Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chrome or powder coat - paint ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a dilemma of sorts. :)
    In planning for the finishing stages of my RPU project I have had a couple of different directions in mind.
    One involves chroming my front and rear wishbones (the rears are visible along the outside of the frame rails) along with things like front shock - headlight mounts rad support rods and some other small parts.
    The chrome would look nice if I can find someone here in Alberta that can do a decent job of it.

The other option involves just having those same parts powder coated in a bright silver color.
    Not as a replacement for chrome, just as an alternative.

Both ways would give a nice contrast to the dark blue the car is going to be painted.

Thoughts ? I have seen both and like both but am leaning towards the chrome.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. Chrome! I have heard that Fairmont Electroplating in Edmonton and Alberta Plating in Calgary are both pretty good.

3. Larry,you know as well as anyone the old adage of "Chrome won't get you home" but there is no denying that chrome is hard to beat when it come to adding a little sparkle to the old hot rod.

But man does it cost to chrome plate nowadays.

I think if the cost is prohibitive the powder coating would look good,let your wallet be the judge! :) HRP

Hnstray likes this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don't use that mickey mouse powder coating chrome. Either have them wishbones chrome plated or paint them a contrasting color such as light blue and highlight it with chrome bolts and nuts.

squirrel likes this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any idea on their pricing ?

Yes, I know :) Chrome looks nice :)

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No, that wouldn't happen, it would be an actual silver color. Not that chrome replacement stuff. Mickey Mouse wouldn't even use that stuff :D

7. Nope sorry I haven't been brave enough to find out what it's going to cost to get the stuff I need done.:oops:

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D C'mon Ian, no guts no glory :D:D

9. LOL it's not the guts I am worried about it's the $$$$:D

10. Chrome is neat stuff and I like it real well, my pockets are seldom that deep.

if you do not have a good quality chrome in mind you are just throwing good money after bad. I have seen chrome ceramic coat that looks really good and may be an option to explore.

11. This stuff is rapidly getting both better looking and cheaper by the day.

image.jpg

12. 31Vicki,what is that?

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not really feasible to vinyl wrap many hot rod parts :D:D

14. I thought it was aluminum foil. :D HRP

15. deto

deto

wow... theres a vinyl wrap place here in town. That might not be a bad temporary solution for the bumpers on my 49....

16. Not feasible to chrome them either, B I G money.

It just chaps my ass that when shopping for parts, a chrome option is often available for just a very small up charge. Take that same part to the chrome shop and it's at least 5 times what the part cost to chrome it.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's E="31Vicky with a hemi, post: 10885583, member: 67302"]Not feasible to chrome them either, B I G money.

It just chaps my ass that when shopping for parts, a chrome option is often available for just a very small up charge. Take that same part to the chrome shop and it's at least 5 times what the part cost to chrome it.[/QUOTE]
    Thats probably because they chrome parts by the hundreds when they make them.

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Thats probably because they chrome parts by the hundreds when they make them.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that the chrome on the chrome upcharge, isn't the best quality. :rolleyes:

19. A Boner

A Boner

Should have made some of the parts out of stainless steel!

20. Thats probably because they chrome parts by the hundreds when they make them.[/QUOTE]

Ok so take 300 parts there and its no cheaper.

Buy the non chrome bumper for 99.00, make a couple modifications then try to get it chromed for $40.00
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  21. Edmonton electroplating used to do really nice work for a reasonable price, I haven't heard anything about them for a couple years though, I'm assuming they are still in business?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Just had my headers and intake manifold refinished with chrome ceramic coat, really came out real nice, less than $400. I wouldn't hesitate to use on front end parts.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any close up pictures ? my experience with that coating is that it is nice but not as shiny as chrome.
    And it is typically thinner than most other powder coatings.

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used what the coating shop called stainless exhaust coating on Buick drums with good results. Didn't look like polished but had a good shiny finish that stayed nice.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They are just another name for Fairmont plating. Going to check them out as they are local.

26. Well there ya go! I didn't realize they were the same! A friend had some little stuff done a few years ago and it looked really good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Offshore chroming?

28. The bumpers and headlight bezels on my friend car have been "painted" with a process that looks so close to chrome people can't tell the difference. As astute of fact he just won best of show last week at an all ford show in Florida.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425993285.010478.jpg

29. I accidentally hit reply. He had them done in Kansas. The cost was about 25% the cost for chrome.