Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Computer Drawn Hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Mar 5, 2015.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

HOTROD RAYTRACE 1.jpg HOTROD RAYTRACE 2.jpg HOTROD RAYTRACE 3.jpg HOTROD RAYTRACE 4.jpg HOTROD RAYTRACE 5.jpg Well, I've been working on this full size computer cad drawn '32 Pick-up for quite some time. I have the knowledge of most all of the parts and created each part separately, then placed into many assemblies, then sub-assembled the parts much like you would assemble a real car. The motor, tranny, suspension parts, etc. Realistically, one could take these modeled pieces and use a 3D printer and build a real car. Well, a rolling piece of art that don't real work. It would be one hell of a model!

2. cw1949

cw1949

Very nice! What software did you use?

3. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

SolidWorksCad.

4. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

your gas tank is floating. how will it mount?

5. That's really cool!!!! Wasn't a monogram or revell computer huh?

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Maybe this already exists but it's been a thought of mine and if I had any computer skills I would pursue it: Take what you have there, add optional components such as Hemi, Flathead, SBC / mag wheels, smoothies, wires / blower, tunnel ram, 6x2 / different types of exhaust / color choices, etc., and have the average dumbbell be able build a computer car by dragging and dropping the components of his choice.

7. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I know the gas tank is floating. I turned off a layer with the supports. My Bad. I wish I had the smarts to make a website were you could virtually "Build" your own hotrod with a library of parts. That would be really cool. It's way beyond my pay level and talent.

patmanta likes this.
  8. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

in my working life I designed commercial kitchens (hospitals, prisons, restaurant etc.). started on paper but progressed to CAD. all the manufacturers had each piece of equip. on a cad program. another Co. had the forsite to build a business with a program that allowed you to use any Mfg. piece of equipment, drag it to your floor plan and plop it in. it also had elect. & plumbing connections so you could do rough-in drawings. sounds like this could be a great business opportunity for someone.

9. indyjps

indyjps

You got the skills, why not model up critical points on common hot rod bodies, engines. Start producing frame drawings with different options. 32 5 window with 392 hemi, 30 model a coupe with 283, no problem, I'll send your frame prints.

10. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

This might be a viable opportunity. Let me think on this. Thanks for the idea.

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That WOULD be cool!

12. gobybike

gobybike

I have 4 3d printers in my classroom. Send me the .stl files and my students will print you a hemi!

AHotRod likes this.
  13. Cool. Are you going to try printing it all out?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. Very nice, I like the 3/4 views.
    I took a CAD course in College, but it was in its early stages and there wasn't any layers (at least what I can remember).
    I made a 3/4 view of a Vise to pass the course.
    I probably can do a wireframe of a '32 in Adobe Illustrator, but I don't have the patience and the time.

16. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

beebing,
    I'm not too sure how many folks here know about Cad work. The posted assembly drawing took over 100 hours to input. I am very strict about creating a part to its closest visual apperance. That being said, they're maybe some not identical to the originals but everything that was modeled would fit together.
    NOTE: all parts were created without manufacturing tolerances, allowances for gaskets, etc. This means you could create a model of these parts for a "visual" mock up, but additional work would be needed to go to manufacturing the parts.

patmanta likes this.
  17. deto

deto

CAD is the only way to go for me now. Even when I design small parts, I do it in CAD. If you want stuff to fit the first time its tough to beat.

I assume you used surfacing for the majority of the body?

18. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Wow... having worked with CAD since 1983 and teaching it for the last 25 years, I know how much skill and work went into that!! Obviously a work of passion. Awesome.

pitman likes this.
  19. Dang nice work.

20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Hell and I thought CAD was a abbreviation for Cadillac!

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. Rap, I still remember how long it took to make a simple Vise (early 90's). I made each piece, then assembled like you described. It was trying, lining up each piece until it looked right.
    Putting an engine in a engine bay and aligning it up correctly in regards to perspective in the 3/4 view is a task in its self.
    I must say you have artistic skills if you created these parts without a blueprint. Bravo!

22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I remember using 3ds Max and then on to Pro Engineer almost 20 years back. The closest I got to this was the equivalent of a pine box derby car!

That said, if you do decide to make a mockup toolkit, I'd say making a set of the more commonly used major parts would be most helpful. Having an A frame, maybe with a couple variants with rear kick ups and common crossmember mods, would be coooool. That and some engine/trans, wheel/tire combos. Then move on to some other bodies. But even adding just tgat would be a huge undertaking, particularly at the level of precision you're working at. It might need to be an open source project. I know there are a few of us with access to 3d solid modeling softwares.

23. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks for the accolades. I took my time over about 6 months to create this. It's like fine wine, you can't rush it. No blue prints, just measuring some of my friends parts to get the proportions close. I look back at all the time it took to do and say "I could have been building the real thing!"

24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Bet the real thing would have had an extra cost!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  25. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

As 'Cadd Monkey' (civil engineering) I know the time and effort it took to do that. Taking the measurement was probably the hardest part.

Outstanding work!!!!!

26. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Dave, you are correct sir!

27. indyjps

indyjps

I think theres something here, I'm a mechanical engr and modeled for a few years, I'm about 10 software updates out of the game now it would take me a day to model a simple bracket.
    You have a passion for it and the skills, try to turn it into something marketable. The frame prints are a possibility but have a lot of variables. If 3D printing is the route you wanna take, model some rare speed parts and possibly print them. Watch out for copyrights and patents. While the entire car is very cool, I'm not sure you'll get many takers to print it out.

28. BucketHeadBart

BucketHeadBart
    from illinois

Our company just got solid works recently and Ive been learning the sheet metal and assemblies modules. You've gotta come teach me how to draw models like that. I know that took a tremendous amount of time to do. To say "NICE JOB" just doesn't seam adequate.

29. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Guys,
    I am an Industrial Designer/Engineer by trade and have over 40+ years of conceptual design experience. I have designed and built everthing from home additions through letterheads. I have been making parts (grilles, wheels, suspension, brackets, interior trim, etc.) for rods for some time now. I've worked with rodders, individual garages all over the US and Europe some small shops and some well known ones. Every thing I do is custom to a particular Vehicle. I do not advertise as word of mouth is normally the best. I have more work than I can do but always find a way to work in things. I've advertised in the For Sale / Misc. area of our network and no one responded.
    Anyone interested can PM me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015