Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 vs 48 ford daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vetteman61, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

I have very little experience with the 40 Fords, but lately I've been looking into a driver quality for daily use since I typically stay within the city limits. I have a '31 Chevrolet and a '57 Chevrolet, both with the original 6 cylinders and I find that the '31 Chevrolet isn't very practical for daily use but the 57 is very usable as a daily driver.

Is there a similar distinction between the 40 and 41 fords versus the post war 46-48 cars? For all I know they may be practically the same with only sheet metal differences, but they could also be entirely different cars. I'm not sure when they switched to hydraulic brakes or differences in engines.

I think I somewhat prefer the styling of the 40 and 41 prewar cars, but I'm not sure what types of issues they may bring with them.

Any info from those that have these original cars would be helpful, thanks.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

41-8 are very similar though the 40 isn't much different.

They are basically the same cars just that the later 40's models are a fair amount larger than the 40 will be.

Well that and there is a waaaaaaay bigger aftermarket selection for the 40. There's tons and tons of 42-48 stuff thats nearly hens teeth.

Though to be fair you'll pay a lot more for a 40 than a 47 so that does offset that issue

I love my 46 and I don't know anyone with one that doesn't think they are the best cars ford ever built.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh, and ford went to juice brakes in 39 if you wanted a date to use in the future.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

the biggest difference is that the 40 is beautiful and the others, not so much

LSGUN, RICH B, belair and 2 others like this.

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

For me, 1939-1951 were outstanding years for the Ford design team. Manyolcars says that the 40 is beautiful (thanks) but there is not a whole lot wrong with any of them.

6. My '40 stake truck is all original driveline & brakes. I drive it around town quite a bit, as well as longer runs too. My coupe has a 350 and 8" rear, but does have a dropped axle, split bones and disc brakes. Both drive great and are seen regularly on the streets and highways in SWMO.

As far as your question goes...nothing cooler than driving an old car around town.

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm with you on this one, but I'd have to say I actually prefer the 41 to the 40. The, rather rare, 42's and the 46-48's don't look near as good to start out with, in their stock form IMO... have you ever noticed that the world at large thinks that the 40 was the last prewar model year for Ford?

41FordSuperDeluxe likes this.
  8. Besides the huge price difference between the '39-40 and '41-48, the big difference is physical size. The later cars are a bit bigger outside, but a lot bigger inside. As to aftermarket support, it's not bad on the later cars. The '41-42 models have some hard-to-find stuff, but there's a pretty good selection for the '46-48 cars, particularly the '48s.

While I love the looks of a '40, I really like the driving comfort my '47 offers.

patmanta and 41FordSuperDeluxe like this.
  9. I believe most consider that the '40 was the last pre-war Ford that really mattered. LOL

patmanta likes this.
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

When it comes to buying one, the '46-'48 models are definitely more affordable. I've also considered picking up a '46-'48 sedan as just a driver... great old cars.

Malcolm

11. donno

donno

46-48 are definetly more "Budget Sensitive" and roomier. Like my 46 Coupe so well, have a 48 Merc to keep her company

12. mustangsix

mustangsix

As mentioned, post war cars are a little roomier (not by much), but the driving experience is very similar. I would just go with the best looking car your budget can stand.

I have to say though, that as a daily driver, a stock 40-48 would be a challenge to live with in some places. In a more rural setting, you're probably ok, but if you were in a high density place like here, Orlando, it would be a lot tougher.

Here it usually seems like a choice of either high speed expressway or stop & go traffic. No fun in any kind of car.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Weight...the lighter '40 would be better with flathead, weight difference not important with big engine.
    Original suspension entirely adequate for modern world IF properly restored. '42-8 probably has a slight edge in handling and ride.
    Brakes...again, a weight issue. On cars this size go to discs. Lots of kits out there, including at least one with original bolt pattern.

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You want a Hot Rod? Get a 40
    You want a Family Car? Get a 46

bchrismer likes this.
  15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My '47 coupe is a pleasure to drive with a smooth ride and surprisingly good road manners. If I had the money for a '40 Deluxe coupe, I'd have one of those, too!

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I would go for the 40, don't know why

40fordtudor likes this.
  17. Model T1

Model T1

I have a 39 Ford coupe and a 41 2-door sedan. The 41 is way bigger inside.
    1939 was the first year for hydraulic brakes. 1941 is an off breed when it comes to frame and body parts.
    Both are Chevys in discuise so I can't help.
    46-48 cheaper for parts and more available.

18. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Thank you everyone for the great information. My reasons for consideration are this: I have a few cars and recently have started a family with an almost-2 year old and another on the way in 3 months as well as a job that begins at 5 am. I pick up the kids on the way home. As a result, I have very, very little time for my passion, which is old cars. The older cars I have I try to keep preserved as well as I can, but this means waxing, weekly washes, etc if I drive them daily and they sit out. This can be a daunting process. I have tried to drive a souless newer car daily and even if all I'm doing is driving to and from work, I find, in all honesty, that I feel like a big part of my life is missing if I can't daily drive some type of older car. I truly, truly, truly hate new cars. As a result I've considered getting something that can be daily driven but doesn't have to be super-maintained as far as paint goes. I like some of the rarer cars, like Nashs and Plymouths and the like but I fear that, as I found with my '31 Chevrolet, more obscure cars means that if something breaks it can be a huge pain and a huge cost to try to replace. I'm not familar with the flatheads, though I don't mind learning. I figure that the Fords are so popular that mechanical parts should be much easier to not only find, but find people that understand them. For example, the stock engine on my '31 chevy is a 194 with babbit bearings and finding people that understand the small details of working on this old stuff is difficult. Not hard, but difficult (I am a member of various, very helpful forums). So that is my reasoning behind a 40s Ford.
    After seeing your comments, in my personal opinion I agree that the earlier 40s Fords are better looking (no offense to the later 40s guys, it's just my preference), however looks take a second seat to affordability and usability. What I really would like is a 40s car that I can use every day (I drive about 6 miles to work daily), drive in the rain and park outside every day and not feel anxiety every time a bird craps on it, and be able to actually have an old car. I know it may sound dumb, but I really get kind of depressed when my daily routine involves driving (say a Nissan Versa) every day. I really love connecting with the past and I just want to be able to do that with a car that's easy to work on and has an easier parts availability than say a 38 buick straight 8. I'm not really interested in a dented fender or something like that. I'm sure lots of people understand, but when I see an example it just kind of speaks and I can't quite put my finger on it but some vehicles have it and some just don't, even when they're the same year and color.
    Given the helpful information, it seems like for what I'd want the 46-48 would fit my criteria. At least now I have the information to help narrow down my craigslist searches.

Thanks,

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. My first daily driver was a '40 coupe. I couldn't afford on of those late model '48's..

20. I've had a 1939 Deluxe Coupe and now I own a 1946 Deluxe Coupe- The 39/40 smaller inside and no rear seat though some had jump seats- the 1946 has a full back seat in the Coupe/Sedan and no rear seat in the Business Coupe- if you are hauling a family the 46/48 Coupe/Sedan makes it easier-

21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

It sounds like you're going to want to do some street rod type stuff to a nice beater 46/48 if you're going for daily driver/family car use that you don't overly worry about. By this I'm alluding to disc brakes up front (dual MC if not power boosted) and an OHC EFI powerplant and a 12v system to match. I certainly would see no shame in that; you'd still be driving a hot rod DAILY.

22. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Buy a good running beater, yea they are all expensive, but getting an older build you can leave it outside and not worry about chips and paint fade. With only 6 miles you could drive a flattie, but the simple SBC is great, easy to fix, and parts are still available at the parts counter. The '46 will give you the room for the family and the saftey of size of the 'just in case'. I drive 12 miles to work with the choice of freeway or surface, the time is about the same but surface is better for my 6 cylinder 63 Comet, or my 454 powered 59 Ford Panel. I also drive my OT race car hauler 95 Suburban, but it is covered with race decals including the Bonneville ones which makes it very unique to other 'moderns' on the road. When my 40 pick up is running I love to make high speed freeway runs with the tri power 327 and four speed it is my 'hot rod'. I am not bragging on what I have, I have no kids to support or worry about, but what I am saying is yes it is a tough choice of 'one' driver, but I have been collecting for over 25 years and I buy cheep usually not running and I get them running for how I plan to use them. 40's are great bodies and I love them. But for driving as a commute and for a family with small ones, I would think more to the 50's, better suspensions, breaks, drive line that are sometime just a swap, some areas of the US still have them in the junk yards, and parts are at the parts counter, wheels cylinders for my 54 wagon project were on the shelf of our small local AutoZone (sorry for the plug). You can drive a show car to work everyday, but it will drive you crazy.

patmanta likes this.
  23. Hey Vetteman61,

Not my car, but I saw this one on Craigslist out on Oklahoma City for $11,000.

[​IMG]
    A dropped axle and reversed eye springs and you would have a great starting point for your daily driver.
    bc

24. Model T1

Model T1

Think about an early station wagon, 50's thru 60's. Plenty of room, different, new enough to be safe and dependable. Easy to put a car seat in and groceries in the rear. It's a mini van, SUV, and hot rod all rolled into one

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

No need for engine swap for reliability if you properly appreciate importance of good wiring and carefully assembled carb and distributor for daily use. Points are NOT fidgety or unreliable if you get good ones...
    On a car this size, a flathead is plenty for daily driving at any speed but will not be a rocket. 3,200 plus pounds, circa 250 cubes.
    I would go modern on brakes on a car of that size, though. Suspension will do fine assuming you replace bushings and get everything tight and pointed the right way...just good mechanics, nothing special needed. IMHO the early Fords are better handling sportier rides than '50's and '60's barges...

bchrismer and patmanta like this.
  26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

If you like the sound of this suggestion, Stealth Cruiser, here on HAMB and located in S. metro Atlanta, has a '59 Ford wagon for sale. this is a running driveable. registered and insured driver with 332cid FE engine and Cruiematic drive transmission. I don't remember if it's 2 or 4 door.
    If you're interested, either "start a conversation" with him or let me know and include phone or email and I'll contact him if you send that info to me.
    He's a fellow member of the Sock Fuckers Car Club, is preparing to retire and move to Ecuador, and this is reason for selling.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

For a 6 mile commute it could be an out of tune stock 46 ford and make the drive just fine. Long as its not 6 miles on the freeway haha.

Also I'd say look for a 47-8 the 46 is my favorite but it carries a lot of one year only stuff. They re pop a lot more 47-8 stuff than 46 stuff

bchrismer likes this.
  28. Model T1

Model T1

My buddy back in Illinois has been driving a 46 Ford convertible with a small block Chevy since high school, back in 1955 or 56. Only problems with a convertible or coupe would be getting the car seats and kids in and out.
    Back when we had little kids we just tossed them in the back seat and drove off. No soccer moms to worry about.
    They carried metal lunch boxes, pocket knives, and cap guns to school too.

29. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

After the initial buy in, your costs are going to be the same. They all require engines, trans, brakes, tires, glass, etc ........ but a '40 will be the best bet in the long run. If you spend $6K on a non-running '40 Tudor and put another $4k in it, you might get your $10K investment back. But if you buy a $4K non running '48 Tudor and put another $4K in it, you probably won't get that $8K back.

30. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

For me, keeping it original is a big part of what I enjoy, to a degree. I don't mind disc brakes, and I also typically install LED taillights after almost being rear-ended by non-attentive drivers that now expect 3rd brakelights while they're on their cellphones. I also don't mind a stereo if it's hidden, but a carburetor doesn't bother me for daily driving. It's what's on my daily driver now.

I guess maybe I was off on my thinking, but I had hoped that I could get a running, but perhaps non-aesthetically pleasing 47 or 48 Ford, perhaps one of the less desirable models like a 4 door or a 2 door sedan, for around 2 grand. No hubcaps and dents don't really don't bother me and honestly the more plane jane and undesirable the better. Something like these...

[​IMG]

or this if it had an engine
    [​IMG]