Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How does a guy attend sema?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Feb 28, 2015.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have several friends that are in the industry that have never attended sema.(so they dont know the ins and outs) I am a self employed trim carpenter so Im not in the industry but I have had jobs doing woodwork on my friends customers cars. Is that legit to attend the show?

2. gatz

gatz

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yeah did that already but it was sort of vauge. maybe I missed something. I know its not open to the public but I know of several guys in my area that are not in the industry that have attended.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have them hire you to carry their bags at show

5. Bugguts

Bugguts

I attended a few years back. Had an awesome time and want to do it again. That being said, I am in the industry. We filled out a form on line if I remember right. Received our confirmation and later recieved our credentials/ID badges. Don't know if they did a background/ industry check to see if we were legit or not.

6. Vendors pay huge sums for space at SEMA,,even have to pay a union man to connect electricity and another to connect up a phone..So,vendors really need to consentrate their sales effort on large volume buyers,not be bothered by "Joe Public" there just to see the sights...When I worked in the industry,you would be surprised how much time is wasted on "lookers",be considerate of everyone and stay home...
    Unless you are prepared to spend "BIG BUCKS"

7. I've had several friends attend and they were not in the industry but went with other guys that were. HRP

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Wow thanks for the kick in the balls. Ive been around old cars my whole life so I dont consider myself Joe Public like some gold chainer that has some money that doesnt know a ford from a chevy.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Iv'e got to liking getting kicked in the nutsack here, then, I can get the wife to rub them more often.
    Rusty--You will really like the SEMA show , just take comfy shoes, it's pretty big, and grab a burger at Micky D's first, cause the grub is kinda pricey there.
    Last time I was there was right after they opened up the skies to plane traffic after 9/11,
    besides; I heard they put the kibash on all the scantilly (sp.) clad girls in the booths.
    Enjoy SEMA
    P.S. thick skin and HAMB go good together.
    Doug

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ive been to international builders show several times being that im a carpenter at the convention center. I know all about how big it is. Your right about the comfy shoe thing. I also hear ya on the thick skin thing.

11. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

After attending 30+ SEMA shows, I can tell you there are hundreds of "average Joe - non automotive" guys cruizing around the show all day, every day. SEMA is getting a lot of heat from those high paying booth buyers about that.
    But, you can still get in. Just invent a shop name, print up a few business cards (a DBA registration in your county is cheap and may help), then pre-register. SEMA wants to tout attendance numbers to get more money from the vendors. But here's the thing...
    If you go to look, remember that for most of the people this is their living. Don't bug booth people with questions about your own car, and NEVER think you'll impress a rep with how cool and powerful your (fill in the blank) hot rod is. Oh, and don't get drunk - that hot booth model is just not really in to you!

12. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

You make wood reproduction parts for cars and have a business card that states that; Right !! Make out your application and enjoy the show.

Special Ed likes this.
  13. donno

donno

Lucky enough to know someone who got me in to SEMA,( 3 times) Last time I had passes for 2 and couldn't find anyone who wanted to go.!!