Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chevy Custom Grill

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Andreas Stremitzer, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Andreas Stremitzer

Andreas Stremitzer

Hi,
    I’m actually working to bring Richard Zadroga's custom car which was made in the 1950’s back to its original beauty.
    Unfortunately the original grill is gone and I'm trying to rebuilt it.
    Until now I figured out that it was made out of parts from the 57 Corvette grill while using 23 teeth and they look like all the same size and pointing straight ahead.
    As I'm not familiar with the Corvette grill, does anyone know which teeth I should use (only 23 center teeth, or 1 center tooth and 22 teeth which are mounted normally left and right from the center tooth)?

Thanks for your help

Andy

Attached Files:

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  2. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

good buy, was hoping to stay local, gl with it

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

You'd need one center tooth and 22 "next to center" teeth. The bar curves and a middle tooth wont face straight ahead when mounted in the other positions.
    Looking really close at the photo you posted I'd say there are actually all the stock sizes of teeth on there, but with 10 extra "middle" teeth added between them. You can see how much smaller the end tooth is compared to some of the others.
    And I'm pretty sure I was wrong on your other thread when I suggested the horizontal bar was lengthened.
    It looks to me like you just need a complete grille and 10 extra teeth.
    It has been 12 years since I ordered mine so I can't remember if there are three or four different size teeth.
    Shop it around - I bought my grille from a Corvette resto place that had the best price and sold the teeth separately as well.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress on such a cool car!

4. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Also, I recall you asking about the flat white lenses in the 59 caddy taillights being used as parking lights.
    If you haven't yet gotten the answer, those lenses are stock to the assembly. They are in there behind the red bullets. Originals shouldn't be too hard to find, otherwise I'm pretty sure repops are available.
    Good luck with the resto, it's a great old custom.

5. Andreas Stremitzer

Andreas Stremitzer

Hello Dave,
    thanks for your reply. As I'm trying to find out as much as possible about this car I also think that originally a 13 teeth grill was used with 10 extra middle teeth.
    I found a picture here at one threat with a similar grill, but only 17 teeth used. I have tried to contact the owner and I will keep you updated.

@CHOPMERC Thanks for your help on the 59 caddy tail lights which I will use as parking an signal lights. Thanks to Rik I found out that this lenses are called "tail light diffuser" and as you mentioned they are mounted behind the red bullets.

It's fantastic how things come together with the help of this Forum!
    Many thanks to all of you and I will keep you updated on this project.

Andy

Attached Files:

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock 57 grill has 13 teeth and put one in each space on each side and you add ten and have 23.
    Some interesting info here http://www.grilleteethusa.com/

7. Andreas Stremitzer

Andreas Stremitzer

Thanks Mr48chev,

that's an interesting story about the manufacturing process! If have to get in contact with Corvette Central's to see if they also sell single teeth.
    regards Andy

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

Did some measuring today. The two end teeth are shortest, about 6.25 inches. The next two teeth are about 6.5 inches. The next two are around 6.75 inches. The rest, including the center tooth, appear to be all the same length, about 7 inches.
    Measures are all approximate because it's hard to get to mine with the tape measure. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425836215.820139.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425836233.088174.jpg

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

I believe I bought mine from Corvette Central. They had the best price at the time and they did sell individual teeth.