Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 PU Y-Block now Hemi Powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ratamahata, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Just came back from my vacation , I appreciate your help...

2. Yeah, sure I can find something , only I have to dig more deeply ...

3. Hola!!
    Hi, thanks yes ... I think the concept is understanding in our country , slowly , but finally ...

4. Some preliminary work on the frame... Wow...
    Something like a farm fix...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  5. That's all for now ... later :
    Welding visible or large cracks...
    Sandblast the rails...
    Fill some holes...
    Weld others, now visible cracks, due to sandblasting
    Put metal reinforcements placed inside the frame... in places where the frame was totally broken ...

Stogy and slv63 like this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great project..
    I would hesitate choosing a Y block for your project. Spacing on those engines at the firewall is an issue on that year truck. 32's firewall sticks out into the engine compartment farther than 33-34 trucks. Good luck and have fun!

Stogy likes this.
  7. ratamahata,

Great project truck, I am building this Y-block '33 pickup with my father.

We purchased a Wilcap adaptor which allows us to run any Chevrolet automatic transmission.

Petejoe's post above is good information, the length of the Y-block required us to move the placement of the cab back 3", recess the '33 firewall 1-1/2" and we may still not be done. We used a heavy truck frame, which matches the profile in the front (minus the nice 32 frame reveal) and since it was a long lumber truck we had more than enough length to start with.

Here are a couple links to the '33 project

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/thrashing-on-my-dads-33-truck-pics.473875/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-can-a-hack-get-done-in-a-week.790394/

Here are a couple pics

Before we recessed the firewall
    [​IMG]

My dad cutting the spot welds to move the firewall back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  8. Petejoe:
    Thanks for the information... I really could not cut or change for a later firewall, I like the look as well...

Stogy likes this.
  9. Thanks for the info...
    I liked your project, especially working together with your father ... I wonder how many inches longer had to be the hood...

10. From memory, the front cab mounts are 4" back from the original location. The firewall is flush at the top/front. I'd have to look again but I think I cheated the grill shell mount forward another 3/4".

To be honest, I don't know that I would do the Y-block again, the truck is for my dad and he wants a vintage Ford in a Ford. It will need a remote oil filter as the steering shaft comes out just below the stock Y-block location, the hood sides will be real close to the exhaust, etc.... but its his truck

Couple different pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  11. Southfork

Southfork

Let's see a picture of the other end of your fixture for dropping the front beam axle. Inquiring minds want to know.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Good news!! A good friend of mine doing some patchs and fixes to the frame... Glad to have a friend around the corner with this weld skills...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  13. hata,

Yes it is good to have talented friends, good going.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Guys Im very happy I got the original 32 car mask for the project ... also was repairing a heavy 32 axel ... I made two holes with a larger bit and place two bushings and weld a washer on each side .. .
    The old engine "Y" block that planned to use ... was not what I had thought ... it was Argentina manufacturing with little compression in the cylinder heads,
    due to low octane gasoline in our country...
    .... But ... a beast is coming and I dream soon it will be in my place with A883 gearbox barracuda ... The beast is a 354 ci. from a 1957 HEMI truck ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, elgringo71 and kiwijeff like this.
  15. elgringo71

elgringo71

If it's from a 1957 it might be a 392 Hemi which is even better.

Stogy likes this.
  16. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Looks great sir!
    I actually spent some time living in Paraguay a few years back. My parents just moved back from there too. We were about 30 minutes from the border of Argentina (by the Parana river).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  17. Hey 23dragster did you live In Asunción?

Stogy likes this.
  18. 392 I liked mmm!

Stogy likes this.
  19. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

We lived in Fram (although our address was for the town of Carmen), which was about 5 hours bus ride to Asunción.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Hey guys! Lots of time passing... No Hemi engine for now! Goods News! I drop some axles!

1463420441365.jpg 1463420307794.jpg 1463420326120.jpg 1463420346986.jpg 1463420377944.jpg

Sent from my XT1068 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  21. elgringo71

elgringo71

Very nice work on the axle. I'm glad to see the progress. Have you decided what motor you are going to use yet?

Stogy likes this.
  22. Alamo-Kid

Alamo-Kid

That Truck looks to be right hand drive... won't that cause him some linkage issues? or maybe not those parts may be easy to come by down there?

Stogy likes this.
  23. Hey Guys!! I found a Heart for the 32... Looks like a HD 292 casting looks like a C1AE block... I found another complete engine and a pair of ECR heads with bigs exhaust valves, Sodium filled valves... IMG-20181020-WA0030.jpeg IMG-20181020-WA0032.jpeg

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and elgringo71 like this.
  24. Stogy likes this.
  25. IronTrap

IronTrap

Great work!

Stogy likes this.