Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Some Dummy Hooked up Jumper Cables Backwards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 8, 2015.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Now it's not charging. Motorcraft alternator has this rectifier/diode thing on the back. Is that all that needs replacing? It was only hooked up wrong for one quick, enlightening sparky second.

ttttnhjy.jpg

2. Maybe,maybe not,take the alternator to one of the auto parts houses and get them to check it out. HRP

3. So who was the dummy??
    Have it tested but I'd think that should be it.

Reminds me how I got my DD OT Mercedes. Pervious owner boosted backwards. I think I ended up replacing or repairing five computers

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Makes you feel smart don't it? Yup, I have done it too. Don't take but a second to see your mistake. I ruined the alternator.

5. I hooked my cables backwards once, before you could blink, 9 amplifiers started smoking.

6. That is actually part of the regulator as I recall. there may still be a diode plate inside but if that blew first then maybe that is all that it needs. it seldom burns the stator or the armature.

7. Model T1

Model T1

I'd never do anything that silly!:rolleyes:o_O
    After all red means ground don't it?

volvobrynk and Texas Webb like this.
  8. On a ford flathead.:D

Model T1 likes this.
  9. If you love in Mississippi where there is lots of red clay. ;)

10. Model T1

Model T1

I have loved in Mississippi. Just don't tell my wife. She's still wondering how I got red clay on my underwear!
    Crossing those jumpers can be a shocking experience.

volvobrynk and 56don like this.
  11. Yep damned auto correct, but you and me both. ;)

Once I blew up a 6V jumping with a 12V and crossing the cables. The biggest piece of that battery I found was the sticker that was about 200 yards away. But the upside was that it was an excuse to swap motors in a '54 Effie, my logic being that I had a good 12V battery and an *oddball swap motor and tranny that was 12V and had a good alternator. :eek: the first of many swaps for that truck culminating in a hot 390.

*AMC gremlin 6 and 3 speed.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Not sure if I hooked it up wrong or not but once I had another old Buick with the long 6V battery. It sat most of the winter in Illinois. Wanted to sell it so I hooked the battery cables up and that sucker also blew up. Damned those can be loud. Pieces and acid everywhere. It's a wonder I'm still alive with all my parts.
    Someone once said if ya don't make mistakes you aren't doing anything.
    I sure musta done a lot with cars.

13. Well I should not mention this but the only reason I know anything at all about cars or anything else is that I have screwed a lot of stuff up. I don't have many pieces missing but I sure have a bunch of parts that could use a serious restoring. ;)

40fordtudor likes this.
  14. Model T1

Model T1

So far all I got were new ball joints. Or hips!
    But somewhere along the line I think someone hooked up my jumpers backward. I see lots of sparks now and then!

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

16. LOL I have had sparks fly more then once, and seen everything from stars to ducks at one time or another. But the upside is that I still have all my fingers, some of them I can't get a ring on but I have them and they all seem to function.

I am steady wearing out, but like an old Ford I will just keep limping along.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you guys are trying to make me feel better, it's working. :) What made it even worse was doing it in front of someone who will likely bring it up at every opportunity.

The alternator is a Motorcraft 2G in case anyone is familiar with them.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

On some of the British shit it does

19. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Or in the Queens English "Positive Earth". Don't ask, been there without crossing the pond.........
    One thing I've noticed after a lifetime of attendance at the school of hard knocks - the harder, noisier, and more painful the results of the lesson the longer I have remembered it. As long as I survive to continue attending, life will remain good.

20. belair

belair

I am betting it just blew out the diode. I hope so. Maybe you can say you're color blind. Or just human.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Human now that's a bit of a stretch by any standard. :D

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

23. volvobrynk and belair like this.
  24. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I'm sure glad that I haven't ever done anything dumb. Totally stupid, yes, dumb no.

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  25. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I have come to realize that no matter how hard I try, I can't go faster than the speed of light. That's what we deal with when we hook things up backwards. Enlightening.................or just plain lightning.

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Anybody who knows anything about automotive electricity learned in an atmosphere thick with acrid smoke and sparks...

belair likes this.
  27. stimpy

stimpy

what about melted jumper cables ??? ( do not try to jump start a Cat c-15 ( 927 cid ) with a set of autozone cables , wasn't me but a co worker looked like someone turned on a headlight when they melted !)

28. Hankster32

Hankster32

I blew up a 150 lb. battery in the trunk of a ex race car trying to start a big John Deer tractor.
    It dumped 5 gal. of battery acid in the trunk. Still drove it home 75 miles.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How long did it take you to drive 75 miles in a big John Deere tractor ? :D:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Model T1

Model T1

Dad said if you get all your ducks in a row things will be okay.
    So why do you keep holding that middle one up and looking at us?