Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Chevy Coupe Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37hotrod, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Hey gang,

My bro-in-law sent me some crappy pics of a '37 Chevy coupe that is for sale. Don't have much info on it, but in the pics it has 6 lug wheels front and rear. I think it should have 5 lugs, so I assume this means frame swap. My question to the frame swap gurus is : what frame did they use? It isn't a 4x4 frame, as there are no big hubs up front. What other common frame swap has 6 lug wheels. Is this a good idea or not? Feel free to chime in. No, I don't have any pics that will be helpful.

2. chevy cars used 6 lug wheels up 'till 1949...sounds like original stuff to me.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Ditto Rocky.........I had a 48 years ago with 6 lug stuff.

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds stock to me--one of my favorite body styles

5. Thanks for the replies. I've always been a Mopar guy, so I still have lots to learn about those old stovebolts. My '35 Chevy has Ford bits front and rear, so it wasn't any help as a reference!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers, 48 and earlier Chevrolet cars had six lug wheels back through at least 28 or so and probably earlier.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Had a 36 sedan with 5 lugs but my 38 was born with 6 same as 37

8. The Standard versions of 30s Chevy's were five lug, while the Masters were six lug. I'm not sure what year they stopped doing both, but if you go check it out, get some pics, 37 was always my favourite year. I tried to buy a 37 Master Delux when I was 16, and had no money, but the guy wanted to keep it, and I watched it sit in a field for next ten years rotting. Probably ended up at the dump.

9. elba

elba

came that way

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

One thing to look at would be the front suspension. The knees on a Master Deluxe are almost always toast, which calls for another complete assembly from somewhere. We here consider the I beam stocker a plus, and drop or raise them depending on what we like ...
    '33-'36 for the weird 4 1/4" 5 lug pattern on Standards.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  11. indyjps

indyjps

Got any pics, I keep eyeing a 37 chevy coupe, the owner said he's willing to sell but we haven't discussed price. The car is real rough not sure I wanna take on that much panel replacement.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  12. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. I agree with 302GMC. If it is a Standard and has an original I beam, don't be in a hurry to swap it out. However, knee actions on the Masters can be a different story, unless you are looking for a correct and accurate restoration.

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

34-36 standard is five bolt 5x108/5x4.25 Volvo pattern.
    All others are 6x5.5.

A pick up should always be 6 lug.

Get them pics up.
    1937 coupe ain't bad, go for it.

15. '36 standards have a "top hat" frame and the masters have a "c" channel.... I'm thinking the same holds true for the '37's

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 37 @ byron high.jpg ...all 37 car frames are tophat design, they make nice drivers.

17. I have a front end, diff, and 3 six lug wheels off a 37 Chev truck.
    No on wants the stuff, and I don't know what to do with it.
    The link XFarmboy posted makes me lust after a 37 Coupe.
    Chevy sure got em right that year, they're just so right.
    I wonder how hard it'd be to fit the one your brother in law showed you, in a box, and post it down :D
    One piece at a time, ;)

37hotrod likes this.
  18. I know the 49-54 Chevrolet 5 lug car hubs backing plates and drums will fit the 6 lug Chevrolet truck axle.
    I think they fit the car axle knee/action spindles.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. If I do get it, it won't stay a stocker. There isn't a straight panel left on the poor thing, but it isn't rusty. My plan is a little bit of this... image.jpg

20. And a little bit of this..... image.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. I can send you the extra parts that I take off of it! :)

22. ^^^ Then I'd have to buy one to put the bits on, he he.:D
    If I have the cash spare for one, I'll just pop up and play with your one.
    I'll be your crew chief.:)
    Haven't been to a track, since 07 :eek:

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

How about some of this.
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  24. I like it, but not a big fan of 38s.
    The 38 that 37Hotrod posted above is cool too, but the 38 grill isn't as cool as the 37, imho.

25. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

With a dose of this
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I like the 37 grill better myself but since I've had this 38 for 40 plus years I guess I'll keep it a while longer.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Well I like it even more, now I know it belongs to a famous Hamber ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. I know what I'm aiming for, but it will probably end up,looking more like this...not that it's a bad thing at all. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. Let me clarify...not bagging on the black car AT ALL. I seriously dig this car, and spent mucho time staring at it at the show. This car scares small children and old people just sitting there. I just have visions of the full meal deal gasser, shiny paint with big bass boat flake in the paint, dressed up like a show car.

30. How many cars work in multiple guises?
    When you think about it, 37s look great as Gassers, they make bitchin tail draggin Customs, and eye pleasing Hot Rods.
    Can't say that about a 49 Merc.