Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

great thread ! I've painted a handful of cars in my garage. Here's my daily driven 59' i painted about 4 years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jgang, Model T1, Hotrodmyk and 3 others like this.
  2. mgermca

mgermca

Hmmmm.....23$ for a big bottle, probably not oxygen.
    Must be compressed air, right?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

alanp561 likes this.
  3. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I did pop's roadster in his two roadster 001.jpg roadster 002.jpg car garage over 25 yrs ago. Did a bunch of others as well, but no pics.

4. Diehard32

Diehard32

51 Packard in the driveway with 2 in 1 primer/paint from home depot two years ago. Holding up very well.

Attached Files:

little red 50 likes this.
  5. Diehard32

Diehard32

Also with flat black rattle can. This time in the garage.

Attached Files:

6. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Painted this in the driveway this past summer.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Painted this one in the garage with a plastic tarp paint booth.
    image.jpg

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. No its oxygen. I own my bottle paid$200 for it a few years ago. Its stamped right on it BOUGHT BOTTLE . and I exchange it at Hirsch feed in Thayer Mo.

10. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Very nice! Got any other pictures of this one? Did you do any cut and buffing after you painted it, or did you just spray it like that?

11. Diehard32

Diehard32

Just painted and what you see is the finished product. No additional steps. Just had to paint in the same direction as the wind so the overspray wouldn't land on the already painted surfaces.

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Forgive my ignorance.....but is that house paint or appliance paint?...I wasn't aware that home depot sold automotive paint, can you post a picture or link to the product....even a name brand would be good.
    Thank you.

13. Diehard32

Diehard32

Sorry, I should have clarified that it was a rattle can.

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Holy crap, that was an ambitious undertaking to paint that with rattle cans. I'll bet your finger was getting damn sore from doing that paint job.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  15. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I was a fireman in L.A. County for 30 years and we were called out to a house fire one night. The home owner was painting his bathroom using a propane tank as a propellant. You can imagine what happened when that volatile mixture hit the pilot lights on the stove. It ignited and blew ALL the tile off the bathroom walls,blew the sink off the wall, broke the toilet, moved the stove on the opposite wall about 8" away from the wall. The fireball rolled across the ceiling, down the hall and caught the bedroom on fire. We found the victim in the shower trying to put the flames out on himself. He died about an hour later. Oxygen is not flammable BUT it will accelerate a flame. Plus O2 and any petroleum product will ignite. Do Not Try This At Home!

Model T1, RockinRivi and loudbang like this.
  16. they make a plastic handle that fits spray bomb rattle cans so your thumb isn't needed.

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It's ABSOLUTELY DANGEROUS to use oxygen to spray any paint, solvent, etc.

Why?

Anything flammable is far more flammable in an oxygen environment.
    Particulate matter that can burn well in air goes off like a rocket in oxygen.

Stuff that won't burn without a match at room temps suddenly bursts into violent flame, without a spark, because you mixed it with oxygen.

Gasoline will burn and even explode, at normal temps and pressures, just by mixing it with oxygen.

This is a huge no-no!

Model T1 and loudbang like this.
  18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I know, but rattle cans still don't cover much area when spraying, in my mind, it would be a huge undertaking. :eek:

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any more ? I upgraded my 2 stage HVLP sprayer setup with a 3 stage Ametek turbine so at some point down the line I will be able to add to my thread. :)
    HVLP 003 (2).jpg turbine 001 (2).jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Set up my Sprayfine gun and sprayed a little water to try the system out.
    It works great. When painting time comes I'll be all set. :cool:

21. elba

elba

I painted this in my barn. Base- clear

Attached Files:

jack_pine likes this.
  22. Well some of us old guys still use rattle cans.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I would have posted before but thought this thread was for spray applied paint only.

My '55 truck already had crappy old rattle can primer so I figured it wouldn't matter if I gave her a fresh appearance. Amazingly, it has held up very well for several years.

Here it is as I bought it; except I added the Craigslist Torq Thrust knock offs and take off tires:
    [​IMG]

After Rustoleum Satin Oregano Green:
    [​IMG]

PONTNAK123, Model T1 and slack like this.
  24. 39 Deluxe

39 Deluxe

After seeing the nice work you guys have done I hesitated posting any evidence of my quick amateur paint job on the 39 but here it is.
    Kind of a last minute decision to spruce up the 45 year old bushed on paint job in time for my nephew's wedding. The paint was literally barely dry on the wedding day but everybody was impressed with the car's appearance. Just some Tremclad gloss black and a cheap Princess Auto sprayer attachment for the air compressor. A regulator valve to maintain a steady pressure. I could have spent a lot more time sanding and preparing the surface. I call it a fifty foot paint job as it looks pretty good at that range. Bottom line is for me it looks way better than it did and the surface is protected from further rusting. I made a series of videos of the process just for fun.

[​IMG]

PONTNAK123 and Model T1 like this.
  25. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Good job there fellow Canuck. Tremclad, Home Hardware Rust Coat (they tint any solid color too), and other synthetic alkyd enamels much like Dulux and Old PPG enamel.
    I have used a lot of it too, I reduce it with either acetone or straight xylene, and add 10% acrylic enamel wet look hardener, bascially creating a modified enamel with way mor shine and gloss.
    The Tremclad, or HH Rust Coat , flashes super fast this way compared to using mineral spirits to cut it.
    I almost had to stop and add more redcuer at times to avoid it drying as it was laying out on the panel.
    Also have used the rusty metal primer, again cut with xylene or acetone, on bare steel, and have used both 2 k urethane primers, and lacquer primers over it, with no issues whatsoever, as long as the primer was cured for a few day to a few weeks.
    That recipe I learned froma Georgia gent..

39 Deluxe likes this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As much as I like some of the rattle can stuff and the rustoleum stories, I would much rather see my thread devoted to painting done at home in the garage or driveway using regular auto body sprayers, conventional or HVLP turbine and otherwise and using regular automotive paint products.
    Pro style (or close :)) results at home
    I'd also like to see more home made booth arrangements and even some stories on paint prep before painting.
    Let's see what you have :)

27. That's my plan. You might have to wait a few years though.....

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A Big bump for more. :)

29. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I thought of something the other day when I was working on my 51 dodge. I have a 12x12 pop up that I used racing, I'm going to set the frame up in my garage over the car and cover it over with clear plastic
    . Hope that will keep the dirt out that collects on lights and everything else.

30. This is a very cool thread. I painted this one in my buddies garage.
    IMG_1288.JPG

cptn60 and Model T1 like this.