Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering wheel in my 50 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by vwdave30, Feb 23, 2015.

1. vwdave30

vwdave30

So ive tried to convince myself that i like the steering wheel in my 50 and i just cant do it. It has a 51 wheel in it. I have a cherry 46-48 chrysler wheel. I tried it on a 50 column i have and it seems to fit. What yall think?

Attached Files:

2. I never liked the '51 wheel. Like the '49-'50 wheel better. If the Chrysler wheel has the same splines and you can get the horn, turn signal cancel, etc. to work, go for it. I always liked a '55 Ford (Customline and Fairlane) wheel.

3. vwdave30

vwdave30

Here is a close up pic of the horn button

Attached Files:

4. The Chrysler wheel looks good enough but I'd just put the 50 wheel on?? If you have one.

5. I'm with you.
    Never did like that 51 wheel. My 49 wheel is white (someone painted it) and I wouldn't consider swapping it out. But might consider it on a 51 - unless the overriding thought is keeping an "original" feel.
    Your Chrysler wheel would look good I'd say.
    Post us a pic if you swap it...

6. vwdave30

vwdave30

I need to change out my steering box mine is wore out pretty bad. I have another good steering box so thats what got me to thinkin about a new wheel. Ill be sure to post some pics when i change it out.

7. U-235

U-235

I have a 51.....anything over the original would be an improvement....I'll be replacing mine with a 55 Merc Deluxe.

8. Well it's all personal taste. I don't care for the 49-50 but like the 51 and the 51 dash. Not crazy about the 49-50 dash. I used a 51 wheel and dash.

9. I guess it's personal preference,just like the cars we drive,I really like the 51 steering wheel. HRP

10. I just found a pic. I got rid of the horn ring which was broken anyway. Used j-b weld to fill where it needed. 003.JPG

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  11. vwdave30

vwdave30

If my wheel looked like yours i would keep it but my wheel is all crusty just like the rest of my interior. I need at least one thing in my car that aint cracked and broke lol

12. My wheel was junk to so i fixed it as an experiment. Turned out so nice i used it. The plastic on mine was so cracked you could rock the plastic back and forth in spots. Don't throw it away...use it. I'm on a budget to.

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Change it. I don't like the '51 wheel and the Chrysler wheel is a beauty.

14. vwdave30

vwdave30

Dont worry i wont throw the 51 wheel away imma hoarder lol i did try to fix a 49 wheel i got but i figured out i am good at makin a mess and not so good at restoring a steering wheel

15. Just v out the cracks, fill with j-b weld or equivalent, sand the filler the next day, add more if you need to. .Takes time but not difficult. Start sanding with 220, finish with 320, spray some filler primer, sand primer with 400, sealer and paint. Should take about a week lol. But you will be surprised how it turns out.

16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've done that, too, only i used epoxy paint. worked great!

17. hbwoody

hbwoody

18. billsat

billsat

Ford peed on their own shoes when they came up with the '51 steering wheel. I'd go with the Chrysler wheel in a heart beat.

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my younger years, the "fluid drive" would have aptly applied (hiccup).

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like the Chrysler wheel. I want a Ford Victoria steering wheel, but don't have '850 bucks to spend on it. Next time I hit the lotto, I will get one. My '46 wheel in my '32 Highboy was repaired and looks fine. You can do it.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This '51 wheel looks very good with its dash. Very neat.

22. vwdave30

vwdave30

Is your wheel a meteor wheel?

23. Yes it is but the only difference is the horn applique with the star.

24. vwdave30

vwdave30

Got new steering box and wheel in it

Attached Files:

dlandberg likes this.