Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Hey Joe, my name is Jeremy, most just call me Jer, when I signed up for the HAMB I used my default sign in name that is a carry over from a nick name "Denns" that me & a buddy came up with (can't recall the meaning) when I was in elementary school & year I graduated from Grade 8 (1989) , didn't realize how prevalent the sign in name was here & now I can't change it...so I answer to Dennis, Jer, Jeremy ;-)
    Onto the axle's etc. on Snewp's, The front axle/suspension & crossmember (that was welded on top of frame rails to lower the car), rear axle & suspension, torque tube (that was shortened), Steering box, X-Member (that was sectioned to fit Model A Rails, gas tank etc. all came from the 47 Mercury Fordor that was bought out of local newspapaer ad for $50, this was intentional as the original builder didn't want to re-invent the wheel ( & fail like many of his buddy's had with cobbled/modified suspensions) so he wanted a complete, stock suspension & apparently it worked out quite well, original builder said it tracked down the road straight & would corner excellent.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Never in a million years did I expect the reponse this thread has got...never, I was just excited to share my find & thought there might be a few others who would enjoy the story... turns out there were a "few".. ha ha Thanks, I will keep on & keep on sharing !

jocktherock likes this.
  3. Ya see Joe, Jeremy "Gets it"

Denns1989 likes this.
  4. seatex

seatex

It's been a whole day, where's our "update"? keep 'em coming!

Denns1989 likes this.
  5. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

It's like we all share in your triumph when you post stuff like this. Thanks for all the videos. I love them!

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. I see both sides here, for me it's a matter of reality... I know if I take the body off & properly prepare for a POR application (I have used POR 15 in the past - amazing product) I will find a million little "while I am in here" jobs (that are not critical to function of the car) & the time & more importantly the money will cause my project to be stalled ( I have a 15 month old baby & wife etc. etc)
    I have inspected the welds, they are not pretty but no signs of cracking or repairs, the body was on & off many times during the original build, so frame was built with body off & there are signs of old black undercoating eveywhere under the car so applying black undercoat fits the bill for me at the present time, Here is a before (after scraping & wire brushing) & then an after taken from same vantage point yesterday.

20150307_091509.jpg

20150307_113536.jpg

and then I installed the new floor insulation..., yep I'm at that point !!

20150307_140244.jpg

Skiing today, interior revival will continue next weekend !

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    WC145, brad2v, jocktherock and 2 others like this.
  7. From my yard what you have done totally fits the build.
    Keep following your own lead!

Weezy1930, Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

What's "skiing"? Is that some Canadian slang for working in the garage?

9. Torchie

Torchie

Looking Good!!!!
    Torchie

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

I read all 21 pages of this and I will continue to follow. Something about survivor hot rods is just awesome. From one Jeremy to another awesome work! Thank you for sharing and good luck on the continued progress

11. Jer, Skiing? Went to Cobo Hall instead this weekend. Even if you went I don't think I would have found you. Some nice Canuck cars there!

Denns1989 likes this.
  12. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Jer, Just got done playing catch up on the thread. You be doin good Boy! Keep it up. As Tony, Bob and few other of us old farts have seen, you understand the magic. Those that don't live a pitiful existence. Don't ever lose that desire and understanding. I am very glad that Snoopy found you. You have a long and enjoyable future ahead of you.

BTW, my coupe is in pieces right now as we are trying to do all the things I had wanted to do and get them done by mid April so I can start playing in it. L79 cam going into the 383, rear coilovers, etc.

My best to you.

Pat

Denns1989 likes this.
  13. Another "noticeable" progress step completed yesterday, it was a 14 hour day for me, but it's done :) I used Simple Green for initial clean, then Bleach (Javex) based kitchen & bath cleaner, followed by an upholstry leather/vinyl conditioner.
    Once I got the mildew & dirt off I discovered that both the red & white are "mottled" it has a sorta smoky pattern to it, hard to capture in a picture - I like it, will hide dirt better :)

A good side by side before & after cleaning/conditioning of the seats:

20150314_125447.jpg

And carpet install, gluing dash panels back on & kick panels ( & yes the kick panel lights do work)...

20150314_192210.jpg

And here is "completed" project

20150314_224820.jpg 20150314_224829.jpg

Panels are warped & I had to use some interior screws to fasten the panels that had fallen off during it 44 years of storage, they were originally held on only with contact cement & double sided carpet tape - now that the backer boards were warped & maybe a bit shrunk I had to improvise - I'm happy with the result.
    Today is shop tidy up, then wiper motor rebuild, some nickle & dime jobs, warm up roof panel & attempt install... and it is supposed to be above freezing & sunny this afternoon... hmm still lots of snow... but the roads are bare...

WC145, Woogeroo, tb33anda3rd and 6 others like this.
  14. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Looks great Jer. If the roads are clear, sounds like a road trip is in order. Jim

Denns1989 likes this.
  15. I was thinking it was time for an update here,
    That's a good one.
    Interior looks great, just like the inside of a time capsule should.

16. YJ4000

YJ4000

That is looking really good. As I said before spring is coming. You are making great progress.

Ryan.

Denns1989 likes this.
  17. Torchie

Torchie

Go Man Go!!!!!!
    Torchie

Denns1989 likes this.
  18. Thankyou !, After we got the roof panel "persuaded" into place today - I said to my buddy & his Dad (who came to help out today) - "when I look at this car even though so much work has been done, it still looks like the car I took out of hibernation last summer, & that was my biggest fear, was to loose that "look" when I first seen it"
    Mission Accomplished !

It took 3 guys, one with a heat gun & two tugging to get it landed... It will be a very hot summer day before I even think of taking it off !

20150315_110937.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    WC145, Woogeroo, Weezy1930 and 4 others like this.
  19. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

so great to find an old original rod... and to keep it so original.

Denns1989 likes this.
  20. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Jer,

Does Snoopy have vintage seat belts? My 1964 Buick Special didn't have anything when I got it but we put some in. I plan on putting something in Weeze too, if at least for my passenger's safety. If Snoopy has belts, what type are they?

Be safe!

21. Mart

Mart

I don't recall if you may have mentioned it, but the front seats look a bit MG-ish??

Mart.

22. No, Snewp's didn't have seat belts, however I have ordered a set that are close to the red seat color & have the stainless "aircraft style" latches, just lap belts but better than nothing :) Thought that style would fit with the car allright - haven't installed yet, but that will happen in near future.

Your close :), they are from your side of the pond... 1948-53 Morris Minor, mounting has been modified to fit the floor in the car.

Weezy1930 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Small update, just the little issues now, you know the ones where you spend a whole day chasing your tail & wonder what you actually got done ?

I was hoping these pictures would show the dirt splatters better, a culvert was replaced & I had to drive through a small wet gravel patch :) For some reason I was happy to see some dirt splatters... guess it's because Snewp's hasn't had the opportunity to feel that in over 40 years...

Have about 3.5 miles on the trip odometer now, sorting out some tuning issues (getting coil, plug wires etc. sorted) but I did another compression test (all cylinders now within 100 - 110 range) & also pressurized each cylinder on compression stroke (to check for stuck valves/blow by) & no concerns there (every cylinder held 120 psi with no noticable drop after 30 seconds or so) - things are looking good.

20150322_163932.jpg 20150322_163945.jpg

Different plug wires (old school/wire core) & coil are now ordered (it runs better on the 40+ year old wires than the new supression type I had ordered)... see how he runs after that.

24. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Lookin good Jer. Keep it up. Wish mine were that put back together. The 383 turned out to be a fairly fresh mexican built 350 crate motor with 4 bolt mains....maybe some better heads next winter.....lol

Denns1989 likes this.
  25. For fun & to satisfy my desire to know every part that makes up Snoopy I have been keeping this list & updating as I learn :) It's funny all the cars that donate to make up a Hot Rod !

snewp_specs.jpg

WC145, Rustridden31, Woogeroo and 4 others like this.
  26. Torchie

Torchie

The recipe for a classic Hot Rod. :)
    Torchie

Denns1989 likes this.
  27. YJ4000

YJ4000

That was or is a great idea!

Ryan.

Denns1989 likes this.
  28. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Yes, that's a really good idea. Weeze has a million different donors too, so I too am making a list as I go of all the part numbers for my future reference. After all, it's not like when something breaks on the car that you can go down to Auto Zone and ask for front brake hoses for a 1930 hot rod.:D

Denns1989 likes this.
  29. I'll let this video do the updating ! :)

WC145, Woogeroo, Pockets580 and 4 others like this.
  30. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Congrats on all the work you've done it really shows

Denns1989 likes this.