Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Computer Drawn Hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Mar 5, 2015.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

FYI- The Hotrod Pickup Assembly uses 345 individually modeled parts with 40 sub-assemblies.

Rear Chassis quarter View.jpg Rear Chassis View.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    patmanta likes this.
  2. billb65714

billb65714

Hey RapRap,, as a Industrial Machine Tech/Designer that uses Autocad Inventor for the design of payout and take up reels I do know how long and arduous such a task is. Kudos to you. Have you been over to Grabcad.com , they have some VERY interesting things there and you can download all kinds of different "products" , just a thought.

Good luck,

Bill

3. I worked for a large civil/structural engineering company and attending the University of Washington back in 1991 and our CAD Rat Lab modeled an active suspension system for a Rock Crawler.

The best part was after a few hundred team hours the prof granted us access to an Architecture Design Lab that had 15-20 Projectors laid out in grid on the walls of a 20'x20' room. The projectors arrayed any scaled design in 3D, we could walk around our design, and look at everything in detail, bolts, nuts, heim joints, axle shafts, wheels, tires. We found several flaws in the design, all related to clearances, shaft bind and stress loads when the suspension was cycled.

I also found a couple components where I indicated a full weld which after working out the assembly sequence, it would have had to been assembled loose, welded, and then finish mounted... its was one of many "duh" moments for an engineering student who "thought he had his shit worked out"

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    pitman likes this.
  4. pitman

pitman

Hear, hear, Verbal! ;)
    Or, as I've heard Brits say, "I felt quite the fool!"

5. The Big M

The Big M

Well done, raprap! I could see this rendered up and featured on the SolidWorks website. :)

It would require modeling up a flattie, different wheel choices, etc., but I believe that could be achieved with a series of configurations driven by an Excel file (i.e. a flathead subassembly with different intake options). You could even write equations to specify which configurations get paired together. There is also an design automation add-in called DriveWorks that might be able to do the same thing.

6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

From a Dumbass that can't draw a crooked line I say WOW Good Job!

7. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Big M,
    I'm sure if I sat down and started a Library of components, it could be placed in a program that someone could pick and place parts to make a hotrod. Unfortunately, a flathead wont fit where a big block was. There are a lot of varibles in widths, lengths, etc. compatabilities. I guess one could "Mock up" a car but it would never be exact.

Verbal Kint,
    The assemblies that I create always look perfect but no engineering of bolt holes, dreft, tolerances have been done. These are basically pre-engineered models. To fully engineer something like this would take, like you said, a team of engineers many, many days of work.

8. kenmo

kenmo

Wow...very nice....

9. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

awesome man. I do CAD for a living.. I recently 3d scanned/rendered a project. Fun using technology for hot rod building.

10. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Very cool. Huge respect for the skill and patience it must have taken to create this. It would be a great candidate for 3D printing!
    In 2010 or so, I built a '30 coupe in 3Ds Max for the PC game Grand Theft Auto 4. I re-built it with a flathead and more of a "Pendine Sands" look in 2013-14. My biggest regret now, is that the resulting model is not suitable for 3D printing without a colossal amount of re-working, so it's just sitting on my hard drive unused. I'd love to do more of these, but the amount of time and work involved is considerable, so I'd need a good way to monetize it afterwards. Video game models like this are a bit like the "false front" buildings on film sets.
    Looks like I need to learn Solidworks so the next thing I build could be made 'real' with less trouble!
    [​IMG]

patmanta likes this.
  11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I work in CAD for a living too,
    to build all these 3d models from scratch sounds far too labor intensive for me,
    I'd rather spend that time and effort building the real thing.

But, if I was rich I would invest in state of the art high resolution 3d scanner equipment
    and go around scanning all the rare hot rod parts I could find
    and build a virtual museum

12. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446909933.655344.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446909949.560839.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446909972.454403.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446910000.217923.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446910036.155900.jpg

Scans and models. I use an artec scanner. Rhino to model. Keyshot to render.

SR100 likes this.
  13. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

14. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Wow, I'm impressed big time! Very Nice.

15. sawzall

sawzall

rap rap..

bringing your post back to the top..
    I use 3d scanning and cnc for automotive woodwork..
    I stumbled on your post and noticed this reply..

[QUOTE="raprap, post: 10879612, member: 94312" I wish I had the smarts to make a website were you could virtually "Build" your own hotrod with a library of parts. That would be really cool. It's way beyond my pay level and talent.[/QUOTE]

I notice that your a solidworks guy.. (I use and teach Autodesk software) perhaps solidworks has something similar to autodesk configurator

irregardless, you could certainly sell your models on turbosquid, or the like..