Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wahoo! Fender skirts for my '41 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Found these in Dad's scrap metal bin. He was Not a fender skirt guy for some reason. Can't wait to get em straight and then spend a weeks pay on the trim... I love skirts on these old Buicks. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425358372.893367.jpg

2. 36 sled

36 sled
    from colorado

sweet score thanks dad:D

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  3. Anybody paint skirts in a contrasting color instead of to match? I'm not sure if they'd just look like late additions or good.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Seems to me that would sort of defeat the purpose of skirts.....which I believe intends to create the appearance of the fender being a single streamlined piece. There may be better way to phrase that idea, but I think that describes the concept.

However, do what pleases you.

I am a big fan of Buicks of that era....congrats on your find.

Ray

5. oldolds

oldolds

FYI There are 2 styles of trim on those skirts. If I remember correctly. The early ones were longer than later ones.
    A weeks pay might not be enough to buy an NOS longer set. I saw an early take off set of those skirts sell for $3500+ last year.

6. CadMad

CadMad

can u do afavour and measure height and length. and a flipside pic. please.

7. For some odd reason the skirts for my hardtop matched the ivory top and not the teal body color... they look out of place

8. That's what I was thinking- hopefully we can nail the color-match. It's been painted for a few years but thankfully always garaged so shouldn't be any weird fade.
    Thanks Ray- it's the same maroon dual carb super convert that you've helped/commented on before. Oldolds- yeah, I guess I'd better get a 3rd job... CadMad- here's a pic of the back. No tape measure in storage but I can measure any of it you need - pm me if I forget.
    Scott- that was my only thought that two toning with the roof but I guess not.

Go ahead and check the back of your sock drawers for me will you? Just in case there's some spare trim in there :)

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I can't say I know for sure.....but what I suspect is......if there are two different lengths of fender skirts for '41 Buicks......the shorter set would likely be for Special and Century models, and the longer set for Super and Roadmasters. The '40 Super and Roadmaster introduced the new GM C body that was carried into '41 models. The '41 Special/Century B body was new that year, and carried through early '49 on Specials only. To confuse matters even more, there is a series of A bodied '41/'42 Buicks as well and they have an even shorter rear fender, but may not have had factory skirts available.

As for the missing trim moldings, I have seen them on skirts, as yours show, but also on the aft portion of the fender when no skirts were present. Point being, there were more of those moldings than there were sets of skirts

Ray

10. My car does have them on the rear fender. I wonder if it was removed from the skirt and put on the fender? I'll have to measure the shadow off the skirt and see if they're the same size even.