Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cruiser skirts A to Z

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Mar 5, 2015.

1. First off let me reassure you I am by no means a professional metal shaper but I will throw up this here thread and show you the steps that I am taking to achieve a mirror image of the other skirt that was completed a year ago . No pics. yet but they will come in the next few days on and off . Just putting it out there if you want to tag along . Later , Andy...

2. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Are you talking about fender skirts?

3. I like skirts... Can we see underneath too?

4. No , full cruiser skirts from my door opening back the rear taillights . there will be wheel opening skirts as well .

5. BarryA

BarryA

I'll be watching - going to do some myself soon..

6. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

How about a set of skirts for this chevy?

Attached Files:

7. Sure wish I could help you out . Amarillo to Moncton !! Oh about 2400 miles . A little to far to drive that nice Chevy !!!!

8. Heres some progress on the cruiser skirt build . 1st off establish your line using 5/16 CRS on your quarter panel . I let mine in at the back 8" - 10" so it would fade away . Tack it onto your panel liberally . At this point now is the time for POR 15 or at least epoxy primer or leave existing paint on the part of the panel that will be permanently covered . At this point establish your design at the front leading edge . I choose this cove type but your limit is your imagination . Use 3/16 CRS to outline your design .Cut your sheet metal to conform with your particular quarter panel shape . Fit it and tack it to your 3/16 round rod . Use 3/16 rod and weld it to the outer edge of your designed sheet metal .This will give rigidity to your piece plus a good point to weld your outer skin to in the future . Wheel up your panel and get it shaped so it will sit on the 5/16 CRS . Tack it onto your quarter panel at various intervals . Hope that makes sense . I will post more as I move forward over the weekend . Probably Saturday night . Thanks for your interest , Andy...

Attached Files:

9. Well didn't get as much done as |I would have hoped . Lot's of life's interruptions today . I got the piece over top of the wheelhouse done . Then I used the shrinker / stretcher to make a wheel arch piece . It runs from down at the bottom of the front leading edge of the wheel well opening , up and around about a third of the way across the top . Started to fully weld it in then I run out of time . Hope these pictures are helpful to someone ! .. Andy...

Attached Files:

10. Picking up where we left off , here's some more pictures of the progress of the skirts . Once one side was made it is easy to get a pattern from . This will ensure relatively close duality of both sides . I rolled up a new skin with a gradual taper to the back of the quarter panel . I would have liked to make this all in one but a man needs to know his limitations !!! This panel will have a rear lower part to it as well , under the rear bumper filler panel side skirt ..
    PS You can see where I screwed up the panel a bit at the front of the wheel arch . I wont have to worry as It is covered by the transition panel that will be made shortly covering the wheel opening itself . Andy..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  11. Welded on that panel previously mentioned . I just have a piece to make to fill in under the bumper filler strip . Then I started wheeling up the wheel opening panel . Clecoed the panel for the time being . The shop is confined and I can't get a decent shot . Tomorrow perhaps as I have to move the car outside to replace an engine in my daughters off topic SUV .Andy..

Attached Files:

12. Heres a picture of the skirt outside finally . Needs some trimming to fit better but you get the idea I hope .

Attached Files:

13. williebill

williebill

Looks good. Thanks for posting.