Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drilling Nickel Rod Welded Cast Iron, Whats the best way?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100% Matt, Feb 22, 2015.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's too bad, as a layman I enjoyed the lesson. I suspect the .025 percent was a typo, .025 being the decimal form of 2.5 percent. As for the rest, hopefully someone will point out what's off, it's not that important to me to go fact checking on other websites.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

i believe i told you a long time ago that this is the U.S.A. unless you have been through professional 4 year training in an apprenticeship that included metallurgy and dealing with exotics and dissimilars and taught in an adult training program and certified welders to THE AMERICAN WELDING SOCIETIES A.W.S. D1.1 and carried xray certifications and xray certifications to nuclear specification under the guide lines of THE U.S.NAVY BUREAU OF SHIPS CONSTRUCTION. DO NOT THINK YOU ARE MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN I AM.

Joliet Jake likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

HEY BLUE
    YOU HAVE JUST BEEN NOMINATED FOR THE RUDE DUDE OF THE YEAR AWARD

blowby likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't make me turn this board around!

100% Matt likes this.
  5. k9racer

k9racer

Thank You Bernie. I have picked up more knowledge on this thread than I have in a very very long time.

6. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

You might want to read some of Bernie's past posts before you start ragging on Blue One. He has a history of the same sort of useless and totally inaccurate "information" as he posted in this thread, and he can't seem to resist coming across as an overbearing blowhard.

Spend a little while learning about the making of cast iron and its metallurgy and common alloying elements, and you'll learn Blue One was exactly right when he said the teacher was a failure at his own course. Useless information is worse than no information at all.

Anyone can make mistakes, and everyone does, but more than a few people here have witnessed enough of Bernie's prior interactions to know his standard response when he's wrong is to start screaming and double down on the bullshit. That's why he doesn't get a pass when most other people would.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks for the support.
    Bernie always spouts off on how knowledgeable he is yet never seems to be able to show it.
    I just reached 60 and have been in the welding game since I was 17.
    My full time gig for the past 17 years has been teaching my trade. And that includes metallurgy and Welding Inspection.
    Anyone who is curious on just what level Welders are trained to in Alberta can go to www.tradesecrets.org
    and see the full Welder apprenticeship outline.
    I know I should resist when Bernie posts something, I just can't resist running the BS flag up the pole however. :D

RICH B and 100% Matt like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well, it seems we do agree on at least one thing.
    I still stand by my original statement.
    IIRC welding tradespeople are called weldors.
    I own a welder, but I will never claim to be a weldor.

blowby likes this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's ok, your original statement really means very little.
    The Welder, vs. weldor thing is a very old argument and apparently both are correct depending on what part of the world you are in.
    In my part of the world, we are Welders and my ticket says that I am a first class journeyman welder.
    A welding machine or welding power source provides the current, a welder performs the work.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My opinion B&B have so perverted and hijacked 100%Matt's,(the op) original question that any further discussion, wouldn't benefit an answer to the original question.
    Matt, maybe you need to start yourself a new thread and leave this one to the hairsplitters and spell checkers.

11. My old boss told me I was "a weldin mochine"
    Not to be confused with a welding machine.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The OPs question was answered very well by several of us way before any of the other stuff started.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I hope the rant is over as you have already been told that given Bernie's history here it was called for.
    If you had been around long enough to have gone through that history then you would understand.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

[QUOTE="dirty old man, post: 10866387, member: 48612"
    Matt, maybe you need to start yourself a new thread and leave this one to the hairsplitters and spell checkers.[/QUOTE]
    Matt--sorry for the hijack
    Peace, Doug

16. 7314haywood

7314haywood
    from phoenix

Locksmith would sell you a bit used for drilling safes. I have them at my shop if you desperate.

17. walker

walker

Mostly I was giving him the information the a cheap masonry bit would suffice for a one shot hole versus a carbide cutter which you suggested, and is generally solid carbide, AND not usually on hand in the average toolbox. And also that it makes a big difference whether he is cutting a new hole or trying to salvage one with weld slopped in it.
    Also, I have had to work many welded cast iron joints and have found very few that were not hardened to some degree,even when using Ni99 instead of Ni55, so in my experience your #8 post is pretty misleading, and at the very least doesn't give all the answers? Perhaps you generally work on lower carbon cast and I work on higher carbon stuff? May be the view is different from your high horse.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Walker-- carry that torch high and proud.

19. walker

walker

I try!;););) The Webernet is no fun without those of us trying to overcorrect for those that that are overcorrecting.

And all this for 2minutes worth of work carving out a hole in metal. Probably takes longer to read than to do.

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

21. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Being a certified welder in the world of gas and steam turbomachinery myself, I find this thread so entertaining. I myself have had issues welding certain types of cast iron, regardless of my training. But to your question, I have used carbide burr bits and carbide drill bits to cut into it, starting small and working up with the drill bits using tap magic cutting fluid. Good luck.

22. walker

walker

23. Welding threads often get spirited.
    Why? Well once upon a time they decided that stocking welding machines across from the dog food was a good idea. Just look and see what's become of that.

24. pdq67

pdq67

He, He!!

Might try drilling a hole in a DV-38 brick!

pdq67

25. There's not supposed to be holes in those! Wise ass refractory guys :D

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

27. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

ok here is the correct way to repair the broken tab on the cast iron exhaust manifold..

get a piece of solid copper round stock that matches the diameter of the needed hole. start building up the area and when the tab is completely built up let things cool completely and then use a regular drill bit and drill the hole out and the part is fixed.

28. FTF

FTF

Lifetime Member of AWS
    AWS CWI #79050611 (35 years)
    ASNT Level II RT, PT, MT and Film Review
    Former Member LU 351
    I'm 65 and started welding at 16 in Vo Tech
    I've taught or worked for most of the schools in the Tulsa area and worked for most of the major engineering firms in the US. I've built Power Plants, Oil and Gas, Paper Mills both US and Overseas and in my youth spent 10 years as a aircraft welder certified to MIL spec's. So yea I think I'm as least qualified as you are and sorry but your info is really out there. Knocking the flux off a stick rod is really hillbilly and in fact when added with smaw is called Arkansas heliarc. Another really stupid idea that AWS didn't deem worthy of review. I'm all for trying to do stuff yourself but welding cast iron even for the most experienced of us is a crap shot even with Ni Rod.