Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Transport from Denver to Detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S2X01, Feb 23, 2015.

1. S2X01

S2X01

Hey guys...
    I'm posting this WAY ahead of time, trying to figure a few things out, and get some other opinions.
    A couple of my buddies and I are planning to get our Buicks back to Flint for a long weekend in August of 2016. We're planning to stay in Flint during the Back to the Bricks festivities, and hopefully for Woodward (if they overlap again that year)

Transport is becoming my concern right now. Ideally, I'd like to find a member near us out here( who transports), that might want to make the trip for the shows too. I know it's a long shot, but maybe there's a member here who hauls, and thinks this could be a fun/worthwhile trip. Otherwise the logistics of it could get hairy, to say the least. And it ultimately might be cheaper for us to just drive.

I dunno...just thinking out loud here right now, hoping someone else might have some insight or interest.

2. Just drive your cars,transporting can be iffy and expensive.

Having someone that cares as much about your car as you do is not going to be cheap. HRP

3. S2X01

S2X01

True. All of my quotes so far have been pretty astronomical.
    As far as iffy....1400 miles and almost 5,000 feet of elevation on 50 year old cars is iffy too.
    I'll keep digging!!

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

A roadtrip like that can be one of the better life experiences that you can have. Service it up, and hit the driveway like you stole it.!

5. S2X01

S2X01

That's kind of what I'm thinking too.
    However....if gas happens to jump back to $4 a gallon.... oof.
    Still cheaper though. Plus blasting through Nebraska and Iowa could be a hoot.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you wanna enjoy your car, it should not make any difference if gas is $1.59 a gallon...or $4.00 a gallon...last summer my bro and I went on a 4,000 mile trip to Canada and back,...and took just about every two lane road/highway we could find...and we had a blast...if you'd like to read about it, go here:
    http://www.rodauthority.com/features/2nd-western-canada-power-cruise-wettest-road-trip-ever/

And as far as "blasting" thru Nebraska...IF you're running green and white ColoRODo plates, you' d best keep your foot out of it as Nebraska Highway Patrol likes to pull you over and search your car for pot...Kansas and Utah too...besides, all those other states think all of us that live here are potheads...

R-

7. S2X01

S2X01

Gah! I forgot about that stigma....

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

When you hit Flint, hit me up......I'm just south.

9. S2X01

S2X01

Definitely! I'm actually originally from Flint. My buddies have never been though.
    My brother lives down in Sterling Heights. If it saves money, we might just unload there, and then cruise Dixie back up.

10. Not as many miles as Roger but we racked up 2,251 miles on the 1954 Ford Ranch Wagon driving to Novi,Michigan and back.

Driving these old cars is the best part of the journey! HRP

11. S2X01

S2X01

I just worry about catastrophic failures in the middle of nowhere...

12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Road trips are the best way to find the weakest link on a car. Point in the direction, foot on gas, and worry about things breaking when they do. Sometimes that is the best part of the trip, a unplanned stop.

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you can't fix your car on the side of the road, stay home...!!!

R-

14. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

AAA AND CREDIT CARD
    THE BREAK DOWNS MAKES IT A REAL TRIP

15. I find that if you take enough long road trips, you can tell just by listening if the sound coming from your ride is expensive and needs immediate attention or if it's minor and you'll fix it when you get a chance. By the way, with me it usually ends up being the former!