Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rusted Frame - What media?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JMel, Feb 25, 2015.

1. JMel

JMel

Need to do a bit of rust removal on a set of 32 rails. Just surface rust, but thick enough to where I don't think sitting there with sanding disks will be best use of my time.

I think i can get my hands on a media blaster, but have no idea what the best media to use is for it. Any suggestions? This is only going to be used on frame, axles, and wish bones....and maybe to take some paint off some old wheels.

Any suggestions?

2. 19-c

19-c

black sand. Have you checked around with blasters in your area? I know I can't buy the sand and mess with it for what they charge me here. I think I paid $50-75 to get my 32 frame done Oh yeah Sand Blasters like cash remember that when you talk to them! haha:D

3. I've used black diamond and home depot play sand.The depot sand doesn't have silica.I don't have a good cabinet yet so I do it outside screen and reuse.

4. aaggie

aaggie

Check locally and get an estimate from a blasting service. The pro will have the correct media for the job and the mess will be at his shop not yours.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

X2 on what aaggie said.

6. JMel

JMel

Good point fellas...i'll check around. Hell, I'd probably spend $100 on media myself anyway, right?

7. 19-c

19-c

Yeah and end up with blasting media in every orifice in your body. haha its not a lot of fun and it takes a lot of media to do objects like frames and tubing. Then you have the mess afterwards. I learned the hard way

8. I just use fine sand,it never fails to do the job but you need to protect your lungs,,,use a respirator! HRP

9. Some grave stone making guys will do a frame or other parts for a cheap price . They use really fine sand . Is rockwall having the oil boom ? If so there will be portable blasting guys who are having a slow down right now , like out here in west Texas , and would love the work . Good luck .

10. Not to mention every inch of your shop will be covered with sand and dust.

11. JMel

JMel

Found a company that'll do it for $100-150. I figured it'd cost me a good $75 in media to do it myself, and still be a pain in the ass. Frame has already been dropped off...hoping to pick it up tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks for the input everybody. This is for a 31 coupe on deuce rails I picked up a few months ago. I'll be starting a build thread soon. Been in the part collecting phase lately, but am about out of money...so its time to start putting together what I have.

12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I wanted my brand new steel wheels blasted , they were bare steel and had no rust but the metal was smooth and I wanted to rough them up for paint. First shop quote was $100, second shop was $25, Pays to shop around. Second shop charges $70 an hr and figures my frame would be 1 hr.

13. Any chance you could take it off with phosphoric acid?

Charlie Stephens

14. 19-c

19-c

Like I said, I have always had good luck with CASH when it comes to sand blast guys! You might be surprised how quick the reasonable they can do it. ;)

15. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Ha!I was recently quoted $50 to do a Windsor inlet manifold,you guys are so lucky ,Gaz!

16. Only a insane man would sandblast in his shop!,,,,,I do all my sand blasting outdoors. HRP

[​IMG]