Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 58 Buick lowered springs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by hot4hotrods, Feb 22, 2015.

1. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

Hi, has anybody on here put lowered springs on a 58 Buick? If so, where did you get them from? I know Jamco sell some, but the order form on their website doesn't work, and they refuse to answer any emails. I have read nothing but complaints regarding their customer service so would rather avoid them altogether.

2. Back before 1-800 numbers we use to pull the springs out and cut a coil. HRP

302GMC likes this.
  3. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

You can't cut the rear springs on the 58 Buick as they are narrower at each end. Otherwise I'd do that. Unfortunately, I only want to lower the rear. I can't afford an airbag set up at the moment either.

4. That's exactly what we did with my '58 Roadmaster in '69. If you leave your car at rest and crawl under it with a tape measure you can even get a pretty good idea how much it will drop by cutting a coil. I have cut too many and have found that 1 to 1 1/2 is about as far as I ever need to go.

Uh yes you can. You will have to be creative.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

5. pcialone

pcialone

Dayton Auto Spring made me a set of springs to the front of my 1956 2" lower and 25% stiffer and a perfect fit.

Attached Files:

6. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Nice. What is the www for that spring company? I cant find them when i google. Do ya got the phone number? Thanks.

7. Check coil spring specialties

cool57 likes this.
  8. lowrd

lowrd

Have you tried eaton springs site? If I remember correctly,there is even a chart with diameters and freelength v compressed length available too.

9. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

10. 'Mo

'Mo

It seems a lot of early Buick guys use '78 El Camino springs. From your link, it appears that all early Buicks use the same spring. You might dig around for more info. (It would be a LOT cheaper than your link.) Here's one thread to get you started. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1952-buick-drop-with-el-camino-springs.715281/

And another. http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/another-buick-drop-springs-thread.962940/

11. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

Thanks for the info, didn't know about the El Camino springs, you learn a new thing every day. So am I right in thinking stock El Camino springs give a 3" drop on a buick? I'm wondering if there are variations on the 1978 El Camino, or if any El Camino springs from that year will work. I live in the U.K so if I order some springs from the states i want to be sure to get it right first time.

12. Does anyone know if the springs on the 40 Buick are the same as the other years. From what I can find it the info on this only goes back to 46.

13. vwdave30

vwdave30

So im guessing the el camino springs are just for the back? What are you doing to lower the front? Cutting the springs?

14. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

I only want to lower the rear end, tail dragger style.

15. slammed

slammed

So you are looking for rear coils dropped 3"?

16. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

58 buicks had rear coils? We had a custom 58 years ago that had leaf springs with some big ol 3.5" lowering blocks. I guess that thing sat on a different frame... Cant remember [​IMG]

17. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

18. vwdave30

vwdave30

Okie doke i was askin about the front cause i got a buddy with a buick was wonderin if there was a cheap spring to lower the front too

19. slammed

slammed

Right, give or take a bit of the overall settling once installed & weight is applied. If you still have your factory coils, see if the ends are straight away even to one another. You can snip 1 whole wrap for a 2"ish drop. Take a 1/2 wrap from top & bottom of coil for another 1" drop. I removed 2 wraps from a similar GM 'X' framed coil sprung car for a solid 4" drop.

caseywheels likes this.
  20. 41fastback

41fastback

21. thecrazed(k)666

thecrazed(k)666

wich spring gives a lower drop JEEP OR EL CO.....and what year jeep ??....3 inch drop doesnt do much on early buick....my 50 measured 12 at center of rocker with worn og stock springs

22. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

23. 'Mo

'Mo

Much more drop than that.
    The back end of that Buick weighs tons more (well, almost) than the little Elky bed.
    Throw 800 pounds in that bed and see what the springs measure!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  24. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

Ahh yeah, I see your point. But these are 78 Camino springs, the ones everybody says will make the buick sit 3" lower, i'm guessing if it goes any lower than that it can cause problems? As an El Camino is essentially a pick up bed, would the rear springs be stiffer to compensate for the extra weight that the vehicle may carry, depending what people throw in the bed from time to time? So if that being the case, they may deal fine with the extra weight of the ass end of the buick.

25. 58special

58special

Great info guys, thanks. I was thinking of a full air bag kit but I will try this first. What year and model are the jeep springs?