Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935 Packard Question(s)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Movinman, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Movinman

Movinman

I recently picked up a 35 Packard project car. I bought it as a roller, with the stock front end and rear end. The rear is something I have never seen before. From the back, it looks like a Ford 9" flipped so the back is facing the bottom of the car, but the pinion is facing the front of the car. I hope I am explaining this correctly. Does anyone have any familiarity with this rear end? Is it usable for a driver, or should I pull it and use a more modern rear like a Ford 9"? I am just putting a plan together for the car, so I haven't dug into it yet.

Attached Files:

2. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

pictures might help?

3. Movinman

Movinman

20150304_131712.jpg

Attached Files:

4. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

beautiful car. . . are you really returning it to stock running gear and suspension? It seems like you would be better off finding a ford 8 or 9 if you are going to re-hang the rear for a better stance anyway.

5. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

weird rear end- but the frame looks super clean in the background.

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I am familiar with late 40's Packards, so I may not be that much help with a mid 30's car, but I would look at it this way. With new bearings, seals, and gaskets that Packard rear end will be as good as any and probably better than most. Packards were always designed and advertised for 100+ mph, in a big heavy touring car.

That being said, parts may be difficult to impossible to find and expensive, where as a 9 inch will be much cheaper and easier to re-build.

If I was building a Hot Rod / Custom, I wouldn't even think twice about the 9 inch. If It was a resto-mod or stock restoration, then it would be awful tough to replace the original driveline components.

Good Luck

[​IMG]

Movinman likes this.
  7. Movinman

Movinman

Thanks. My intention is to build a taildragger out of it. The car will not remain stock. The rear is beefy as hell, which is why the question came up about using it.

8. Movinman

Movinman

This is the stock front end.

Attached Files:

9. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

wow- steering THROUGH the locator bar? My 35 olds had a front frame that was very cool and complicated IFS setup with spring pockets built-into the frame like that. I scratched my head for months trying to figure out how to use it but ultimately just built new from the firewall forward. But it would be cool to use the existing suspension .

Movinman likes this.
  10. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

I know what you mean about the diff,when mine arrived I thought the spring shackles were loose and the diff flipped down,i think the 6cy,v8 and v12 had ratios to suit HP,i'm running a 9''with a series3 Jag f/end,i also replaced the rear leaf springs as the orig's IMO,don't appear strong enough,good luck,Gaz!

Movinman likes this.
  11. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Gear ratio is very low. All the restorers are looking for overdrive or a different gear ratio (there aren't any).

Combine that with obsolete brakes, seals, etc etc and you would be better off just to swap in a later rear axle.

Unless of course you are restoring the car but if you were, you would be asking at AACA not here.

Movinman and i.rant like this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nothing cheap about the front end setup. Impressive parts.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. BJR

BJR

The rear end was built like that for more ground clearance. I had a 32 Hupmobile that had a rear end like that, and it was advertised as being built that way for more ground clearance.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Front suspension is excellent, ahead of its time design. Similar to what Ford came out with as a new innovation in the late 60s.

16. Movinman

Movinman

I appreciate the responses. The Packard is new to me, so you can imagine my surprise when I first saw that rear set up, let alone the front end.

17. JakesA

JakesA

I have not owned a 35 Packard, however have had a 37 and a 38 6. their ride and handling were great much better than a lot from that era. That front suspension was copied by Rolls Royce for some of their post war cars.

18. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Love the Packard grille... one of my favorites!

19. tex1935

tex1935

I put a 1981 Cadillac coupe di vile rear end in my 1939 Packard. I believe it has 2.78 gears, same bolt pattern as Packard. The width is within a half inch. All stock springs, Two inch lowering blocks, new perches for the spring .

Movinman likes this.