Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '36 Ford rear bumper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mpot, Feb 25, 2015.

1. mpot

mpot

I am converting my '36 Ford five window coupe (see avatar) from the strip to the street. Along with chopping 2" out of the top and adding hood, fenders and running boards, I also want to use stock bumpers. The front looks great but the rear is horrible. The middle of the bumper is 10 1/2" from the body. I know that it is like this because of the original spare tire but I am not using that on this custom. So far, I have not been able to find anyone that has the ability to re-curve the spring-steel bumper out here in West Texas. Any ideas?

2. you can use shortened bumper braces that place the bumper closer to the body, i know someone has them....maybe Drake?

3. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

4. mpot

mpot

I looked at Drake before and they do not have them but I hit a home run at Rock Valley. I appreciate that buford36. I assume that the bumper can be pushed up close enough to the new braces to get the bolts in and does not have to be hearted and re-curved?

5. Can you not shorten the originals? HRP

6. mpot

mpot

The originals are 5/16" thick tempered steel. I don't know much about metallurgy but I assume that it would be quite a trick to keep them from getting brittle after heating them red hot to re-curve them, not to mention finding the proper design. The amount of work to do this is not feasible when I can buy the new brackets for $85

7. mpot

mpot

FYI, I just found out that Bob Drake has the short bumper braces but they are $120 instead of$85 at Rock Valley.

8. These are Rock Valley brackets, stock bumper bolted right up. Might have had to use a clamp to draw it in a might, but not much. Also, make sure you have the brackets under the rear panel that bolt to the frame rear member.
    36 3w rear bump.jpg

9. mpot

mpot

Thanks for the pic's, Bob. Those look great, just what I'm looking for. Nice knowing that someone I can trust has used them before and that they fit.

10. 35cab

35cab

I used Rock Valley shortened rear brackets on my 35 , good price (even including shipping to Scotland) easy to fit and very fast and friendly service. ford_v8_02-780x563.jpg pendine.jpg

timwhit likes this.