Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A/C compressor for early 331 Cadillac?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrenchin hobo, Feb 14, 2015.

1. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

So, I have a 49 S&S Ambulance that I purchased from a HAMBr and have taken the past year to get paperwork and little things done to put her on the roads of Houston. I'll be asking loads of questions as I've never had an opportunity to own an early Cadillac such as this before. Thanks to everyone who volunteers their wealth of knowledge, I truly appreciate it.
    Is there an a/c compressor setup that'll bolt up to the old 331? If so what do I look for to make sure I'm not wasting my money. I don't mind paying to get one rebuilt, but I figure if there's none that will fit I guess I'll build a setup like some of the EV guys build. The Houston heat and traffic is just a bit too brutal on the wife and kids for going without.

I'm sure many of you will recognize my old girl...here she is in the Wisconsin snow before her long trip south.

Attached Files:

2. What a great looking Caddy wagon. Hope you have success getting A/C installed in her, soon.

wrenchin hobo likes this.
  3. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

Thank you, I'm afraid the a/c is just in planning stages. So it may be a long while before it's complete and running.

4. My Series 62 doesn't have A/C either. It's gonna be a warm summer when I'm driving her.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

find the factory A/C bracketry off a leter 365/390. it should bolt on to the the 331 the same. Old Air makes what's advertised as a bolt on replacment compressor for the orginals. I've not used one yet, but I understand from a friend that has there's some tweaking necessary to bracketry to get everything to work but it does work.

6. Having owned one of those (later model, however), I would strongly suggest a twin-air system, one for the front and one for the rear. Cadillac themselves used twin-air systems in their 9 passenger and limousines for years, using one compressor and a 'T' in the lines, a couple diodes so that either system could be on or off and not affect the other. These cars are just too large for a single system to adequately cool them. A plus if yours has a divider window, you could ignore the above, unless someone plans on riding back there.

Cosmo

P.S. A divider window is very kid-friendly. Well, friendly on the parents, if you understand...

7. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

Lol, thanks for the help. I wish this thing had a divider, but unfortunately I'll have to hear all the crying unfiltered.

So there seems to be a couple ways to go. Looks like I have a bit of direction now.

8. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

Guys, what engine oil and filter are you using in your cars? I see that fram makes a filter and I'd like to stick to a high zinc oil, but I'm at a loss as to which to use.

9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

20W50 weight. just put the addative in it

10. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

No kidding, 50 weight?

Guess I've gotten used to this lightweight new stuff.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Use Rotella 5W40...it has zinc in it yet and you'll need that in your engine...it's labeled as Diesel oil but disregard that...available at Wal-Mart...I use it in my '55 and my bro uses it in his '54...

Nice looking ambulance btw...

R-

12. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Especially on a old (not rebuilt) motor. I

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, that's what my bro uses in his oil canister...

R-

15. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

I think I should probably stick to a 40 weight. I know the engine was rebuilt. The previous owner was telling me about it. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on the oil pressure.