Register now to get rid of these ads!

wood steering wheel ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redvetracr, Dec 13, 2011.

1. redvetracr

redvetracr
    from WI

Does this steering wheel look familiar? can anyone please tell me who manufactured it? It`s real wood about 16" across and about 5.5" deep. It was bought at a Von Esser Chicago area swap meet in the late 60`s....any help greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I found this one and if you look closely at the middle spoke there is a Moon eyes medallion at the bottom of the spoke. I always thought that it was an early Moon wheel but I guess it could be a hatpin added on by a hotrodder. I particularly liked this one. It's from the late 60s to early 70s IMO. I found it used in the 90s. I've never seen another one like it. I think it was a high buck wheel when it was made. The cheapo's had the wood riveted on and fewer spoke holes IIRC..

OOPS!! I just recounted the holes. Yours has 6 and mine only 5 but I do think it is a high end wheel.

3. BJR

BJR

Superior 500?

4. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I know this is an old post but;

Tommy,
    I just traded for the exact same wheel you have. The dish is about 5 1/2", 5 holes in the spokes and mine also has the same Mooneyes decal/sticker. Only mine was placed on the backside of one of the spokes.

An extremely cool, period correct wheel for my '63 but, I especially love the darker rosewood (?) rim. Very high quality wood. It is also thinner than most of the aftermarket Grant (?) wheels where the rim feels/looks double the size it should be.

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wheel pictured ,is a high end Moon one I believe. If you look in Moriarity's albums at his drag boat; I think you will see the same style on it. Most Moon wheels were made by Covico; I don't think this one was.

6. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Cool, I think I will hang on to this one! I will post a pic of mine installed after I get my car out of the shop. I am having A/C installed so the family will be comfortable when we drive it to Rhode Island this July.

I would still love to find out any more info at all.

7. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Ok, I went and checked Moriarity's albums and it looks like the exact same wheel.

Man! He has some cool stuff!. The Atomic lawn mower was killer.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

These wheels were made for moon by Speedwell. They made steering wheels for sports cars .
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424734867.767800.jpg

bowie likes this.
  9. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

The medallion/sticker/emblem on my wheel looks exactly like that the one pictured, only it is on the back of one of the spokes. I took my knife to the edge and it almost feels like it is embedded.

Plus, all the wheels I have seen (in pics) appear to have satin or brushed spokes, my spokes are chrome.