Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods This sucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chiro, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiro

chiro

[​IMG]
    Side door to shop frozen shut due to ice damming at bottom of door. Only way in is to climb the mound and go in through the front. It's heated but that doesn't help me much when you have to open the big door to get in and let the heat out. Spring can't come soon enough.

2. Model T1

Model T1

I live in Florida. What is that stuff?

3. belair

belair

Having a Model A in your garage sucks? I'm so glad I don't live where it snows.

4. pitman

pitman

SnowBucket.jpg
    Might go to some Wintah treads!

Texas Webb and oldcars.acadia like this.
  5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

fuck%20winter[2].jpg Perhaps you can relate to this

Model T1 likes this.
  6. chiro

chiro

No. The Model A in the garage thing is very good. Not sucky at all as a matter of fact. But not being able to work on it does indeed suck. Lol. Last week I chipped away the ice damming, got into the shop and spent a couple hours re-plumbing the carbs. Heater was blasting for two hours before I went in the side door. When I was done at 11:00 pm, the ice melt off the roof refroze the side door and I couldn't get out except by raising the big door. Oh, what fun.

Spring can't come soon enough.

Andy

belair likes this.
  7. 43willys

43willys

I'm in the same boat the ground heaved and I can't get my man door open so I have to go in the garage door

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Could have been worse. Big door could have froze too and you'd been stuck in there until spring thaw!

9. Might just be me, but... that's the reason the side door on my garage opens IN.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slippery I'm sure...

11. I understand its snowing here again

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Now would be a good time to either raise the door or cut a few inches off the bottom and raise the threshold. In the summer you could build a dormer to keep melted snow from dripping in front of the door or move the door to a gable end. As long as it isn't a commercial building you can probably install the door to open into the garage. Check local codes. Commercial buildings in my area require the doors to open out by fire code. We raised all of the doors at work 4 inches and made sloped thresholds.

You could also insulate the garage better so the heat inside doesn't melt the snow on the roof.

13. This reminds me of the freestanding garage apartment Brenda and I rented the first year we were married with the bottom being more of a carport and a door going upstairs.

We had a storm come through and dumped about 6 inches of snow and it packed around the door and froze,,since the door opened outward there was no escape.

There was a small 4x4 porch off the bedroom as the alternative way out of the apartment but the problem was that the lady we were renting from her husband never installed stairs when he was building the apartment and had passed away so we rented it for a song,,,,50 bucks a month in 1972.

So I walk out the door and climbed over the rail and dropped about 12 foot into her huge azalea bushes,,broke my fall and a bunch of limbs,,azaleas not mine.

I was hanging wallpaper at the time so I got out my big scrapes and started hacking at the snow and ice.

Thanks for reminding me of what was a PITA but looking back it is nostalgic! HRP

s.

14. studebaker46

studebaker46

hell danny when you are first married you don't care if you ever have to leave the house tom

15. Well,I do recall going home for lunch almost every day,it's amazing I lost weight the first six months we were married. :D HRP

16. You guys up north act like snow is a rarity. FYI, its going to snow next winter, and the winter after that. I hear we will have 120 PLUS degree days here come this summer, just like last summer and next summer :cool:

17. When you have lemons, make lemonade.
    spring in wisconsin.jpg

tb33anda3rd and kiwijeff like this.
  18. I sorta feel some of your pain. My garage only has one double door. No other door or windows so if I heat it and need to go out for any reason, all the heat escapes. Thats what you call not thinking ahead when you build something. We don't get a lot of real cold weather here or I would have fixed the problem by now. With the last two winters being bad, I just may have to add a walk in door this summer.

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Anyone need some snow? FREE ( shipping extra). DSCN2155.JPG

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have never set foot in the snow in my life. I have never personally seen the ground covered in snow, other than the two 2500 ft elevation peaks here that are 5 miles away.

I hear snow is cold, so I don't want any part of it.:eek::confused:

21. pitman

pitman

^ Tain't call thet livin! :eek:
    Just makes us impatient for Spring to show up.

22. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i may not go to the shop tomorrow because it only going up to 55 degrees

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Heart be still.......

24. the thermostat on the second floor of my house is set at 55 degrees.

25. Been so cold around here 1 or 2 or 12 degrees the other day when it was 35 or so it felt like spring. LOL

26. Dam ! it was 75 today in Oregon.

27. a high of 28 today in se wi. a good day to take the heads off the chevelle. with the sun out the shop got up to 35. i only turn on the heater if the shop is below 25. i feel spoiled now that i have a heater to turn on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.