Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Paint Scheme?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TJ2, Feb 21, 2015.

1. TJ2

TJ2
    from Bel Air,Md

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424527745.587710.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424527811.457822.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424527875.221450.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424527922.661573.jpg

Coupe comes out of paint ( Satin Black ) in two weeks. Trying to decide which direction to go on finishing, Lettering or Flames again.
    Also, anyone know a good Flamer, Striper or Letterer in the Baltimore area?

2. TJ2

TJ2
    from Bel Air,Md

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424528739.315977.jpg
    Lettering rendering

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

None of 'em look traditional to me...except perhaps the one with the logo on the door, which would be nice without the logo. IMHO...you asked.

volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'd do scallops but it's really a personal decision.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Pinstripe it only.

gwhite and flatford39 like this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Drive it with nothing and see if you like it. You can always flame or letter later.

7. REBEL57

REBEL57

You asked for an opinion between the two pictured choices only.

So between the two, I prefer the shop logo.

Flames I think are overdone, the logo to me gives a more of an individual feel.

A good sign guy can add attitude with stylized Fonts and color.

Just my opinion as asked.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Hnstray likes this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, like the logo and I would do it w/ vinyl, so its easy to remove if you change your mind on the look for your ride, by the way , NICE. !

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, if that's the flame design, pinstripe only.
    Sorry, but that flame layout looks awful...
    If you're set on flames, be sure to find someone that's really good or you'll do more damage than good.

lurker mick and kiwijeff like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, was rendering done just for you for your car? is roadster yours? none of the above is my suggestion, neither really do anything for car.

11. I vote no on the flames. I like speed shop logos, but that isn't a logo the Loper's ever used...and they are still in business. Might have a small issue with you painting that on your car. Go with a good pinstripe design and add to it later if you want more.

12. I'd do the logo, but so and so's speed shop has been done to death Ed Gein leather goods might be a good one. wicarnut should get it, every one else will have to google Ed Gein!

37hotrod and wicarnut like this.
  13. brady1929

brady1929

14. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

My vote is flames but not as thick and far back. You will catch a lot of crap for your satin, believe me, no matter what you do. Personally, I like satin. I also dig suttle pin striping on a coupe, but that wasn't a choice.

15. JMHO,,less is more.

Keep it simple,a little pinstripe is enough. HRP

gwhite likes this.
  16. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I think your flames are getting flamed a little because the artist's rendering is a little off. If you can make them look as good as the yellow roadster, I think they'd be alright. Personally, I'd go gloss black with some ghost pinstripes to match the engine or interior colors... not sure what they'd be from the pics. Maybe a dark maroon?

17. If you really want flames make them wild. HRP

[​IMG]

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would consider ghost flames, I personally like it more subtle

19. I like the flames better than some lame logo.

20. Tony

Tony

I agree with HRP, less is more.
    And if that more is where you want to take it, then make it radical.
    I love flames, but sometimes it's nice to have the overall car 'speak' for itself and not have anything draw your attention from the whole package.....
    That makes sense to me but i'm on a heavy dose of cold meds right now so who knows :)

But i'd leave it clean with nothin' but body color.

Tony

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  21. williebill

williebill

How about Ed Gein Costumes? Ed Gein Tayloring?

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  22. Since you asked...none of the above. The "69" logo is one of the most crass & juvenile things I've ever seen (6th grade called and wants its logo back) and the flames are, well...unfortunate. Neither is traditional in the strictest sense. Why not put a nice lacquer paint job on it with subtle pinstriping? @HOTRODPRIMER is right; less is more.

brokenspoke and X38 like this.
  23. It's your hot rod....so do what ever trips your trigger as you will be the only one that has to live with it. But you will have to put up with what every ones think's of what direction you go with it.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Flames work with a FULL hood IMO, but just add to the something is missing look without the hood. Bob

25. roundvalley

roundvalley

Lose the logo.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bad flames will always be bad flames. Less is often more as they say, but in HRPs post more is best as the execution is spot on .
    If you can't do flames don't.

27. I'm quoting because it saves me typing it all again. Thanks gwhite, and you said it more politely than me too;)

I will add that fake speed shop signs and class designations are as bad as fake blowers, Olds covers and injection.

28. TJ2

TJ2
    from Bel Air,Md

Whoa, they said this was a tough crowd. Glad I didn't mention it's glass.

1927graham likes this.
  29. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I find the wilder or louder the paint job is the quicker I get tired of it.......

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love going the distance on things and going for subtle things that take a minute to catch sight of. Logo? Are you in business? Is that your shop or are you getting paid to advertise? The flames are like crab claws with arthritis. You need someone who can make them flow and even overlap in a place or 2. And on a hoodless coupe, 37kid said it right. A full flame job without a hood seems to be missing something important, so that said I'd do something like a small version of "comic book" flames. I shagged this off of an image search to show what I mean by "comic book" flames. Not the whole thing, but look at the shapes to the sides of the art work, that shredded and particle look, imagine that taking up about 1/3 of the cowl/door area and nothing on the top or deck. Another less is more approach, maybe...

[​IMG]