Register now to get rid of these ads!

cowl steering question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TP, Jan 30, 2006.

1. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I have been looking for a cowl type steering to use in my 27 coupe. They get out of hand on ebay. Well I found one today that came out of an old front engine dragster. It is a smaller unit but seems to be tight. Will this work or is it too light of a duty to put in a street driven car. Don't know the brand. my thinking is : if it was alright in a 200 mph car it should work in my hoopty.TP

2. Any pics? Lots of those used ROSS boxes, really small, will work on a light car.

3. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Tman, I didn't take any pictures ,I just looked at it today. The box is about the size of your fist I guess.

4. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

The biggest problem cowl steering presents when using a race car unit is the gear ratio, most of them are too quick for a road car. The Schroeder sprint car steering boxes are usually 6 or 8:1. You ideally want a wheel ratio of around 15 – 18:1, which can be difficult to obtain through the linkage. However, some people don’t seem to mind the quick ratio, it is a very debatable subject.

5. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I'm planning a 27 T "Lakes styled" Roadster pickup build. I will run either a Schroeder or Ross in it, and see no problem. A lotta' guys go with these boxes in light-weight street rods. I've learned from the experience of driving this type of car that you adapt to things like "tight" steering ratios, etc; Good Luck on whatever you decide to use!

....just tellin' it like it is;....and makin' friends as a result!