Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Chevy customs.....can anyone help me out?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RoadFarmer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2

2. the earlier post at Bonneville is when Leroy Selmas owned it - it towed my uncle's 31 Roadster - here next to it - to B'ville in 1950....my uncle bought it about 54/55......go to the Custorama site for more pics......sorry I missed this last time around.....have you made any progress on getting the car? 1950.jpg .....

3. Still trying, it's gonna take some time

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Nice car. Hope you get it. The 37 has got to be the best looking grille.

5. Seems like the last year or so, a bunch of restorers got lost, and wound up on here.
    I agree the 37 has great lines, but a couple of the Customs pictured here are way cool, as well as the Gasser styled one.
    Buy it and cut it however you see fit.

chopper99 and RoadFarmer like this.
  6. I'm trying to get on their good side. I put some used tires on the old ladies early 80's el camino a few months ago. It had dry rotted tires and she wanted to get it sold. Haven't seen it move since though....don't want to be too pushy.

7. Some cars just don't looked as good chopped as stock. IMO '37 Chevys are in this category.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It would be a real shame to cut that 37. It should preserved, not ruined.

9. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Ruined is a matter of opinion. This is the only way you make a 37 look better. Just gorgeous. What an ass!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424326950.503677.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424326965.709524.jpg

chopper99, kiwijeff and 54reno like this.
  10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

11. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Gee, thanks. Glad that's not a pic of my car. I have feelings too you know (sniff)!

12. Hey, it's best to start with the nicest, most complete car possible if you want to cut one up.
    IMO, the '37 era GM cars are beautiful. Fords get a ton of attention but the other makes had some great lines.

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. raymay

raymay

Hope you are able to land that Coupe.
    I got my first 37 Coupe in the early 70's after getting married, buying a house and starting a family. Money was tight so I shot the guy an offer I could afford and he refused. I told him if he changed his mind to give me a call. He did a few weeks later. I got the car and made a good friend.
    My Coupe body was very solid. I did redesign the rear trunk area into a rumble seat. Chrome was cheap back then and I had lots of trim, brackets and more plated locally for a whopping $395. Did my parts shopping at JC Whitney and the local Western Auto. A paint job with the help of some buddies, cleaned up the original interior and the wife helped with the rumble seat area.
    We enjoyed the hell out of this car going to shows, camping, parades and my drive to work car in the summer. When the next kid was on the way we were hooked on the looks of a 37 Chevy and decided to start building 37 Sedans.

scan0056 (2).jpg scan0057 (2).jpg 10-14-2013_006.JPG 10-14-2013_005.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

Each has his own preferences, mine is in avatar. I prefer a little go & a little show. 350 3x2, 700 r4. Just watch out for speeds over 140mph the front fenders try to raise the front end off the ground.

Leakie likes this.
  15. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424362517.007409.jpg m
    My wife's 39 two door sedan

16. 504640

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-O...191512941600&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_3730wt_1156
    The 37 listed at the link above would lend it'self well to a 40's era custom if the one you are looking at doesn't work out!

17. That's cool. Never cared for the 39 front, the 37 is the nicest imho from the 30s.
    Was it a straight forward swap?

18. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

well, if you pass up on it..let me know..ill kindly take it :) but i hope it works for YOU!

RoadFarmer likes this.
  19. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

There's a fine line between pushy and persistent. I think I'd have to test it in this case. Good luck. I've had my 38 coupe since 1974 and may have gotten a little pushy to get it. Since I've had it its been from gasser to streetrod and back to gasser,currently with a 409.
    [​IMG]

RoadFarmer likes this.
  20. Ya, it's been about 6-7 months since I last talked to them. I've heard her husband isn't doing very well lately. Not sure how to go about it.

21. docmike

docmike

BarryA, do you have any pictures of this one with it all primered/painted one color? I'm not sure I agree with your customers design choice but it looks like the work you did is top notch.

Doc

22. BarryA

BarryA

Sorry Doc, I don't. It left my shop in bare metal about a year and a half ago - haven't heard how it is going (he has been busy on the project for 20 years or so!) Given the paint scheme he was talking about - two tone pearl white and charcoal with a bright coloured line (swoosh ?!?!?) separating them I don't think I would post it here..... ;-)

23. cousin steve

cousin steve
    from Orting WA

This is a picture of my fathers coupe he had in socal in the 50's. He bought it before he joined the army and was shipped out to the Korean war. He said he burned a hole in one of the pistons of the original 6 either just before leaving or on a visit home during or after basic training. It stayed with my grand parents until he got back and the story goes that he swapped in a flathead caddy v8 for a little bit and then found an overhead caddy v8 to replace that. He also remembers putting in a plymouth or maybe chrysler instrument cluster. He ended up selling the car to his brother and I believe it went to western Washington. I now own a 37 coupe and will someday build it into a tribute of my fathers car. dads 37+001.jpg

'Mo likes this.
  24. Chevy_creature

Chevy_creature

I just picked up a chopped 37 Plymouth coupe. Need a bench seat, any ideas what would work? Heard maybe a jeep wrangler, YJ rear seat???

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a 40 Ford guy but would jump on a 37 Chevy coupe in a heartbeat-one of the best body styles ever!!! Hope it get/got it.

26. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Don't let 'em get away...

[​IMG]

27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A23--bitchin chevy!!

28. indyjps

indyjps

If you get it, replace what's needed to make it reliable, maybe lower it a little. I like the wide whites. Its a great looking car. Just start driving it.

I'm not against cutting one up, but it's a done car, dont tear it down. Put some miles on it.

29. ...I hope it works out so you can get that 37; 37/38 Chev coupes have been my favorites forever, especially the 37's
    38 cpe 5-18-12 081.jpg 38 cpe 5-18-12 080.jpg