Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Manual steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59buick, Feb 27, 2015.

1. 59buick

59buick

Anyone know where I can find a manual steering box for a 53 Chevy car, I am around the Tulsa area, do not know if there are any old salvages around here. Any ideas? Any repo boxes out there?

2. Owens salvage in TX. Might be in the Odex listings.....

3. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Not used but, try Chev's of the $0's or, The Filling Station.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Flat Top Bob at Owens Salvage. Check the HAMB O'Dex

5. pdq67

pdq67

Might see what Oreilly's or Autozone might have??

pdq67

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

need to replace or don't have one? think that chevysofthe40s.com has rebuild kits.

7. rfraze

rfraze

Check out Auto Parts - Used in the Yellow Pages.

8. i would think 53 and 54 would be the same. about a year ago there was a junk yard that three of them but they all went to the crusher...sorry

9. 59buick

59buick

I know there was a couple of 54's close by where I am that went to the crusher, sad.

10. OK I was gust looking at a thread about bagging a 54 or 53 chevy and the guy is installing a M2 front end....there is your steering box. the poster is jbuhll954 do a search. he is in OK city

11. are you changing out a power steering set up? i will trade you.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bit more info on what you are trying to do would help folks help you with solid ideas or suggestions.
    Guys are always updating and pulling the stock 53/54 steering and suspension out to put MII kits in. That should make some usable boxes available.
    If your box is worn out there are parts available though the previously suggested vendors and more to rebuild it.
    Lastly there have to be some 53/54's in wrecking yards or in the hands of guys who part cars out within a hundred mile radius of where you sit. The Pate swap meet is coming up in a couple of months and That isn't very far away either. Personally I'd load up all the tools I figured I needed to pull a box out of a rig and hit the road early on my day off in the direction that might produce a few places I might be able to find one and make a road trip day of it.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What was the name of that TV show on Discovery? In Phoenix, Arizona. Desert Valley Auto Parts? There is also someone making a kit to use an Astro Chevrolet Van steering box for power steering conversions (search over on ChevyTalk.Org). They also have a sale/wanted forum for the 49-54 cars. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. 59buick

59buick

Thanks for all the tips, found one at Owen's salvage for 150.00 plus shipping, not bad.

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Flat top Bob is the man.