Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad Seller Warning?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Green Rodz, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I guess the best policy is to go get the car and take the owner to the courthouse to do the title work. You might need a copy of the title to bind insurance prior to your trip. Honest sellers will want the car out of their name prior to it leaving their possession. You need to think about the transaction and go visit your county tax collector.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Typically both parties end up pissed at me.

3. Some members here think this site is becoming too much like Facebook. By taking this approach, Ryan is making sure that the HAMB doesn't become like Facebook. ;)

In other words, THANKS! :cool:

4. Let me get this straight, You offer the Hamb to the public free of charge and you throw in the classifieds,again totally free of charge and 2 guys make a private transaction between themselves and one thinks he got the short end of the stick and all this makes you the bad guy?

I'm sorry but for the most we are all adults and when you use the Internet to make make a expensive purchase like a car you should have someone check it out if you are unable to go and look it over yourself...I have had fellow Hambers check cars for me.

I'll wrap it up with I am afraid you hear about the problems with the classifieds but rarely hear the positive outcome.

I have been a member for a long time and all my experiences with the classifieds have been excellent. HRP

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You gotta put yourselves in their shoes. This is just a website... And guys like this get really frustrated because so much money is on the line. I actually understand the sentiment.

6. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Bingo. The initial post was to inquire about the "bad sellers list" and how it works. There are some bad sellers/scammers here (like everywhere else). I know this first hand and it is frustrating. It comes with the territory though.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Have you ever inquired with me? The reason the bad sellers list hasn't been updated in a long time is because we are really good at getting shit done.

8. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

No, you have enough on your plate. I feel any moves I would make here (or elsewhere) is up to me to handle. I would never make a large purchase (like a car) without being there in person though.

Tony Martino likes this.
  9. I don't understand the sentiment. I could understand if you were a third party and had your hand in the transaction and made money on it.

Could you imagine the hell Craig from Craigslist would go through if he was blamed for any/all bad transactions??

10. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Well, let me point out a few things:
    I think one of the great things about the hamb is that we are all hard-core in the hobby, and over the years we weed out the schmucks. Thus, everyone here should feel pretty darn confidant when making a purchase from another member. That's how I personally see it. If I see you are a member here for say, 6-7 years, and you list a car for sale, I know (at least I hope) that I don't need to ask for other hambers to go see it for me to see if it's "as he says it is". I shouldn't have to. No one should. THAT is why we are in a group like this (in my honest opinion).
    There are several guys here on the hamb who sell a lot of cars. They offer little, or zero other value to the site. They use it as their own private FREE "ebay" so-to-speak. I can name 3 or 4 of those guys right off of the top of my head, and I know you guys can too. They have a lot of contact and interaction with members here regarding sizable sums of money. That being said, I think we ALL owe it to each other to keep each of us abreast of things that go bad. I think it needs to be done tactfully, and with respect, and dignity...but it needs to be done. I think it's the same with anything where there is a large group of people that interact on a regular basis. Sometimes things go bad, sometimes guys need a little nudge here and there....or a shove, in order to do the right thing....but it can be done in a way that respects everyone involved.

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  11. Sorry you got burned, but no way would I ever buy a car sight unseen, no matter what site its on or who's selling it. You can find posts like this all over the web, including here sometimes.

If you TRULY feel you got scammed, then why not post up details and parties involved, otherwise the thread serves little purpose.

12. This is a very rare thing here on the Hamb. I have delivered HUNDREDS of vehicles where the buyer & seller were Hamb members & only a few times has the buyer felt like he has been screwed over. I would say at least 80% of these transactions were done with just pictures. The only reason it seems like bad stories about transactions are "all over the web" is because very few people ever post info. about positive transactions. For the people that are a little more leary of buying like this, the Hamb O Dex & dealing with Alliance members will give you some piece of mind.

13. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Don't want to end up (figuratively) like the opposition party leader in Russia.

Seriously, don't want to stir up drama if I don't have to. I HATE drama.

14. Thats all this post is, same as your signature line. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.