Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering on the cheap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy Gasser, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Guys ask about how many coils to cut to lower their cars. A couple years ago I lowered the front end of my '55 Chevy probably an inch or more. It cost less than $10, only an hour or two, and was reversible. How? I used stainless steel hose clamps to clamp the coils together. I clamped one coil or should I say one full circle, maybe just a little more. As I remember I was only able to clamp the spring (s) together maybe 5/8 if an inch but that lowered the front end noticeably and it fit my purpose nicely. I only used two clamps per side. I did use a couple extra clamps to help pull them down though, as I remember.

2. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Personally wouldn't trust the hose clamp method. Ive seen way too many fail on hoses!

wvenfield likes this.
  3. I'll second that. HRP

4. I've seen a lot of "I fixed it" pictures. This could be one of them.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not trying to push this idea on anyone else but I have used these to raise a vehicle and saw where they have been used to lower em by flipping the parts that goes around the spring inward and drawing the coils together.
    [​IMG]

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Problem I've seen with these is keeping them from sliding.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Many years ago when I was poor I lowered my Chevy with J bolts. Drilled holes in the lower A-frames inside the spring seats opposite the shock mounting holes and dropped the J bolts through, hooked over the spring, nuts underneath.
    [​IMG]

lawman likes this.
  8. May work OK, but illegal down my end of this rock, and I'm OK with that.
    I'd rather spend the money, and know I, and my loved ones riding in my car are safe.

Martin Harris likes this.
  9. In today's world it is advantageous to do it correctly,trying to do something like lowering a car with clamps is not advisable.

Especially given the fact that most of us drive our cars and not just around town but out on the highways at speed and for long distances.

You sure don't want a cheap fix to cause a major problem and possibly a accident. HRP

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yea but sometimes it's fun to do it the old fashion way... Used spring jacks and/or clamps a lot in the old days and yea sometimes they flew off but never did any damage.. This is hot rod 101 isn't it???

lawman likes this.
  11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm good with saving a few bucks when I can, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using hose clamps and think I would prefer to spend a bit more to do it right.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep. There are many things in this hobby that aren't as safe as they could be in this modern world; drum brakes, bias ply tires. low ride height.. Personally I'd be a lot less worried about a spring clamp popping off.

13. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I don't see what wasn't safe. if a clamp would have broken the spring would have raised 1/2' or so and the car would have returned to normal ride height. I didn't do it to save money, it just didn't cost much. The main reason I did it was to see how the car looked and handled sitting just a little lower.

lawman likes this.
  14. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I never thought it was any more dangerous than guys who would throw several hundred pounds in the trunk to lower the rear end for a night or two just to see how that looks.

lawman likes this.
  15. jaybee

jaybee

Nothing wrong with that. See what it looks like, maybe drive it a bit to make sure you haven't created a problem. If you like what you did THEN cut the spring...with a cutoff wheel, not a torch.

lawman likes this.
  16. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

When I was 16, I had the local welding shop heat the front coils on my '47 Dodge More-door. I thought she looked righteous and it cost me only a buck (same as 4 gallons of gas). I named her Bouncin' Beaulah due to the way I could get her bouncing in second gear due to the rate change of the coils. I used to pack 8 buddies in that old hulk and we'd go to Dahio Drag Strip outside of Dayton. What a hoot!!!!

302GMC likes this.
  17. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

I took my coils to a local springmaker. I told him much I wanted them lowered by. He heated 'em up, reset them by compression, then heatreated 'em back to correct temper. Cost me less than a hundred bucks ($NZ) and he even painted them nice.
    No cutting, no clamps, no hassle.

kiwijeff likes this.