Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12V Conversion ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by p51mustang, Mar 3, 2015.

1. p51mustang

p51mustang

Use a Ballast resistor or just get a 12v coil ? Also what effect with the 12v have on the stock points ?

2. Without a resistor or resistor wire 12 volts will burn your points. There is no difference between 6V points and 12v points. Rusty O'tool says you don't have to change the coil because you are using a resistor, he's pretty smart. I have always changed the coil but like I said Rusty is pretty smart so unless someone comes along that I think smarter I would be willing to give it a try.

I always change the condenser, I have thrown 12v at 6v condensers and fried them. it is always a good idea to keep a spare condenser on hand if you are running points anyway. ;)

When you tune up and eventually you will get blue streak platinum points. Just advice from an old fart.

3. belair

belair

Radio and gas gauge will need to see 6 volts if that is original. Heater and starter motors don't care. Dash lights will be very bright and then die ditto for head and tail lights. Wiring is ok to be left alone.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You could also get an internally resisted coil.

bchrismer likes this.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If your 6v car did not have a resistor or resistance wire, then you have a 6v coil and it will work fine with a resistor.

Some 6v cars used a 4v coil and a resistor, in that case you would need a bigger resistor.

6. I used an internally resisted coil when I did the '40 Stake truck.

7. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

All these suggestions will make it work. In the long run you'll have less headaches.