Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical another Buick drop springs thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bet on black, Feb 10, 2015.

1. bet on black

bet on black

so everybody knows about the 1978 el camino rears. i was given some springs with my Buick that were claimed to be elky springs, but i think somebody was misinformed. anyways, i'm going to pick up some new rear elky springs from NAPA then that brings me to the front.

my car came with NO springs in it, as it was a project car when purchased. otherwise i would try the trimming the stock springs approach that most with early 50's buicks use.

after some research, i ended up installing some f-body moog springs part # 5662 but they just wouldn't compress enough to get the lower a-arms bolted back up. i tried using a spring compressor and a floor jack, but just couldn't get them in, so i cut a coil off after fighting with it for an hour. that was too much to cut off. the car is looooow. too low to really drive it around.

i think i'm going to try a different moog springs. this site breaks down the differences in these springs nicely:
    http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

i'm not sure which way i'm going yet, but considering trying the 5658 and see where she sits and then consider trimming 1/2 to 1 coil off if needed to get it down just right.

what do yall experts think?

before anybody says jamco, i can get these moogs' from amazon for just over $60 with free shipping.

2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Since I am the only one who does not know about the 1978 el camino rear end , please enlighten me

3. bet on black

bet on black

The rear springs from a 1978 el camino bolt up on many of the 50's buicks for about a 3" drop

4. bet on black

bet on black

the 5658 springs came today for the front, hopefully i'll get some time to put them on soon.

5. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

I know nothing about El Caminos, are they all the same for 78? Are there variations? would the rear springs from any El Camino made in 78 fit a 58 Buick? I'm trying to drop the back on 58 Buick Special by 3"

6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hot4rods,

Go to your local parts store. They should have a book with dimensions and you can compare the various springs. Or do a search here on HAMB, there have been a lot of discussions on Buick spring conversions.

7. bet on black

bet on black

I ordered some acdelco brand for a 1978 el camino. They're a progressive rate spring with pigtails. The car is on stands in the garage, hope to get the springs in this week. Will report back with pics and measurements and part numbers when done.

8. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

Oh, if only it were that simple. I live in the U.K, most of the few places that sell (imported) stuff for american cars are pretty useless and give little results when it comes to 58 Buicks.

Arabie777 likes this.
  9. bet on black

bet on black

fyi, i ordered my springs from amazon.com

10. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

Sorry that was my reply to fat47' but that's interesting to know regarding Amazon. Would these - http://www.opgi.com/el-camino/TRW6321/ be the correct springs to fit a 58 and lower it 3"? Just checked the springs on Amazon, they don't ship to the U.K. Will be very interested in the outcome of your springs when you've fitted them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  11. You could just get yourself some rubbers like they use on a roundy round and poke them in on top of the spring. They are cheap and easy to come by.

That said if you can buy a spring that is perfect then go for it.

12. ROOFGOOF

ROOFGOOF

Any updates? Im ready to drop mine front and rear.....

Attached Files:

13. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

Updates please, how did the Springs work out?

14. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

Is that yours there? The green one? Looks real nice. Love the colour.

15. LONG

LONG

I have some stock springs out of a 50 and my 52. I bagged mine.

16. Any updates @bet on black regarding your front springs??? I'm curious what results you had.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  17. bet on black

bet on black

I should have time tomorrow to finish up the spring install. I was waiting for a fuel sender float (mine doesn't anymore) before I set the car back down off the jack stands but I'm getting impatient on that one.

18. bet on black

bet on black

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427774980.780922.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427775066.488850.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427775082.825795.jpg

Got the springs in finally! It has a nice tail draggin' stance right now. Needs skirts and lake pipes now.

On the front it is about 15" from the center of the hub to the fender lip. On the back it is 5".

19. Nice! Any idea how much drop you got on the front?

20. bet on black

bet on black

I couldn't say. I bought the car with no springs in it