Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Halibrand cover question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doodlrodz, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Did Halibrand ever make a real cover like this? It has H-102 on the top and Halibrand Eng. on the bottom along with some ugly weld. Sorry pic. may be upside down. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

Somebody repaired it.

3. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure if it's a repair or if someone was just building it up to have Culver City Calif. carved into it??

4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Modified for sure but they may have made one. I have never seen one like it. Gearhead may know.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like the whole inch on the bottom is new. Probably broke off and they welded on a new tab.

6. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

There's no seam on the underside, really not worried about that though just wondered if it is an original Halibrand or a reproduction.

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

From what I can see, I believe it is an original Halibrand piece. Are the " ribs" raised or lowered from the surface? Looks like someone passed over it with a small end mill.
    Remember that the Midget was made by Bob Higman after Ted Halibrand sold off. This division went to National then finally back to Higman. Unfortunately Bob and Ted are both gone. So who knows?

8. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Attached is a photo of one I have like the OP has. It is marked with the H-102 and shows Halibrand-Eng. Torrance City, Cal. It came directly from Halibrand so I know it is not a reproduction. It is machined on the back side for an O-ring. I agree with GearheadsQCE it appears someone has run an end mill across the OP's cover.

Can't get the photo to upload, get error message:
    The following error occurred
    The uploaded file is too large for the server to process.
    DSCF3229.JPG (It is 3.88 MB)

I can e-mail you a copy of the photo if you send me your e-mail address.

9. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys, I knew someone on here would know.

10. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Mike at Doodlrodz, I e-mailed you photos of front and back of my cover this morning. Hope you can find a way to add them to this post. I really struggle with this "New HAMB", that's why I rarely post anymore.

11. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, sure looks like the same one with the exception of the lower tab missing the city, I think Alchemy is right and that has been replaced and the underside machined smooth enough where the seam can't show because the shape around the lower bolt hole is different too. Oh well good enough for the Worthington.

Attached Files:

12. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

It never went back to Higman because he was in the hole for $200k to National for production and machining costs. Liebel eventually pulled the plug and brought all production in house, my friend was responsible for all QC assembly in the National Manufacturing days for Halibrand and Jones parts. Lejuerrne began making QCs in '94, even-though National was still in business making them in Wisconsin, but some bad, drug-fueled decisions eventually killed the company. Lejuerrne has been shady since day one.

Also, I have the original Halibrand pattern for that rear cover and it's mint, this one just looks machined/modified.

13. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the info, did the covers for the Nationals have a City name cast in them?

14. I agree with Alchemy here and they obviously made at least one. Even back then it was a pure NO-NO to use someone else's moniker. That weld will grind off or you could just leave it as proof of battle. ;)

15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

To add to the story:
    Bob Higman did indeed get the business back. My understanding is that there was a court battle, but I don't know the details.
    I purchased 10 brand new V8 Midget centers and related pieces from Bob and his son, who were in the process of starting up manufacturing again. I picked them up at there home/shop in about 1994. I'll post a picture, later.
    I am interested in seeing your pattern. Does it have "Halibrand by National" on it?