Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Swingin' Stances of San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 20, 2015.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The Swingin' Stances of San Bernardino

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Not a doubt in my mind,I would go with the Model A,,,I'm still a big fan of the stink bug look! HRP

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

Then HRP and I wouldn't have to argue over who gets what.I'm big on stance,it makes or breaks a car.The '40 is nice,but a little too period bad.I wouldn't leave it as it is,but it's a decent start.I've never been big on "ass up" hot rods,a little rake is nice,but too much of a good thing is a bad thing ;)

Special Ed likes this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both are to the extreme but it works way better on the A. A delivery ought to be a sinister sneaky hot rod, low, all dark, maybe even does work for a race team or shop. Too much on the 40 so I'm hopping into the A. Were it mine I'd paint it and little else.

5. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Bad to the Bone...long time fan of the "A"

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Like the A, except those spindle wheels belong on an altered....

7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These two rides are prime examples of what fueled my fire when I was a kid. I lived for the next R&C issue every month! Jake Jacobs was on this same bandwagon with his original RPU "jitney" version...two tone,flake,real americans,ect. I just flat love that era. Great thread idea, thanks for the memory jog! EDIT: To answer your question...I'll take one of each please!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  8. That's what makes hot rods fun,we all like something different..proof in the pudding is my old pickup!

The "ass up" style got in my eyes many years ago and I still like it to this day! HRP

[​IMG]

J.Ukrop likes this.
  9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

MAN BOTH OF THESE CARS ARE BADASS

-Brent- likes this.
  10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

THE SEDAN DELIVERY ALWAYS FASCINATED ME FROM THE BEGINNING BUT THE A COUPE IS JUST RIGHT FOR THE TIME!

CRAB LOUIE IMG_0043.jpg

11. Church

Church
    from South Bay

John Davies coupe slays me!

12. 1929rats

1929rats

I think the sedan delivery is tops!!!! Love the over the top diamond tuck on the running boards!

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I don't mean any offense to the guys with '40s-50s styled cars - I love those too - but I hope to see a resurgence in '60s style cars. And I don't mean they should all have lace and panel paint, or be some kind of straight axle drag car. In the '60s, there were a lot of hot rods built that were just clean, with mild custom touches and some kind of eye-catching stance and wheels. Like these two cars. They're both awesome!

Some examples we all know - Dean Lowe's RPU, HEMI32's dad's 5w, a whole bunch of the Early Times cars. Speaking of, is JimA still planning a book about the ET car club?

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I HEARD THAT

15. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Gotta Love this Look!!!! Bryan Talbert's A Sedan and most of the cars from the Early Times's had this stance as well!!! Bring this back as well as RnC!!!!!!

16. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Well said. I agree.

need louvers ? likes this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

The Model A does it for me! The twelve spokes are a little over the top but who cares?

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That California Rake has always been badass. It just screams "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch."

Edit: Of course, you have to have the hp to back it up, or it fails miserably.

kidcampbell71 and wojojo like this.
  19. slammed

slammed

Both. Variety without clutter, excessive add ons by an over enthusiastic builder. Stick to a specific look/era and slowly go from there. Shiny finished is always welcomed.

Muttley likes this.
  20. autobilly

autobilly

" So the question is: which one would you rather pilot when the light turns green?"
    Niether, but they're both interesting to look at and contemplate.

21. I agree with HRP! The rake on the A is perfect.:cool: Always go with the rake:eek:
    [​IMG]

22. Stance is everything!

23. von Dyck

von Dyck

Like the "A" coupe. What, IMO, would improve the look and not detract from the '60s vibe would be to drop the headlight bar, and shorten the rear fender tails 2-3". That angular Panhard rod needs some correct geometry!
    Sedan Delivery: love the dressed Olds engine and the Halibrand Quickchange. The diamond vinyl is overdone, the way I see it.
    The '60s were tough on DIY rodders - if you had a decent job, you would typically buy Detroit hi-performance instead of long hours of blood, sweat and tears buildin' yer own! My hat is off to to those who chose to "build" during that era. I, too, was one of them!

catdad49 likes this.
  24. brad2v

brad2v

Love the coupe, with the possible exception of the spindle mounts. The delivery is also pretty cool, but to me, the light colored fenders against the dark body doesn't work as well on the fat fendered car. Really like the upholstery in and on both of 'em, and the stink-bug stance, but I was born in '71, so my earliest rod exposure was to cars just like this.

catdad49 likes this.
  25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I agree. The other day I saw a 60 Chevy Biscayne 2 door post, repainted the original gold with a white top. It wasn't lowered or raised, just stock with chrome reverse rims and thin line white walls, in short, it had a clean look that was eye catching.

catdad49 likes this.
  26. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

27. When I was a kid on the east coast (Maryland near D.C.) almost all the customs I remember were tail draggers. After moving to Southern California in 1959 and discovering tails up I always liked the rake much more.

28. "Mad Hatter T Party"
    [​IMG]
    It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
    [​IMG]
    And, we was swing-in.
    [​IMG]
    Was thinking about taking some swing out and then put some 60's
    back with shag carpeting the interior, NOT.

29. von Dyck

von Dyck

Englewood??? Bill Krech of Inglewood Tire and Auto (Inglewood California) built racing slicks.
    Jack Engle built and sold racing cams out of Engle,s Machine Shop (Santa Monica).
    Just so the youngsters know.

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I completely agree...I was working off of the R&C article (attached)

Attached Files:

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.