Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone put tinted 2k clear on powder coat chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by martinautobody1, Feb 20, 2015.

1. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

I

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Powdercoat chrome looks great, but must be cleared for durability. Then the clear kills the shine, looks like silver paint. The angel gilding guys use a blue or purple tinted 2k clear. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with it over chrome powder coated parts, or even over polished aluminum. I would like to at least get an polished aluminum look out of the finish

3. You use a candy powder over chrome powder. Prismatic has hundreds of colors.

4. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Well, I don't really want candy colored parts, people tint 2k clear just enough to kill the milky look the clear gives over polished metal

5. your clear paint will work for a while but there's no mechanical bond so after time it can delaminat.

6. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

I understand delaminate potential, question is, has anyone experimented with the LOOK of slightly tinted 2k clear coat over polished metal or chrome powder coat to eliminate milky appearance.

7. fadt

fadt
    from England

Not tried that idea but did consider it a while ago.
    I had my 350 case done in chrome and then clear. got the milky colour you mention, so we redid it in chrome and left it at that. I then give it a quick wipe over with 3m Hand glaze.
    My brain tells me that a very light blue tint would help with the chrome look as it always has a blueish shine when plated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

What about a high-temp ceramic coating, would that be more durable?

9. I own a powder coat shop. High temp ceramic coat would be more durable. We use NIC ceramics, the problem with the NIC Chromex is you have to polish it after it cures out. It ends up a greenish/gray color after it cures. You have to take "0000" steel wool and a mag wheel polish or good metal polish to get it to look like chrome. Problem with the chrome powder that we use it is a single stage requiring no clear coat and it is the least durable powder we apply. We rarely shoot it unless a customer really begs us to use it! We did a set of valve covers in the Chromex ceramic coat and the customer polished it out, it looked fairly close to chrome after he buffed them out!

10. You can apply automotive grade clears over powder coats. We tried it with the NIC chrome powder coat we use in the shop here and it turn out a purplish tint when it dried. Every manufacture is different in what formulas they use in their powders. If I was going to clear coat chrome or any polished metal I would use Eastwoods "Diamond Clear". We've used it several times over chrome and polished aluminum with good results, no milky appearance. I believe you can also get the Diamond coat in pints and quarts if you want it tinted.

11. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Yeah, I did some parts in chrome powder, and they looked amazing, but tarnished quickly. Is the ceramic coating easier to polish than aluminum? I have an lt1 I want to brighten up the intake, heads, water pump and brackets.