Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removing bench seat from pickup - looking for bucket options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjet, Feb 27, 2015.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'm pulling the bench seat from my '59 Chev p/u. What "bucket" (for lack of a better term for individual) seats have people tried? Maybe some type of OEM GM 60's low back? I was thinking Camaro, but they may be too small for the cab.

Cheers

2. JMHO ,I'm sorry but bucket seats just look out of place in these trucks. HRP

bobwop likes this.
  3. Many 60's products will work....65 mustang maybe

4. Squablow

Squablow

I think Camaro ones are going to be too tall and skinny. The 64 era Impala/Corvair buckets would look nice, they're low and wide, although they're not cheap anymore and I'm not real sure what advantage they give over the stock bench. If you just need it to be split for whatever reason, early 60's Rambler front seats are basically a bench seat split all the way through down the middle, might look nice, and might be narrow enough in the truck to leave a gap in the middle for a shifter or whatever.

5. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  6. lowrd

lowrd

The bench seat shift handle not available for your shifter? Just thinking of cost of seats and fabrication of new seat mounts etc.....

7. lowrd

lowrd

The bench seat shift handle not available for your shifter? Just thinking of cost of seats and fabrication of new seat mounts etc.....

8. That's the style I'd consider of bucket if you have to, but like lowrd said- bench seat shifter handle (search 1957 chevy 4 speed) looks like a big C and could save a bunch of headache

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Look into Chevy HHR seats, remove the headrests of coarse, could work out for you.

10. What about something like Rivi buckets and console? Always liked mid to late 60's Buick interiors.

11. squirrel

squirrel

35 years ago when I put a Hurst Competition Plus shifter on the Saginaw 4 speed in my 59 chevy pickup, I just cut and welded the lever right above where it attaches to the shifter, so it angled forward. Worked fine. Then a year later, I put a seat out of a car into the pickup, and totally screwed the the truck...it was very uncomfortable to drive. Years later, I put a stock bench back in it, and have been happy ever since.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Those Tempest ones are the same as Corvair, Grand Prix, Impala, ect, except that the cheaper cars didn't have the trim band all the way around the top. I think they would look nice in a period pickup truck.

Please don't buy anything newer than that. I don't care if the headrests come off, or if you cut them up or reupholster them, late model seats never look good in old cars or trucks.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

tjet
    Depending on the theme of your truck, you might consider these seats; made by Mastercraft, they are light, compact but roomy, and easy to mount.
    They make most of the prof. off-road racing seats, these are for the pre-runner trucks, they are called a suspension seat, many options including seat heaters. They come already upholstered, high or low back, as well as width options so just pick your color and bolt them in.
    Took them out of my roadster to make a 900 mile(one way) trip to So-cal in my friends 57 p.u.
    as his got held up at the upholstery shop. Were perfect with the Richmond 5 speed shifter. DSCN1625.JPG DSCN1092.JPG

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sorry- I do not have photos of seats mounted in truck.

15. missysdad1

missysdad1

[​IMG]

Nah, man, you're going totally redneck instead of doing it the clean way. Here's the Hurst lever you need, from a '57 Chevy application, complete with part number: 8620 (or 8820 my eyesight isn't too good any more.)

Hitchhiker and guthriesmith like this.
  16. Ford actually installed the early Mustang buckets as an option in their '60s trucks, so that's one of the better choices. There's several things to think about in a seat swap in a truck. One, most pickup truck seats have 'thin' backs; this allows the seat to go back further in the cab. Most '60s car seats have thicker backs, you'll lose a couple of inches of legroom to the back. Another issue is truck seats usually have you sitting more 'upright' compared to a car; most '60s car seats have you reclining more. You can adjust this by making the seat back more vertical, but not all seats can do this; many had uneven hinge lengths and swung towards the center of the car when tipped forward. Move it much, and the seat back ends up angled. The '64-68 Mustang/Cougar had 'even' hinges, maybe the Cameros/Firebirds did too. As these don't grow on trees anymore, look at mid '70s-80s Jaguars as an alternative. These look a lot like the early Mustang seats (with easily-removed headrests) with thin backs, even hinges, and factory adjustable backs. These don't use conventional springs in the seat base but rather a rubber 'membrane', so make sure that's not damaged. Jag 'modernized' their seats starting in '90, so while some use the same frame, the foam is shaped different. All are very comfortable seats and seat cover kits are available.

Personally, I'd modify the shift linkage and stick with a rebuilt stock seat....

17. TomWar

TomWar

Image007.jpg Z58 driveway.jpg I put a 60/40 seat from a about a 1999 Cadillac in my 58.

18. If you can find a pair, the buckets out of an early 70's Opal GT are comfortable riding seats. Look nice too.

19. Buckets look like ass 99% of the time. Listen to Squirrel and the others and just use the right shifter. Or, another common way is to notch the bench and recover the seat.

bobwop, Hitchhiker and fourspeedwagon like this.
  20. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Late 60's early 70's GM low back truck seats, Silverado, Sierra Classic and blazers.

21. I am in the "leave the bench and fix the shifter" crowd. Trucks always look better with a bench to me. Every time I see one with buckets, I think it sure would look better with a bench (that was designed to fit and look right). I have had a couple pickups with four speed shifters and they worked fine.

22. 53 ford

53 ford

80's jeep grand wagoner. Low back, wide seat.

23. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

if you go bucket at least go with vintage looking ones .Not a fan of those new big fancy new car looking ones in a classic truck.

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

This is a late 80 build I did on a 50 chevy. Used 60 Gm seats. Was a great width to still add storage in the middle compartment.

P9030016.JPG

25. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Notch the bench....that sounds like an option. I'm going to do a search for that. Thanks

26. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That might work, but my shifter has a reverse lockout handle on it (see below)

[​IMG]

27. missysdad1

missysdad1

Well, if it was mine (which it isn't...) I'd swap the go-fast shifter for a regular plain-jane Hurst Competition Plus shifter with the bench seat stick and no lock-out. Problem solved. Besides, a race car shifter in a street driven pickup truck might look a little out of place, know what I mean...?

[​IMG]

28. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Well I hoping to use some of the stuff I already have.

If I was to get another shifter, this one below would fix my seat clearance issue & I wont need to cut the structural rib section under the seat....Not sure how durable it is tho

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

30. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I know you asked for buckets but.. look for a 88-90 full size p u. it has a very thin back to it which will give you a little more room. I think...not sure but I think I remember that the seat is just narrow enough to fit in the truck.Any way good luck