Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Driveline angles......again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vet57air, Feb 22, 2015.

1. I'd like to throw another one into this mix.
    My car is lowered, engine and trans. run 4 degrees down hill, and I utilize a CV joint ( double carden) joint at the front u joint
    Of course my rear end sits higher than the transmission and engine.
    With a CV joint I hear all the rules change
    I currently get a bad vibration when mostly when decelerating and some what at steady cruise.
    What degree should I aim for on rear pinion angle.
    I've gone up, down, can't find a sweet spot.

2. Ralph

Ralph

Here's a great demonstration of the problem:

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

With the CV joint the shaft should not speed up nor slow down (hence the name) so I would set the pinion parallel to the shaft so it doesn't either.

4. BJR

BJR

Great video, explains it so even I can understand it.

5. What are you running for a pinion and driveshaft angle? I posted the links cause I have found the trans down pinion up design is not always possible. I have run pinion down on several cars and it works fine. Helps with floor clearance and other issues. Remember though when pinion down you add the driveshaft angle to get your working angle.

6. Andy

Andy

I like to run pinion down as you state. It helps clearance and with the rear rotation center forward, the angles stay good longer. I use a didgital angle finder from HF and set the working angles to be the same.
    I like to post the factory 60 Chevy angles with the two piece driveshaft using three joints, The pinion is down.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Wouldn't this cause the needle bearing/cup issues at the rearend?
    I always though some angle was needed to allow them to rotate back and forth.

8. I'll try matching driveshaft angle and pinion angle to each other.
    Maybe that will smooth out the vibration I currently have.

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The rear end is set up with the pinion and shaft being parallel at standard ride height. As the rear end moves up and down through the suspension travel, the angle changes and caps and needle bearings rotate, providing any necessary lubrication.