Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Started making the blower crank hub last night, another evening on the lathe, I chose to use a bit of 4" OD EN40 steel bar, tough to turn but ideal for the job.

[​IMG]

After a few hours I had this, Its a little long at the moment as I need to hold it to broach the double keyway, will trim to length once thats done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled the 6 bolt pcd into the pulleys

[​IMG]

I got the various parts back from vapor blasting so nice and clean now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stripped the blower down to get it all clean and fit new bearings and do the required modifications, during stripping everything was centre dotted to aid in reassembly to keep everything in sync.

[​IMG]

Undoing the gear bolts was a task as this blower has never been apart before, a bit of softwood jammed in the rotors stops any damage.

[​IMG]

As the gears are helical they have to be pulled off together, a bit of scrap aluminium and some bolts were used as a simple puller.

[​IMG]

Again the gears were centre dotted to aid reassembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the empty case ready for vapour blasting.

[​IMG]

These holes in the case both ends have to be tapped 3/8"NPT and filled with pipe plugs to stop oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy Tee and volvobrynk like this.
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Steve,
    Haven't checked in here in a very long time, but I see the truck is coming along beautifully! Looks like your usual top notch work!

3. cooljunk

cooljunk

What is vapor blasting?

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Started making the blower snout shaft last night, used the EN40 offcut from the crank hub, drilled the mounting holes, next I need to make the drive shaft which will be welded and pinned to the hub you see here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy Tee likes this.
  5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Vall great to see you back, thanks for commenting.

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its a blasting process that involves bead and water, it leaves a nice even smooth finish as the media peens the surface and closes the tiny holes you get in aluminium, basically.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Heres a better explanation from the guy that does it for me
    This process uses water and an abrasive medium blasted at the component. The water buffers and lubricates the particles on impact allowing very fine finishes to be produced without damage to the component.

The vapour blasting process is suitable for aluminium, Bronze, Magnesium, Titanium, Brass, and Copper. It will gently clean the surface leaving it like the day it was cast or machined. This process does not damage the surface unlike media blasting.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Came to a full stop on the snout shaft as run out of 1" bar so turned my attention to sorting the intake out, I'm gonna have to use the Fenton 3 x 2 as can't find an aluminium intake to mill out, Only one person making one and its big money, there is one guy making blower intakes for the Y block but at $1000 he can keep them !!!
    The problem I have is the carb throats on the Fenton are too far apart for the bottom outlet of a 4/71, a 6/71 would of been spot on but way to big for the look I want. Anyways decided to stick with what I have, shame really as the Fenton seems to be fairly rare.
    My cunning plan is to fabricate a curved ended box to act as a plenum which simply bolts to the existing intake and the blower bolts straight to this.

First job was to make a 3/8" plate for the base and transfer all the various holes, the original carb mounting holes will be drilled out to 3/8" as because of the top having the normal 5 degree inclination the holes will be slightly tilted once I flycut the top surface true to the crank centreline, the pics hopefully will explain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I have made a mockup in cardboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting to the rear 2 and the front 1 mounting bolt will be tricky but doable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy Tee and AHotRod like this.
  9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Geez langy I just checked your build and now a blower this thing just keeps getting better the v-belt drive is awesome nice machine work there man I'd like to make a suggestion on your intake when you build your box just make the box with a angle on it so you wouldn't have to mill that sweet intake I have made many blower mainfolds over the years and that is what I finally ended up doin it makes everything fit way better by the way when you decide to start making blower drives I would take one cause that is a nice piece keep up the good work

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.Steve`s at it again.Making more shiny bits and fancy gee gaws for our entertainment.Looking great as usual Steve.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. patman

patman

Are those mount points wide enough apart and strong enough to resist the torque of the belt? I don't know nuthin', but that looks narrow to me.

A suggestion on the bolt access, maybe sink a tube in there so you get a straight shot from above? (Sort of like a hemi valve cover sparkplug tube)

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks bud, yeah I thought of making the plenum with the angle built in but it needs fly cutting anyway as the carb surfaces are not perfect, also the mounting holes are all a tiny bit out of bonk !!!

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Leo, I really enjoy making one off stuff, I like the challenge.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah I had that thought in mind Patman, my solution was to weld some pillars at some point further outwards on the intake and bolt to the main blower plate, I think that will sort out any rotational forces.
    The tubes was an idea I had in my head or drilling access holes and filling with pipe plugs, we will see what's easiest.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Got the blower case back from the blasters so set about doing some modifications to it, First the support bar in the intake side was removed, its not needed now its not hanging on its side anymore, once out the edges were milled to clean it all up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a pic of a stock scavenge pump setup incase you have not seen one.

[​IMG]

My small mill doesnt have enough throw to flycut the intake angle out so popped into my mate Brians shop and used his. While I was there the intake throats were bored out from 1.250" to 1.500", the bottom plate of the plenum was bolted in place and both bored together to keep the throats aligned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Correcting the intake angle meant losing the rear stud hole, we spotted it through first and retapped, Will weld a bung in here at some point.
    The dividers in the throats will be ground to a knife edge so as not to disturb the flow.

[​IMG]

The bracket bosses cast into the intake no longer serve a purpose so cut them off and blended them smooth, this uncoved a hole so it got welded shut,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the plenum sides are tacked in place, the tricky to get at bolts are now much easier to get at as they go through columns.
    Couldn't do any finish welding as my 200amp isn't gonna be big enough as the aluminium is 1/2" thick, gonna need a fair bit of preheat on it.

[​IMG]

Jimmy Tee likes this.
  16. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Hi Steve. Who does vapour blasting in or around West London? Got a mate that needs some parts blasted. Superb build thread as usual bud.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Eliot at Eltec 07778 439028, cheers for the positives
    Tell him I sent you and it might be cheaper

Cheers steve

COUPES likes this.
  18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

More progress, I tacked the plenum together ready for final welding but due to it being 1/2" plate my 200amp machine was not gonna do the job without a lot of preheat so it was off to see Mr Miller Dynasty [​IMG] Got it all welded together late in the evening eventually, then had to drink numerous cups of tea while it cooled down [​IMG] Thanks Gary [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the mounting lugs on the intake had been damaged at some point so this was built up with weld and reshaped.

[​IMG]

The bottom plate thats bolts to the inlet bowed by about 20 thou over the length so it got a small fly cut on the mill. If you have never seen flycutting i've added a short video below.

[​IMG]

I mocked it up to have a look and discovered the front plate is a little shy in 2 corners so will have to make up a couple of bits and welded them in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the snout drive shaft, its 1.250" steel bar turned done to be welded in to the hub at the blower end, the other end I have to broach a keyway into, made up the pulley flange. the shaft has been left long at the moment so I have something to hold on, I will shorten once its all mocked up on the motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was a little concerned about the mounting bolts on the intake not being very far apart, probably be fine but just to be sure I added a pair of braces, they have to be welded to the intake yet, they bolt to the 1/2" blower plate with 2 x 1/4" bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is mocked up in place ready to measure for the snout length.

[​IMG]

Tim_with_a_T, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

We played around with the iphone video a bit last night and were surprised at the results we got !!!

We had the ceramic glowing nicely !

Jimmy Tee likes this.
  20. Very impressive to say the least Steve.

langy likes this.
  21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Dang Langy.......This is some fun stuff to follow along with. Do you ever sleep?

langy likes this.
  22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

As always great fab skills! What carbs will be feeding the blower? Are two 2 barrels going to keep up, without some mods?

langy likes this.
  23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

And he squeezes all this great work in between dance lessons ! :D

Looking good, Steve.

Don

langy likes this.
  24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Mikey

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Only midnight till 7am :D

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Vall I have a pair of Edelbrock 94's that i intend to modify for more flow.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha, Cheers Don, I'm off to see how much progress you have made :cool:

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Been busy as usual today but not that much to show for it, I usually mount my coils behind the dash but thought I would have a change this time, I got some of these OBT coil covers and thought the cast look would go well with the other parts under the hood, was a bit disappointed with the design really, nice concealed mounting points but then they go and put a grub screw right in the front, could of easily been put in the side where you wouldn't see it [​IMG]
    I'm running a MSD blaster coil and a MSD 6A ignition box behind the dash out of sight. Will paint the top of the coil black later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was going to make a carb plate for the 2 x Edelbrock 94's but found one of my suppliers made a nice carb plate already and not expensive, check out Dashmans hotrod parts http://dashman.net/parts.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the headlights from Willys Reproduction Parts arrived so it now has a face [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. I want to be a Langy when I grow up!

IowaMercMan, FlyFisher and langy like this.
  30. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Steve, awesome work as usual, is your torch water cooled?

langy likes this.