Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Odd Wheel /Tire mount Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigMikeC, Feb 27, 2015.

1. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

The story of my life... sorry sir we can't help you because your asking for something we no longer carry or is too old or odd. So I take my new pie crusts and wheels to my tire guy and he says he can't work with these wheels because of the way they're made. He's afraid of tearing up the wheel and or tires trying to mount them because of the wide shoulder on both sides of the wheel. Normaly there is a narrow shoulder on one side that helps to get the bead started on. He said he had a hell of a time just getting the old tire off. He did'nt even try to dismount the other one. These are old ET IV 8.5x15 Slots. Any old tire guy's out there seen this before? Tires 002.jpg

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Tire goes on from side with a bit more roll to drop into low center,you can mount them as long as your not trying to mount tires that are more then about 2in. wider then the rim is,with that type rim. Do not try mounting tires that are colder than75* n use soap.

3. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

The guy that you're going to just doesn't know what the hell he is doing...I've mounted tires on that same wheel by hand, just like you do with big truck tires along the highway...it's really not rocket science.

4. There's a video around here wher the guy mounts his tires with a garbage bag

5. Yup, try a different tire guy, no reason not to be able to mount that.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. squirrel

squirrel

I bought a cheap Harbor Freight manual tire machine, it cost around $50. I have an old bubble balancer, too. I'm all set for these fun things.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's always the 8s. 7s and 10s have a narrow side. Yes, they are harder and yes you can rip the bead if you're not careful. The old hard tires are often harder to get off than the new ones to mount, but at least you don't have to worry about ripping the bead. Tire mounting lube and heat are your friends. Bring 'em over!

1217141420.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  8. rails32

rails32

the slicks will go on easyer then regular tires. find a different tire shop.

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

There is a you tube video of a guy mounting pie crust slicks with a garbage bag and some soap. Had the help of a friend and it was "cake"!
    KK

10. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

11. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

Thanks for all the great info. I mounted them myself with some soapy water, and a trash bag. Works great! Tires 007.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Thanks for all the great info. I mounted them myself with some soapy water, and a trash bag. Works great!"

I love it. Be sure to let your tire shop know.

13. Haha love it!!
    Take the trick to the tire shop.
    Unless he thinks he will tear up the beads by hand with a garbage bag