Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A gas pedal and linkage

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kevinwalshe, Mar 2, 2015.

1. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I tried searching for this topic but no luck. What is the best way to put a gas pedal in a Model A. Definitely not using the column throttle linkage. I currently have no linkage of any kind, floor, or pedal. Just a bare steering column. I'd like to make it simple but am aware some fabrication is required. Pics would be great for this little adventure.
    Thanks guys,
    Kevin

2. Carter

Carter

Kevin, considering you are running the stock engine, have you considered using a stock throttle assembly?

3. If you're using a Model A motor & flywheel housing, there are two attachment points on the very top of the housing, about 2" below the deck surface for the pedal assembly. This page has great photos of various Model A throttle assemblies - note that the 2 holes in the bottom of each assembly correspond to the attachment points on the flywheel housing.

If you're using a downdraft carb, you may have to use a bellcrank and/or modify the throttle arm.

4. This photo shows where/how the throttle assembly attaches to the housing. Just out of the shot to the right is the arm that would connect to the carb linkage.

[​IMG]

5. I also suggest the stock linkage. A "Wanted" ad on fordbarn should get you one for about $20. Another alternative would be to search the model a parts for sale on fordbarn and call a few outdated ads for one. They varied over the years (to a restorer) but all will function. CW Moss (cwmossautoparts.com, (714) 639-3083) should have a used one that won't show in their catalog. You probably walked by several of them at the last Long Beach Swap meet (can you wait until the next one?). Don't forget the shims under the two top bolts where the flywheel housing attaches to the engine. They make up for the thickness of the gasket between the engine and the flywheel housing (don't forget that either).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  6. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Thanks guys, I am running a weber downdraft carb set up. I was wondering why those two top bolts seemed too long. I suppose this is one of the small details I've neglected to really pay attention to. I'll take a look at the LB swap meet this weekend. CW Moss is not too far away so he may be a good bet. I actually have all the rods with the little springs that would connect to the linkage itself so that may help me get it hooked up. Thanks again, this is another small step in getting my car on the road!
    Kevin

7. You might post on fordbarn a request for pictures of the linkage for a Weber installation. They are technically a restoration site but there is a little leeway.

Charlie Stephens

8. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I just modified a stock linkage to run a 97 on my coupe project. I didn't get a picture but I cut 2 different ones to fit and modified stock linkages to get it to work. You also might want to check the banger meets that are on here too.

9. I used a 32 B 4 cyl throttle assembly. It bolts to the firewall and has a hanging spoon pedal. There is a difference between V8 and 4 cyl. Price can vary from $30 to $80. It fits fine and looks correct. I do not have any photos but if you need some let me know.

10. diiulio

diiulio

62pan, please post pictures. I am in the process of a putting a '32 4 cyl assembly in my model A. Mine will be for a flat head though, so maybe a little different.

11. This is the 32 B throttle. A V8 has the arm in the up position. It just fits across the firewall indent and the pedal is the spoon type.
    1061.jpg 1059.jpg 1060.jpg

12. diiulio

diiulio

Perfect, thanks. What is the ball on the leg of the spoon for? Is it connected to something or is there a bumper for it? Doesn't look like it is attached to anything on the 2nd picture.

13. Carter

Carter

That would have connected to to the 32 hand throttle linkage.

The V8 pedal assembly is a good bit shorter left to right than the B also, besides the arm pointing up.

14. I would try to find a throttle assembly for a ’32 V8. It might go right in and if not would probably only require raising the mount with a spacer for the linkage due to the difference in the firewalls. You should at least try one. In my case I have a 4 cylinder Chevy II engine in my ’32 and the linkage was further towards the drivers side than yours will be with a flathead. I used the original ’32 gas pedal and fabricated the rest with a 5/16-rod and a short piece of square tubing for the pedal pivot. Note the attachment of the ’32 hand throttle to the gas pedal that you asked about earlier. The passenger side end incorporates an original return spring. Everything worked quite well.

Charlie Stephens

Attached Files:

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

A guy in Baton Rouge cleaned and painted a milk crate full of original throttle linkages. Took them to the Pate swap meet. No one would buy one at any price. They are too common to have any value. I have a milk crate full too but will not put out the effort to ship one because they have no value.

16. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I now have one coming my way from a fellow hamber.

17. 1940merc

1940merc
    from colorado

check Berts model A in Denver colorado

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's a stock linkage setup for a pair of 97's: IMG_1493.jpg

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

2 carb, but hooked up to stock pedal assy. get some old ( or new) linkage pieces and some 1/8 rod and you can make anything up you need ( bellcranks are cool too).Kinda like plumbing DSCN2025.JPG

20. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Hey Mike, A little off topic but how are you planning on bolting your intake? I would like to run a header as well but not sure how to secure the flanges without cracking/squishing them. Is there a place to buy the "half moons" and just run a large washer?

21. mike bowling

mike bowling

I need longer than stock intake bolts(Red's header flange is one continuous piece), copper gasket set, nuts, and the " cup washers " that you can get from one of the "A" catalog's- Mac's , Snyder's etc. I can't remember what the nuts have to be set at, but "snug" is always a good starting point, then check after running at temp. for awhile and re- tighten if needed.

22. Carter

Carter

When I built the header for the single seat car, I made some half cylinder spacers the same thickness as the intake flanges, bolted everything together on the bench and welded the spacers to the header flange. Seemed to work out ok. I made some longer studs and used the stock style washers and nuts.

I think I used some old shock bushings that were laying around and sliced them in half to make the spacers.

gwhite likes this.
  23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'm going to make a run of the header clips. Will post when they're available in the next couple of weeks.