Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Candy, Lace, Flake, Flames... wanna see WILD custom paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Too much ? Naaa , it's just right !
    That must have taken an enormous amount of time . Good thing it turned out nice , lol .

BarryA likes this.
  2. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

3. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Another public service from elspock84! The last checkerboard pattern really got me thinking about your technique there. Is that a stencil or more like fish scales where you move the mask along the piece as you spray?

4. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

5. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

6. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

this impala skull is from da hood
    [​IMG]

Zed likes this.
  7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Checkers are my thing ... I'm diggin' the look for sure !
    I absolutely love that skull too - what a great way to do something totally out of the norm. Bravo !

8. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

,m b
    no stencils and nothing like da scales. It's easy just not ready to let da cat out da bag yet.

9. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I always thought elspock was the bomb!!!!!!!!!!

elspock84 likes this.
  10. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

A local guys car!

Attached Files:

11. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

LMFAO!! thanks homie

12. chopper

chopper

Hello there

My third attempt at custom paint:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  13. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Nice work, Chopper. Any lessons learned you can pass on to those of us getting started?

14. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

How did you achieve the diamond pattern?

15. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

3rd time is a charm. I'd say

16. chopper

chopper

Thanks!

Well, one thing that I learned while making the first two panels, is that it's clever to make two (or more, if the situation demands) templates for those fishscales, quills etc, instead of only one. In that case you can toggle between the wet and dry templates, cause they're going to "bleed" after few runs. So, this time I made backup templates too and it was quite comfortable to make a few runs and then taking a dry template just before the previous one is going to spill.

Haven't done diamonds here, not intentionally at least :D Although, it gave me a good idea now, thanks for that.
    The lower panels feature fishscales (although they are quite pointy in deed) and upper ones are called quills, if I'm correct. At least that's what one of the early custom paint book is telling...

One thing that I would really like to do, is those qubics (don't know how this trick is called really), but I haven't figured out the "how-to" strategy. If anyone cares to explain Id really appreciate it.
    Like those in the middle here (I hope elspock84 won't mind for linking his photo):
    [​IMG]

17. I don't know how someone else would do it, but I'd have some vinyl masking made up with three sets of diamond shapes cut in it. Consider the lightest color to be "1", the medium tone to be "2" and the darkest to be "3". Apply the mask and peel off the "3" sections, then shoot the panel. Then peel off the "2" sections and blow more color. Finally peel off the remaining "1" sections and lay down the final coat(s). The "3" sections will have the most layers/darkest color and the "1" sections will have the least/lightest.

18. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Nitrobrother, I am still reeling from using vinyl as a mask in a candy paint project. It turns out, vinyl liked to stick to my surface and I damaged the layout trying to remove it. Maybe some talc or something on the sticky side to reduce the vinyl's adhesion but then who wants talc around their fresh paint....thinking out loud

19. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

some of last weeks work

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. chopper

chopper

Nitrobrother, thanks for the insight, can't wait to try it out.

21. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Vinyl is a pain unless you get the right vinyl. The sign shop should be able to point you to the stuff that is low tack, it's usually the cheap stuff. They can cut your pattern for you if it's one of those complicated ordeals. I was lucky when I was doing custom paint full time because the shop owners brother had a mobile vinyl rig, he would take my design, scan it in his laptop and cut it for me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. chopper

chopper

Finished one more panel and going to work on an eggshell helmet this weekend.

[​IMG]

Zed and Martin Harris like this.
  23. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Yeah, baby!!!:pSweeeet!

24. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

I'd hang that on my wall with spotlights shining on it. Shame to hide it under a lowrider really. Incredible work.

BarryA likes this.
  25. Pauljrestomod97

Pauljrestomod97

Oh no! I should have never looked at this thread! I'm still at least a year from paint and now I am losing my mind looking at all these amazing paint masters and their work! So much for keeping my Caddy "conservative..." As was stated earlier... I'm coming over to the "flake side." You guys are AMAZING! Flaked roof in my future now FOR SURE!

loudbang likes this.
  26. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

1942 Chevy i did last week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Knghtcadi, Zed, Martin Harris and 9 others like this.
  27. WOW, that looks really nice.
    I love those corners where each new colour reaches a little further down the A pillar.

28. Pauljrestomod97

Pauljrestomod97

So... I've been working on my fully custom trailing arm suspension, and well, after going through this thread, I thought I'd try a little flaking... This was my very first try at this and it's just mini fireball flake in a inter clear over a red candy with a silver base. This was shot just after I sprayed my last top clear coat in the booth, and the lighting isn't great, but I learned a lot shooting flake yesterday. So question for you guru's of the flake world... How do you get the flake to lay out flat or flat-ish; I had a hard time burying it even in 5 coats of clear after the flake pass? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  29. Pauljrestomod97

Pauljrestomod97

Oh, two more, in the sun...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Martin Harris and Maverick Daddy like this.
  30. Looking good @elspock84! What's the plan for the bottom half?