Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question about front suspension on this A coupe???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Mar 10, 2015.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Does anyone know who owns this A coupe, or details about the extra low front end for an A coupe sitting on an A frame. Pic's of chassis would be a bonus.
    image.jpg

busyhornet, volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  2. Big diameter front tyres are a bit of an illusion maker. Can't comment on the suspension setup.

3. A Boner

A Boner

Don't think the frame has a Z near the front crossmember.....can't see one on this pic.
    image.jpg

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know the car but agree 100% with X38. Those big (way taller than most traditional A coupes would run) front tires Throw things out of balance. Good looking car but running the same size tires front and rear on a Fenderless hot rod so you can rotate the tires doesn't spin my wheels.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well from what I can see it looks like a dropped front axle in front of the grill which leads me to believe it has the spring mounted off the bones and not the axle which would put it lower quite quick. The tall tires bring it back up. Not my car but that's my guess

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Z. The spring is behind the axle, and the crossmember is flat.

Tim likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

In the second photo the tires look to be different sizes, though from pic 1 to pic 2 the tire to head light relation seems the same. I bet it's a funny angle making the tires look tall in the first photo

8. A Boner

A Boner

I wonder if the front crossmember is in the stock location? With the spring off the split wishbones (Rolling Bones style), that would increase the wheelbase slightly. It almost looks like the wheelbase could be a couple inches longer.

The real scoop would be nice.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with Tim. Different tires in the photos It might be a cartoonish optical illusion No Rolling Bones style suspension though, just camera angles and maybe a lens that throw things off more than a little bit. Kind of like that gal you saw on FB in your girl cousin's photo album of her friends. One photo is ah ok and then from another angle oh wow.

10. Maybe a really wide angle lens was used for that first photo?

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tires are different sizes! (look like 7.00 X 16 in rear, fronts look like 6.oo X 15")
    Look at the wheel centers, between rim and cap. Rear wheels are larger...

12. Tires are for sure different front to rear and it looks like the grill/radiator have been moved forward to facilitate lowering the front.

13. A Boner

A Boner

It seems like it almost has to be a Rolling Bones type set up, to get the front so low.

Does anyone know who owns this coupe, or who built it? Would like to know measurements for front crossmember, hood length, and a picture of the spring perch location would be nice.

14. We don't have any real pics to let us know how the front end is set up, it could just have an axle that is mega dropped. By the angles of the pic it could just be an illusion. It would be nice if someone had a different pic of the car one that gave us some idea of how it is actually set up, maybe its a Mac Fitzgerald type of a setup. :D

15. Where did you come across the photo? HRP

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That's Randy's coupe. He goes by "Cruzr" on here and doesn't post much anymore. Spring behind front axle with and Okie Adams axle. Not sure how much it's dropped.

Malcolm

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Here's a later shot of it after he made some changes.
    5.50/16 front, 7.50/16 rear tires:

[​IMG]

saltracer219, volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

21. Hmmmmmn looks like it has a Cruzr style suspension.

Don't know if I mentioned it but it is one sweet coupe.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. ^^^^^ x2 on that.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks Malcolm, that is sure a slick coupe! The only missing info is the hood length, wheelbase and crossmember location. I would think the crossmember is in stock location, or forward, as an A engine compartment is too small to fit a sbc if the crossmember was moved back behind the axle.

This set up is sure a good alternative to avoid all the surgery of doing a deuce frame!

HRP.....Where is pic from? I right click daily.....don't remember!

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. One of the nicest coupes around,I thought I had seen it in the past,thanks for posting the information and additional photos Malcolm. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. missysdad1

missysdad1

IMHO stretching the wheelbase the only way to get add'l engine room in a Model A (other than moving the firewall back, but that's got it's own set of unintended consequences) without ruining the proportions. Moving the radiator forward without taking the axle with it just makes the whole mess look awkward. Nice coupe!

26. A Boner

A Boner

Sent a PM to cruzr.....hope he answers on here!

27. ^^^^Agreed, never a good idea to throw too much weight on the front axle anyway.

28. cruzr

cruzr

Wheel base is stock,5:50 x16 front tires 750x16 rear Oakie Adams axle , spring behind . Still running stock gas tank.frame is Z'd in rear . Spring behind axle . Hood is stock length trimmed to match belt line secured by aircraft canopy latches.early 283 with power pack heads 3x2 Strombergs

verde742 likes this.
  29. cruzr

cruzr

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Cruzr,
    OMG not an SBC !!!!! :D :D

Don't know that you'll see this but if you do I just wanted to say you done good man. :cool:

volvobrynk and cruzr like this.