Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Last year convertible tops were steel

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by martinautobody1, Feb 25, 2015.

1. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Does anyone know the last year convertible tops were steel rather than cast? (So it can be cut and welded) I need to build a working chopped top for a 1950 Buick hardtop I cut the roof off of. I've built three of these cars with Carson tops, and want a golfing top this time!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 1959 for Fords. But the Sunliner was always cloth.
    Pierce Arrow used cast aluminium bodies for years.

Cosmo

3. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I think he's asking about convertible top frames. I had a 68 Olds 442 convert whose top frame was steel, and still own a 69 Corvette whose convert top frame is also steel. Never heard of cast iron top frames, but I also never paid any attention one way or the other unless it was something I owned.

4. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I would think a lot of them would be forged and not cast. I am not sure but I think the one on my '50 chevy is forged but I don't honestly know.

5. Had a '72 Skylark top I could not give away and it was mostly all steel. Probably would work great on that Buick, but if it's still around it's buried under 2 feet of snow somewhere up to the farm.

6. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

How did I leave that out? Yes, top frames. I need one that I can cut, weld, and customize to fit my Buick. Most modern frames are cast, and probably no steel. I can't really find a 50's Buick in a junk yard, but do see other convertibles around.

7. CadMad

CadMad

as the owner / restorer of 4 53 convs and knowing the well shape, i think i'd be looking for a similar year car that used tha rps20150226_061804.jpg t top.
    Not sure if your Buick is Cad size or Chevy size top but you can adapt either. Lots to consider if you want to fit a top as well. about to instal a top

8. What the hell is a golfing top?!?!?!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I'd bet you'll find the cast ones are cast steel rather than cast iron. Something brittle like cast iron would be deadly in a crash. If they're cast steel then they'd be weldable.

10. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Haha. Spell check version of folding top

11. atomickustom

atomickustom

1975 GM top bows were steel. Most '80s and newer ragtops were too small for your Buick anyway.

12. shooter6

shooter6

Even the new cars are steel or aluminum alloy, (exotics). Cast iron would be to heavy.

13. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

I was thinking about a mid to late 60's model Buick. The top frames are reasonable, and they were big cars. I was just wondering if anyone's actually welded on one.