Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 40 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mj40's

mj40's

Most often I can be found in the USRI booth located in the center room on the back wall. The pickup is suppose to be close by the booth. Just ask for Mel the young dude with a almost white beard.

2. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

3. mj40's

mj40's

I put my upholstery hat on today and covered a door panel and kick panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FlatJan and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. WOW....Looks AWESOME!!!!

5. mj40's

mj40's

I had to turn the truck around in the garage today so I took the long way around the block to do it. First drive and all felt good except for a weak brake pedal spring. Every time I put on the brakes they would hang up until I pulled the pedal up with my toe. A trip to the store fixed that with a much stronger spring than I had on it. Transmission shifted like it should. Never know because it was rebuilt and I bought it from a friend who had a friend.
    I was so excited I forgot to check to see if the speedo was working correctly or the steering wheel was straight when driving. I can't stand a crooked wheel. May have to take another round tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

MJ40 THAT IS GREAT PROGRESS. WHEN WE DO THE FIRST DRIVE OUR EARS ARE TUNED LIKE A HUNTING DOG WAITING FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN!!

LOU

7. Mart

Mart

Congrats on the first drive. I have really enjoyed following this build.

Mart.

8. Todd M.

Todd M.

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

First drives are great... as long as you at least get back to the house!
    Sounds like yours went great.
    Congratulations on a great looking truck.
    Keep workin,
    Al

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice truck--it will be a beauty when done. Been there done that with 40 glass but never a pickup. Found that having my glass cut locally is the best solution and my wife and I always do the install. No cracks or scratches that way. One 40 had a set of glass from a mail order place--none of it fit-had to have it all ground down,etc. and it cost way more than local-last 40 cost $75 for both windshield pcs tinted and fit as they should.--wife and I had them in in about 20 minutes minus inside garnish.

11. mj40's

mj40's

Problems today, for some reason I lost fuel delivery to the carb. New mechanical pump at the motor and new electric pump as backup mounted near the tank. Another thing to figure out. At least it was in my driveway.

12. mj40's

mj40's

I'm going to replace the electric pump. I found that the one on their was from Malaysia and under $20. Probably junk and not sure if it is a flow through design.

13. 2935ford

2935ford

First word that comes to mind on your interior......"sanitary" :)
    really nice job!

14. mj40's

mj40's

Another good day. I had a couple friends come over and help installed the door glass, mirrors, door panels for the last time and installed the widow and door handles. I always liked the looks of the 49-50 Ford handles and escutcheons. Sure feels good to have all the glass in now with no cracks yet. You watch, the first trip I take I bet I get a chip in the front glass. Happen with my coupe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  15. mj40's

mj40's

I like "sanitary" better than "clean". This turd is going to be hard to keep clean.

16. mj40's

mj40's

I found my problem! The Only place I can think of to get that much water in a all new system is the bottle of octane boost I added to the tank. I bought it at the Dollar Store. Now I know why is was only a dollar. The photo is gas in a gallon jar.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  17. mj40's

mj40's

Today progress. I fixed the fuel problem with draining the tank and changing the mechanical pump out for a new one. The check valve was stuck open allowing the fuel to drain back. Bolted the passenger fender on and wired the headlight bucket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  18. Beautiful.....your almost there!

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

It looks like a "one eyed, one horned, flying purple--er, Yellow chevy eater!" ;)
    BTW, if you SHOULD happen to chip the windshield or brake another glass and decide to throw in the towel... I'll be happy to take it off your hands! Your new Pal, Al.:D

20. mj40's

mj40's

The water did more damage than I expected. Fired her up today to clear the carb out and it sounded good for awhile until it warmed up and would not idle at all or accelerate. Pulled the top off the quadrajet and replaced the fuel pump plunger. No signs of water there and works good now!
    Checked on my fender that was to be painted and it looks like I won't have it until next Saturday. I've got 10 days until show time. I figure about a day to install the fender and front bumper and mess around with alignments. Good news is I have all sorts of friends to help me put my two 40's in the show. May cost me a pass or two. I was asked to put my coupe in a 40's is 75 display. Couldn't pass up a t-shirt and a couple passes.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Keep workin'... we're all anxious to see the WHOLE truck! Great build. Glad to hear it is running better.
    Keep it up... you'll be crossing the finish line soon!
    Thanks again for sharing the trip with us.
    Al

22. mj40's

mj40's

Thanks all for the encouragement. It really does help. I see the light!

23. mj40's

mj40's

I spent the day cleaning up the truck after the buffer slung compound around. A couple photos I took today when I had it out in the sun. I also drove it around my subdivision today and all seems good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    jnewmz, Outback, guthriesmith and 3 others like this.
  24. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Lookin' spiffy!

25. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

That's a beautiful truck.

26. HiSpoke

HiSpoke

It looks like your reward starts to come! Thank you for sharing this project.

Jorgen

27. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Awesome. I like it.

28. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

it just looks better and better

29. seatex

seatex

Gorgeous Truck!