Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pressure plate & clutch for SBC to 39 three speed box

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dirty Fuel, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Hi All,
    I need some help in regards to where I can buy a clutch and pressure plate. I am getting a 39 three speed box rebuilt and I decided it would be best to replace the 11" clutch and pressure plate while it was all apart. However I have no idea where to source these parts and which parts I am actually after?

So what I need is a new 11 inch clutch and pressure plate which will be used on a SBC with an adapter to go on a 39 three speed gearbox.

Any tips on what I will need so that it all fits and goes together (or part numbers) would be greatly appreciated as this is my first build.

2. studebaker46

studebaker46

dirty fuel is there a rebuilder in your are that does like trucks,farm equipt,heavy equip. that's what most guys around here do

3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Studebaker46 is correct about rebuilders. I use South Bend Clutch ( south Bend, Indiana ). You will need a flywheel for SBC and pressure plate to fit flywheel; then clutch disk to fit the transmission input shaft. Since the throwout bearing is operated off the fork and shaft in the trans. case, it's length will have to fit the stackup of the pressure plate. Search for South bend clutch and call, if you don't have anyone local. I would recommend diaphragm style pressure plate.

4. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

I got my flywheel from Summit Racing. It was the best priced.

5. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will also need a pilot bushing that will accomodate the Ford input shaft into the Chevy crank. Available from Wilcap or Speedway. The traditional pressure plate to be used is a 1950 Mercury with the short fingers (there's also a long finger model, why I don't know). I also don't know why Mercury used this different bolt pattern (same as Chevy) for only '49 and '50. If your clutch guy can identify which Borg and Beck # is for the '50 Merc cover, he can make it for you. I also believe that if you use a diaphragm style pressure plate you will probably have to use a different throw out bearing and retainer. I have been told that the clutch disc hub needs to be flat on one side standard '40 Ford) or it will hit your flywheel bolt heads.

vic

6. I just purchased a setup for this from a member here. You need
    1. The transmission adapter, many makers and used ones for sale in the classifieds.
    2. Chevy 168 tooth flywheel
    3. 3 bolt Chevy Stovebolt starter
    4. The pilot bushing, Speedway sells for $20
    5. 50 Ford clutch and pressure plate.

My flywheel was drilled for the Ford as noted above the Mercury has the same bolt pattern as the Chevy but are pretty hard to find.

7. racer32

racer32

I've got the parts from an old hot rod that used this setup. If you need a pic, LMK.

8. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Where can you buy a merc clutch these days?

9. 42merc

42merc

`Try- Fort Wayne Clutch, for the '49-'50 Mercury clutch.
    A '50 Ford clutch will NOT work.

10. racer32

racer32

Gots some pics for you guys. Pressure plate:

IMG_5213.JPG IMG_5217.JPG

11. racer32

racer32

Stock SBC flywheel (date coded J1155!):

Attached Files:

12. hi all,
    thanks for all the discussion. I will have to take a look (and maybe some photos to post) of the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch I just took apart.

13. 32 4door

32 4door

Hi Pm, dago 88 he may be able to steer you in the right direction
    Cheers paul

14. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I got mine from wilcap

15. racer32

racer32

This is the Wilcap adapter you need:
    trans3.jpg trans1.jpg

16. Hi Guys,
    I managed to get 10 minutes spare so I could take some photos of what I have. I have an adapter, 168 tooth flywheel, clutch and pressure plate but I'm not certain they are the right type. The clutch is an 11" unit and from what I am reading it should actually be 10' or 10.5"? Also, I can not tell what adapter I have but it would seem as though the flywheel has been rubbing on it which makes me think it may not be the right application. Any help would be great as I am expecting to get a new 39 three speed gearbox which is being rebuilt by fellow Hamber HellsHotRods any day now and I want to make sure I have all the necessary bits before I put it all together. I had issues with my last gearbox which I was told was a 38 single synchro and I want to avoid any issues this time around.

Adapter
    Adapter1.jpg

The only ID I could find was this which looks like P6-4 ??
    adapter2.jpg

Where the flywheel has been rubbing
    adapter3.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Clutch
    clutch1.jpg

Pressure plate
    pressure1.jpg
    pressure2.jpg

18. Flywheel - 168 tooth
    flywheel1.jpg
    flywheel2.jpg
    flywheel3.jpg

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My trans adapter SBC to '39 Ford 3-spd is an Offenhauser, but it more closely resembles a bell housing rather than an adapter ring. The one in my '40 Ford is about 1 1/2" thick. It apparently is used with the '49-'53 flathead to '39 down trans.

20. Hi, can anyone help me ID my parts and advise if they are correct for my application? Or should I just start from scratch and purchase it all again?

21. Most of you guys trying to match pressure plates to flywheels miss one important factor,,The FINGERS in the pressure plate MUST always match the diameter of your T O Brg,,hence the 49-51 merc pressure plate as those cars also use a 1=1'/38 dia input shaft..There is NO diaphram pressure plate that will match to a 1x1 3/8 TO Brg..Correctly ...Pressure plate fingers need to ride in the center of T O Brg face