Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration CARtoons Magazine Coming Back to Print!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CARtoons Magazine, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Marc,
    I for one will be contacting you folks. Hope there is room for a kid from Nebraska with a little experience with cartooning, be it from a slightly different angle. The Magazine went off line just before I went to CalArts in '89 but I was monkeying around with a few 'toons' I'd planned to submit to you guys. Figured I'd have no chance against the heavy hitters of the day. Maybe I should start conceiving of some more ideas!
    Great news for the day, hope this dream becomes a reality!

Mark

(from an old HAMB art challenge)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nice artwork Jugger

Jigger likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

4. Thanks guys, I'm just greasing' the wheels a little bit...
    Wettin' the whistle, so to speak... (reference to "Jigger")
    (Juggler, he-he-he-he, I like that)

I got yer 'Jugger' - - - right here...

[​IMG]

(Sorry I hi-jacked your thread Marc... ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    55 Ford Gasser and Merlin like this.
  5. 46stude

46stude

CARtoons didn't care. They did automotive humor, in all genres. The mag won't be under strict HAMB types guidelines, I'm sure, otherwise it'll fail. So some of you need to get out of your "that's not a hot rod" mentality & support what looks to be a promising endeavor!

I'll buy it, so long as it's as entertaining as it was back in the day.

metal man and 41 mopar like this.
  6. Very cool! I love this stuff.

7. I agree 46stude. Actually The whole idea behind good comedy is good satire. The ricers with wings and dope lowrider, Donk ass Cadillacs and Old 88s are prime for some great humor. If handled properly, those kind of guys, who like to spar off on one another, might actually be some of the staple subscribers. Then you have an opportunity to pull the hobbies together a little and give enthusiasts and would be auto artists a great platform. Maybe even give 'em an education. It may be necessary for success as the 70's cars and below generation are getting on in age.

8. Ok.....read the replies....looked at some old ones....I'm in...had some mini truck and vans in em....loved em then...good luck...I'll buy it!

9. RamJet1

RamJet1

I do remember an issue that I had as a kid where two kids test-drove a Ferrari with one of them dressed up to be the other's father. Gotta have a full mix of auto enthusiasts to pick on.
    I'll be looking forward to this one! Best of luck with your endeavor.

Jigger likes this.
  10. i think i will dig out my copy of issue #1 and read it again

[​IMG]

11. Great! Best of luck to you.

12. Who said anything about HAMB standards? I said that it should try to have Trosley and the same type of stuff it had when it was in its heyday.

I'm not into imports, not into mini trucks. I like power. Hot rods, muscle cars, the like. If you look at my old collection of the originals, it is missing the issues with anything "ricer". Its not my mag, not my idea, but I am a gearhead consumer. To go into it blindly without research hitting a target audience will insure swift failure.

How many of you rodders are buying magazines like Tuner? Most arent. Think there might be a reason there arent a lot of huge crossover magazines?

Cartoons just arent what they used to be (actual cartoons, not the name brand) popularity-wise. Comic sales will show that. Spiderman, X-men, anime arent exactly Archie and Jughead. I'm NOT saying I'm right, but I am saying the ONLY chance for success is to find that target audience. I just dont happen to think that audience is guys that werent around when CARtoons was strong. Guys that remember it, will go for it, guys that havent a clue of what it was, may not spot it in a magazine rack with 300 other magazines.

Curious if any threads like this were posted on any Tuner sites? Why not?

Mark A likes this.
  13. metal man

metal man

I remember when I was a teen in the 80's buying them, they made fun of everything, and I liked it that way. I specifically remember one whole section , probably two or three pages , titled "I hate 280z's " or something like that. I don't see any reason for it to exclude modern cars just because the HAMB does, haha. We like to make fun of ricers, so why not enjoy the magazine making fun of them?
    I will buy a subscription, if nothing else, for nostalgia sake. I hope to see them pick on ricers, 4x4's, old guys, young guys, roadster guys, corvette guys, and whatever else, just like they always did. Most importantly, I look forward to Krass & Bernie.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Fif-t-3 and Jigger like this.
  14. Good luck with this I will be watching for it!

15. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Great news! I used to really enjoy CARtoons Magazine. :)

The one that really sticks in my mind was a couple of guys had an engine completely torn torn down and one guy is holding a set of points and is saying to the other guy, "I found the problem, burnt points." That was hilarious! I recollect my brother and I really getting a big laugh over that. :)

Best of luck!

16. Mark (Jigger), YOU would be a great artist for the magazine.
    Me personally would not object if there was SOME later model Domestic and Imports in the mag.; just want Cartoons to be a success. The mag. should cross lines to all generations of Hot Rodders, young and old, to get ultimate attention.
    I guess you have to do your homework to find out what works.

Jigger likes this.
  17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I think a nice mix of classic hot rods 50s sleds Muscle Cars along with some modern classics such as the C5 and C6 Vettes Z06 and ZR1 Vettes, Shelbys, Vipers and the Hellcats. The mix may be fun and bring on some of today's car guys.

Jigger likes this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WONDER WARTHOG! HELL YEAH!! (from a google image search)
    [​IMG]

19. abone1930

abone1930

to cool, I need a subscription when you have it ready

20. 46stude

46stude

Then you agree w me- it shouldn't be in a little "box" of automotive topics.

I am a former reader of CARtoons. Mini trucks, 4x4s, muscle cars, street rods, VWs, lowriders, etc etc etc. They would have had ricer humor in it, had the mag not folded up before FWDs became mainstream.

The HAMB guideline comment was an example. CARtoons won't work again if they exclude some auto humor just because some guys "don't get it". The car hobby ain't paint by numbers, to paraphrase another member. Think about it, brother.

Jigger likes this.
  21. Too bad that Pete Millar has gone on to the drawing board in the sky,,,He was tops in my eyes

AHotRod and Jigger like this.
  22. Cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Gosh I miss Ascott raceway with Bill yelling whoa Nelly ther gos anothr one ! Saw Evil Kneviel there in 66 great park

24. models916

models916

Find your audience and then try for the advertisers. You better have deep pockets to get this on a roll. I can see a start-up digital to figure it all out. I'd like to see it happen.

25. For the most part, yes I agree, because I never said it had to be just rods. However, if you remember,,,,,, CARtoons would have "pointed" issues. One would be 90% van issue, or 90% Vette issue, I'm merely saying a 90% ricer issue would PROBABLY not be as big of a popular issue. I don't see "kid ricer" even knowing what CARtoons (or caring) is, and older guys often wont "get" the ricer mentality. Thats why ricer mags dont feature muscle and muscle car mags dont feature tuners.

HAMB works because it has a target audience. Even rat rod sites/magazines hit their targets. "Think about it brother".

26. HA they could do a HAMB issue making fun of the period correct issues. :)

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

or making fun of HAMB Royalty! Now, that would be classic :D

28. If a 90% issue delt with Ricers or European 'Sports Sedans' or any other contemporary subject, it would be a BLAST to be part of the artist/writer staff. Oh my gosh man, can you imagine a parody of the Fast and Furious franchise? It would be golden! A "National Lampoon" style graphic novel style mockery of that is among the many ways you hammer on it and gain those fans at the same time. If CARtoons® stick to the way they did it int he past, it will be, er, 'driven' by car nuts interested in entertaining car nuts and creating new car nuts. To me, the renewed goal aught to be to create car nuts out of people who didn't know they were car nuts. In short, it should be nutty!

metal man and dana barlow like this.
  29. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

I'm in for a subscription. My mom was pissed at all iron on's she had to do for me!

30. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Em
    Email me at [email protected]
    Thanks.

dana barlow likes this.