Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to choose between a 28,29 or 30,31 model a roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by orangeamcs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

So their is a flash sale on that auction site for Brookville bodies. Being that I have recently been working like crazy with all the winter weather we have had on the east coast I may indulge in a new body. I have another thread were I made a introduction of my current project which is/was going to be build a complete traditional av8 roller and pull the body off my fendered 29 banger roadster and install it on the av8 chassis. The more I build on the av8 chassis I keep thinking I should just get another body build a fenderless car and leave my current 29 alone and keep it as a banger So this bring the question about differences in the two body choices I have with Brookville.

Now I know I should be buying a body based on what I really like visually (I like both) but I figured I would ask the experts here about things such as interior room (I am 6'4") and possible resale (for when funds allow for a 32, 33, or 34). Common sense tell me to buy a 30,31 since I have a 29 and I love the look of the 29 but....Anything else I should base my decision on?????

This would be easier if a nice original body showed local and reasonable then I would buy what was in front of me.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. many people like the look of the cowl bottom and gas tank line on the 28-29.

clem likes this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If I did a roadster it would be a 29 on model a frame with a full hood and painted stock grille shell.. Black of course...

117harv and primeisnotacrime like this.
  4. If I already had a 29 I would build another 29 on the 32 frame as kinda like the same car but later in it's life span.

5. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't the interior of the '30-'31 a hair larger?

6. xix32

xix32

You may not fit in either one of them. but you can't hardly beat the way this `28 looks.
    [​IMG]

7. I gotta admit that I prefer the 28/29's the best! HRP

8. More room in a '30/'31. You're a big guy should be a no brainer.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. If I didn't have my heart set on a 28-29, and I was a big as you are I'd buy a 30-31. BUT! If I had a little jingle in my pocket I'd forget all about model A stuff [you already have one, remember?] and zip right up to the top of my bucket list...get a 32-34 now. They're getting more expensive every day. I have zero regrets about buying mine, even though I started with a piece-a-shit stock car body and only ended up using the top. At least I got busy building my "heart's desire"...after all, will you die before you get your 32-34? Who knows? Jump on it now while you have a little money to get started. Just sayin.

lothiandon1940, Malcolm and belair like this.
  10. Seems if you look into history on the dry lakes and Bonneville, post-war, most of the preferred A's were '28-'29's with a '32 grill shell. Nothing against '30-'31's, just an observation.

11. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm 6'3" and fit into a T roadster with a few adjustments to the column, seat riser, and thinner cushions. Tried on a 29 AV8 a pal had at the local swap meet recently; seat is basically stock - I fit okay...if it were mine, I'd prefer thinner cushions and a longer column, but I could drive it as-is.

jmiller1918 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I fit in my 29 ok. At this point in my life I've come to accept that I'm going to have to fold limbs. This body will be going on my model a chassis. I do like the look of a 29 on 32 rails but I'm using the a chassis Im already working on.

If I was going to do a 32 chassis I'd just buy a 32 body. I sat a friends stock 32 roadster a few months ago and still can't get the chills and pains of the fever/sickness it gave me. Besides it's a much bigger car inside than my 29. This friend has a collection and plays this game with me to see what I fit in.

After this av8 it will be a 32 for sure.

Tell me more about the 30 31 being bigger. May need to go find one to sit jn. I know I can modify the seat and floor but I'm a stickler for trying to keep the original flavor a car was built with.

13. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

31 on 32 rails is best for me
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424730912.177248.jpg

falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  14. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Mines 29 with 32 rails image.jpg image.jpg

15. Comes down to what look you like, then the fit. Like Patrick said, the elegance of the earlier cowl and windshield have appeal, do cost a bit in foot room. The later come close to the look of a '32, and for years on here Jay Carnine (rip) would remind us with actual measurements that the '30-1 was within fractions of the '32 for passenger compartment dimensions. IIRC the door opening is a bit wider on the later one. Seat placement and column angle/length can be tweaked on either, but foot space is going to be less in the earlier given all other choices being the same.
    View and choose........................ 022.JPG 29 hiboy 3.jpg

16. Stock frame hiboy?

28 miller banger 02.jpg banger roadster 01 (2).jpg

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. mike bowling

mike bowling

I only build 30-31 ( personal preference, cleaner lines), but I've seen some killer 28-9's too. I'd channel a '31 on a stock A frame and save some dough.Putting in an 8? Make your own center crossmember and save more dough.Make everything you can,save TONS of dough and then you can have 2 ( or more) cars. One open, one closed ( one broken?). Simple-Let's get started, shall we?

bondojunkie likes this.
  18. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Uncle Bob that's a great photo comparison

19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Before you spend any money I would try to find someone who owns one and ask to sit in the car. You state that you are 6'4", well I am 5'9' and it is very tight in my '29 coupe. Don't build something you will regret.

20. brady1929

brady1929

I have a 30 roadster but would love a 28/29

21. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I am 6'4" 185lbs I fit in my 29 roadster so I know ill fit in a 29 or 3 but if a 30 has a little more room ( has been said close to that of a 32) I may go that way.

Besides If a friend says what car are we taking I can say the 29 and not get a dumb look.

22. oldsman41

oldsman41

your money, I have done all of them at least once and love them all. I guess I like the 31 best with the 28 coming in next. kind of like the others said if you are tall you will like the 30 31 a little better I think.

23. pitman

pitman

If you take out the rear package tray in a '30-31, the seats can extend rearward. I've built both coupe and roadster in the late A's, figured they were the last of the carriages, before the '32 streamline era. Just food for thought, in that Doug Juonis has a '31 roadster on '32 rails, and being as picky as Doug can be, the doors are lengthened, (~2") mounted flush, and open suicide style! Uncle Bob's lower image of the black '30 would be close in appearance. If you can, keep a stock firewall and most of the floor/trans cover area, so you've got footroom.

24. Its a coin toss for me...love all of them.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The year of body style, should match the style of the build. If you are going with a early Banger build, I would go 28/29.
    Hi-boy, 28/29. Channeled 30-31.
    Late era build with Chevy, I would go 30-31.
    If you are going dry lake look 28-29, with hood. Street driven 28/29 on 32 rails is always a good match.

There was a lot of 29 on 32 AV8 going down at one point, rumor has it a 32 fordors hadro be relieved of there body to give room to any roadster body, or it would be a hard sell.

And to me the 30-31 cowl flows better. So I would go 30/31 body b

26. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

the 28/9 cowl on a 32 frame is a thing of beauty.

jmiller1918 likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I have a '30 Roadster project and my Dad's stock '31, I've always liked the looks of the 30-31. I think the 30-31 just flows better, look at the two photos above. The 28-29 has that cowl that is lets say unique, then the flat belt moulding in the door, a bit of it in the quarter then it branched off into to rolled beads, a 30-31 just has a better belt moulding IMO. The distance from the back of the door to the rear wheel well looks a foot longer on a 28-29. The cost of the bild would be the same, just be sure you start out with what you want when it is finished. Bob

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Have you read the fine print on those flash sale bodies? Seems a little fishy...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky makes a very good argument. Life is short, then you die. Build your dream ride, THEN die.

30. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I prefer the look of the 30-31 over the 28-29, but I am probably in the minority