Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Who sells good paint at a reasonable price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Mar 11, 2015.

1. BJR

BJR

I am going to be painting my 49 Buick sometime this summer, and am looking for a paint dealer that sells good paint at an affordable price. I bought PPG most of my life, but at $400+ a gallon I am done with them. That is just crazy. Omni doesn't cover very good so that is out also. I am looking for a dark blue metallic, if that matters, base coat, clear coat. There must be someone on the web that sells good automotive paint at a reasonable price.

2. With the cost of refining and the manufacturing automotive paints has gotten very expensive and metallic s just add to the cost.

Honestly 400 bucks in today's world ain't out of line. HRP

Sprout likes this.
  3. Here in Montana the cost of paint supplies has just about doubled in the past 4 years.

Any HAMBers had experience with the stuff Eastwood sells, who makes it?

4. I haven't priced it lately but I have always had good fortune with DuPont paint and NAPA has always cut me a deal (and I am nobody).

5. Haven't bought any yet, but from what I've heard Kirker is a good low-cost paint. They've got a good selection of colors including metallics, pearls and candies. If you buy Eastwood's brand of paint, it's repackaged Kirker.

senginc likes this.
  6. Davis35

Davis35
    from va

I just had my 35 Ford sedan painted and I'm very pleased with the results. Painted it with Limco Supreme Plus and used Sherwin Williams CC950 clear. It wasn't a metallic color, 40 Ford Cloud Mist Grey, but my painter who uses PPG a lot said it covered really well and laid down nicely. It was $146 a gallon at my local BASF dealer. We also tried a sample of RM before we painted the car......very small differences at over twice the cost and Glasurit was too expensive to even try.

7. mopar57

mopar57

I have been using Limco BC/CC with good results.

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

9. I've used Restoration shop from TGP Global , metallic and non-metallics with good results.
    Single stage urethane mostly. Your results may vary. (typed too slow ^^^^)

10. papadaddio

papadaddio
    from Minnesota

X2 on the Kirker,good paint for the price

11. I've had good luck with these guys.... http://www.thecoatingstore.com/Home_Page.html

One thing nice is they sell quarts too; not all the online vendors do (or limit this to certain colors only). Haven't painted a car, but I've used their paint on several motorcycles and been very pleased.

12. 42merc

42merc

Check with Smart Shoppers on line. They are in Louisville , Ky.
    They handle Kirker & other brands, good prices.
    I've used Kirker & was very happy.

senginc likes this.
  13. I have used kirker a couple of times and I'm happy with the product. HRP

14. What you have to realize is many of your private label paint lines are supplied and relabeled from a major mfg. And all the major mfg have " value " lines. Limpco is BASF, Omni is ppg, and Nason is Axalta aka DuPont.

15. If you think $400.00 per gallon is bad,,,price some red...Oh yeah,I always used Nason which is Dupont..

Sprout likes this.
  16. BJR

BJR

I sent for a color chart from TCP Global, and spent $7.49. I got a printed piece of paper with colors on it, not a real color chart! I called them and before I could complain the guy said not to go by it as some of the colors are not represented very well. WTF? How do you pick a color from a poorly printed piece of paper color chart?

17. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've never used Eastwood paint, but here is a video I ran into that might give you a quality comparison between PPG and Eastwood. Go to about the 8:00 mark.

18. Summit is repackaged Kirker and I like it. Omni isn't bad, tint your sealer close and you'll be fine with left overs.

Montana1 likes this.
  19. Red IS expensive and so is metallic Gold..my pal Dave just bought some for his confused 32/34 pickup and spent close to 900 bones! HRP

20. I'd take that video with a large grain of salt; this guy is an opinionated asshole. He closed the 'comment' board on his website after being called out on bogus info, then posted a 10-minute rant about how smart he was...

Just Gary likes this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

BJR, go on eBay and look for auto paints, TCP Global has most colors listed and you can enlarge the samples big enough to see what it really looks like (as a sample anyways). They have a limited selection but have most of the hot roddy colors. I've been looking at their stuff for a while but I'm not quite ready to paint my pickup yet though. I've read mostly good things about the TCP stuff along with a few naysayers. I wouldn't paint an AMBR contender with it but it should be ok for most of us.

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Look for someone in your area that sells Nason paint. I painted my sedan delivery with it about 4 years ago and it looks great so far. Way cheaper than the name brand.

23. I wonder why cheap paint is cheap?

There is more to it than simply 'paying for a name' I'm sure.

24. BJR

BJR

I wonder why a gallon of paint can cost over $400? + the clear. I believe we are being scammed into thinking this is what it costs for a quality product. I have painted cars since 1965 so I am no newcomer to painting cars or buying paint. The big name paint suppliers are taking advantage of all of us. Time to find suppliers that sell a quality product at a reasonable price. End of rant. Brian

ABONES likes this.
  25. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I've used Kirker on 30+ hot rods , love it. Good price too!

senginc likes this.
  26. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Check out Southern Poly--S P I.. good stuff

chargin03 likes this.
  27. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The cost of paints skyrocketed after the price of oil went up to $100 a barrel. You notice that the fricken prices didn't come down after the oil dropped to $50 a barrel. I used Dupont for many years but now that they sold out the paint division to Axalta, it seems to have gone to the crapper. Imron is not what it used to be anymore and the stuff they call Imron now is crap. Pittsburg Plate Glass paint and Sherwin-Williams mostly have acrylic urethane now. It still works good though. I miss my Polyurethane.

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

One thing I've learned is never ever go by color charts, period. They just give you a general idea of the color but it's never a exact match.

29. indyjps

indyjps

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271799138890?nav=SEARCH
    this guy has been selling for years, mostly PPG Delton 200 DBC base and omni mixed to factory colors.
    Use this base or check his other colors, use SPI clear and I think you'll get a nice paint job with quality materials.

I haven't tried tcpglobal but I want to

30. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

S.P.I. for everything but color.
    S.P.I. has limited colors though.
    Diamont for the color. Prospray is also a really good Basecoat.
    Been dong this for 38 years and the above is you very best Bang for your Buck.

Happy Spraying,
    VR&C.