going to be allowed in the country (Canada) if you don't file your AES filing," Franzmann said.
    An "informed compliance" period is in place until Oct. 2, giving people time to figure out the new requirements. Franzmann said Canadian buyers of vehicles from the U.S. should start complying right now or risk having the vehicle held up at the border.
    "People should also be aware that, even though there is informed compliance right now, U.S. Customs has the right to deny you entry if you don't file the AES," he said.
    Once the AES filing has been completed, an internal transaction number (ITN) will be assigned. The importer or a customs broker needs to present that number to U.S. Customs and Border Protection to bring the vehicle across the border.
    "Simply, it ends up being the Canadians' responsibility to make sure AES filing is done, because that vehicle is not going to get into the country (Canada) unless you are provided with an ITN, an internal transaction number," Franzmann said.
    A potential problem is that to complete the AES filing, the U.S. seller is required to have a federal tax identification number called an EIN. Private individuals in the U.S. might not have an EIN number but, under the new rule, the American seller will have to get one to comply with the AES filing.
    That means taking the time to apply to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, and some private sellers don't want to do that.
    "What we're telling our customers is find out if the seller has or will get an EIN number. If the seller won't, don't buy or get your money back," Franzmann said.
    Another possible point of confusion is which person is ultimately responsible for the AES filing.
    Dale Kelly, chief of the U.S. foreign trade division, said that can vary with the location of the Canadian purchasing the vehicle.
    "If the person from Canada (the importer) is actually in the U.S. at the time the goods are purchased or obtained for export, then that person/company/individual is considered the U.S. principle party in interest and responsible for the filing of the AES," Kelly said in a telephone interview from Washington, D.C.
    "Only if the merchandise was sold by a U.S. person or company and the Canadian person never came to the U.S., then that U.S. company would be considered the U.S. principal party in interest."
    Canadians importing a vehicle must be prepared to meet all requirements at the U.S. border in addition to paying fees and taxes.

24. chrisp

chrisp

I bought a car in the US, no title, imported it as parts, but after that it's impossible to title which I knew already. If the buyer doesn't know that, he is screwed. But they should let you know what's going on, unless they're in the hospital or worse.

25. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought and exported a couple of cars over the years from the U.S., so far without any problems. However, I always use an experienced shipping company and ask them what documents/information they need BEFORE I buy the car, so that I can communicate with the seller whether theses documents are available or can be organized. Doing it like this the sellers never had to wair longer than about 10 days until the cars got picked up (the bank money transfer also takes about 4-6 days normally). I think there is no valid reason (expcept severe illness maybe) to let several months pass without contacing the seller or having agreed on delayedpick-up terms before. If the buyer was able to contact the seller prior to buying the car and do all the necessary purchase steps, why would it be so difficult to contact him afterwards if there are some problems with the pick-up?
    As mentioned above I would try to contact the buyer and give him a reasonable deadline until when the cars have to be picked up latest, otherwise you would either store them at his expense or re-sell them. Or, as you mentioned, it may be the easiest to offer to buy them back minus storage costs...

26. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I shipped 15 or so HAMB'ish friendly cars from the US to UK and Ireland and never had an issue. Always had a title and bill of sale. Without title, I suspect it would be VERY difficult if not impossible. Departing the US is one thing and is dependent on US law but once that happens it is all down to the point of ingress and applicable laws there.

I moved to the US in 2004 and the reverse, shipping to the US was equally simple. Removal of all glass, lights, motor and trans converts it from a car to car parts...then title was issued upon the MSO... This was advised to me by a customs office in Miami, he was right.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, what a mess.

28. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

hi,ive shipped three cars from usa to uk in the last four yrs..the trouble is it cant leave the usa without the title.you can ship it as parts ,but it has to be dismantled a bit to get it through.you also need the title in the uk to get it correctly registered.if it has the title and is pre 1950 the duties and taxes are a lot cheaper.you can still get it registered if there is no title,you have to get vehicle verified/inspected by an owners club to clarify and confirm the car is of a certain year.is a lot of aggro but you can do it and have the patience.

29. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I once sold a car to a guy who lived in Mexico. He paid me, wanted the title mailed, which I did. He didn't pick the car up for 5 months. I drove the car the whole 5 months.

30. All you want,and should expect is some contact from the buyers,
    they're the ones that shelled out the loot in the first place,maybe they
    have to much!Compulsive buy maybe then got to hard?
    Resell them and sit on the loot less storage for awhile then move on.
    What else are you meant to do?