Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical do all 455 olds engine water pumps stick out the same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Im buying a water pump for my early 70's 455 olds engine..question..is there a shorter water pump as i plan on putting that 455 in my 56 oldsmobile and would like the extra room for a bigger radiator..thanks..i just didnt know if there was certain ones that were shorter

2. swifty

swifty

My son fitted a 455 in his 55 Olds, used the fan off the 324 and the original radiator and has trouble getting the temperature up to a suitable running temperature. During the winter he has about half the radiator blocked off with a piece of cardboard. And the engine is definitely not standard either so I doubt that you will need a bigger radiator if your existing one is in good condition.

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Look at a 65 Olds 88 this is a full size with a 425 engine, I believe the WP's are the same but shorter. I own one it has no air.

Pat

5. I

i live in the desert southwest..im more worried about heat than the cold

6. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

There's a difference in length......difference comes in whether or not the original was an A/C equipped engine or not. I think there's about 5/8 difference in overall length from gasket mounting surface to block, to the face of the fan hub. I seem to recall the crank pulley and the water pump pulley have a difference in offset also........

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As far as I know the only difference is the impeller, I don't recall any difference in length, I may be wrong, but thought pulleys were the same between A/C and non A/C engines

8. spooler41

spooler41

Cobalt, don't know if this will help or not. In the early '70"s I put a '67 Pontiac OHC 6
    in a '37 Chev cp., when it was time to reinstall the front end sheet metal,I found I needed
    about 2.5 " more space for the fan and water pump shaft clearance. I was able to swap the
    mounts on the radiator , side to side and gained about 2" , but still needed another inch or so.
    I looked at the water pump shaft, which had about 2.5" of bare shaft beyond the cast housing
    so I found a flat pulley and pushed the pulley flange back 1.50" then cut off the excess.
    In the end I had .75" clearance on the fan to radiator and it was perfect .
    Now if you have extra space on the pump shaft you may consider the same solution .

.................................. Jack

9. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Olds had three different length water pumps of all of the modern designs. 260 through the 455 engines.